Green Tokyo

Green Tokyo's Neo Scorcher Build

So, here's a little back story if you wish to hear it. I have a son who is nearing 1 and a half years old and I bought him some cheap crap RC from Ebay to smash around the house with and get him handling something that isn't the Xbox controller. It lit my bulb. It wasn't long before I was rummaging around in the attic for my old Kyosho nitro. The ****** still runs, can you believe it?! After all these years! I wound up shattering a gear in the rear differential and I'm still waiting on that part to fix it (I've pretty much given up on it arriving). Yes, I had a look around online and found the TT-02B....I wanted the Plasma Edge 2 and went through a bunch of stuff that I won't bore you with. But I took it, and went for the Neo Scorcher. Here's a build diary...not that you haven't seen this before.

spacer.png

• Like 3

I've ordered the aluminium prop shaft (54501) and the aluminium prop joints (54502). Unfortunately I am still waiting on the joints being delivered...but, no fuss. I will press ahead and assemble as far as nothing getting too locked down or buried. To save unscrewing everything to swap out parts. I haven't screwed down the casings over the diff gears because of this, and made notes in the manual to remind me to do it. Fingers crossed the prop joints arrive tomorrow.

spacer.png

Moved on to assembling the differential gears.

spacer.png

...and just dropped them into position on the chassis.

spacer.png

...for now, that's as far as I wish to go until the prop joints arrive. I'll press ahead to step 20 in the manual and prep the dampers, so they're ready for installation when the time comes.

- Damien

• Like 5

Not too much progress regarding the chassis today. I'm still awaiting delivery of the Prop Joints for the shaft. 

The shocks/dampers assembled. That was fun! Man, Tamiya are really tight on that damper fluid aren't they? Yep, I managed to spill some...but yet acquired a little hydraulic oil from work. Fitted tyres to the wheels looking for some sort of progress while waiting for postman to deliver shiny blue parts. 

Fingers crossed for the prop joints tomorrow, as I really want to get to work on the chassis. 

Having a lot of fun none the less! Can't wait to have this running! #bigkid

PSX_20200605_230339.jpg

• Like 3

Tight with fluid? Are you drinking it? lol I've always got at least half a bottle from building shocks with the stock oil.

What hydraulic oil did you put in there?

I agree about the fluid. There wasn't a drop left when I built my neo scorcher. When I built my monster beetle there was loads left over though. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 10:06 AM, TwistedxSlayer said:

Tight with fluid? Are you drinking it? lol I've always got at least half a bottle from building shocks with the stock oil.

What hydraulic oil did you put in there?

There seems to be literally just enough to fill the shocks in this kit I have here. 

It's a standard 32 hydraulic oil. Seems to have done the trick anyway. 

----

Ok, so my prop joints turned up...time to crack on. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Installed the motor and gear casings

spacer.png

Then worked on the suspension system. The shocks have been screwed on. Just didn't get a picture of it yet. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's all for this evening. Looking forward to moving on to the next stages tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Pressed on a lot yesterday. The trouble is I didn't really stop to take many photographs. I was too eager to get it built. 

Steering linkage, motor casing and switch installed... 

spacer.pngspacer.png

Got my servo the wrong way around because I wasn't paying attention. 

spacer.png

Ahhh... This is better... 

spacer.png

From here, I didn't document too much as it was just fitting in the electronics and receiver case (which was a very tight fit). Lots of fiddling around ensued. 

Then it was just fitting the wheels. 

spacer.png

It seems like a very brief build thread with not so much customisation. But, that is something I would like to do with this car in the future. 

Anyway, it runs... and I'm surprised by its speed. 

Onwards to the body work >>>

Cutting out the body shell. Ready for painting. I'm taking it to work tomorrow for some smoothing down of the edges to try and get some neat lines. Had a few beers and decided to try and get creative with the lighting. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Waiting on paint...should be here tomorrow fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

Starting masking up over the weekend to get the paint job done...just a small update here. 

It's all finished now, but haven't taken any photos yet. Should be doing that tonight. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Green Tokyo

Where were you taking the photos of the build process? They look great, really neat. 

Bodyshell is coming along nicely. You'll start to understand why folks recommend Tamiya masking tape ;)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Where were you taking the photos of the build process? They look great, really neat. 

Bodyshell is coming along nicely. You'll start to understand why folks recommend Tamiya masking tape ;)

The ones with the white backgrounds are done on my computer desk. It's quite a long desk, so this is where the build took place also. I just laid out some plain A4 paper for the background. 

The more "arty" pics were taken on the dining room table. Again with A4 paper laid out and blu tak on the placemats...i stood those up for a backdrop/wall. I also used my little photographer led lamps with some gels for the lighting. 

I hear you on tamiya masking. 

----

Finished. Better quality pictures inbound tonight. 

spacer.png

Very cool, I've been wanting to order some 'background paper' from Amazon but I'd have to explain to my wife that it's for photographing toy cars :lol:

Just an FYI, maybe crop or blur that image, it shows your full name and address :ph34r:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Very cool, I've been wanting to order some 'background paper' from Amazon but I'd have to explain to my wife that it's for photographing toy cars :lol:

Just an FYI, maybe crop or blur that image, it shows your full name and address :ph34r:

Haha...im sure it would be fine. 

Yeah...i noticed that. Oops. Uploaded cropped image now. 

Postie note is for my new wheels, so I can run this on tarmac as well. 

Ok...it's been bashed about a bit...broke a wheel on a wall collision...maintenance day is upon us...

spacer.png

I've also received some parts from Fyber Lyte, with many thanks to @ALEXKYRIAK. This build is going to have a little transformation in the coming months...ill update as it happens.

spacer.png