Sign in to follow this  
OckyM

Plasma with Super Stock motor – RC system cutting out

I've upgraded the motor in my Plasma Edge II from a 540 to a Super Stock. Although it works, the RC system cuts out every few minutes. Could it be overheating?

The car has a standard Tamiya brushless ESC, and a 7.2v 3000mAh battery.

22 minutes ago, OckyM said:

I've upgraded the motor in my Plasma Edge II from a 540 to a Super Stock. Although it works, the RC system cuts out every few minutes. Could it be overheating?

The car has a standard Tamiya brushless ESC, and a 7.2v 3000mAh battery.

Yeah it will be the ESC thermalling.  A friend has run the TBLE-02S in a Bigwig with a Super Stock without issue, but the motor is 23T and out of spec for that ESC.  If you want to use that motor then switch to a Hobbywing 1060 brushed ESC.  Otherwise, you can buy a 13.5T brushless sensored motor and run that with the TBLE-02S

• Like 1

That's really helpful. Thanks.

The gearbox clicks a lot. Do you know if it's possible to get steel differentials for the TT-02B?

3 hours ago, OckyM said:

That's really helpful. Thanks.

The gearbox clicks a lot. Do you know if it's possible to get steel differentials for the TT-02B?

Yep, GPM make the gears or you can get the DF02 diffs which are much stronger. I think the GPM just drop in, if you get the DF02 gears then you need to file down a pinion by about 1mm to make it fit. Its really easy to do, I just used a normal fie and did it by hand. If you get the whole DF02 parts bag and diff cases you get 2 diffs, a 19T steel pinion and extra screws etc. You only need to replace the rear diff though, so you can fix 2 cars with it.

Its the diff ring gear, you could try the GPM ring gear and pinion and keep the stock internals, may work

I use the kit diffs when running the kit  motor, the DF02 diffs are heavier and really slow it down. Its not an issue with a faster brushless motor though. The kit diffs are very cheap so it could be better just to replace them every few months.