•Axle

What sort of collector are you?

12 minutes ago, junkmunki said:

Like many others i got into RC in the eighties, but i my collection is based solely in on the early Tamiya stuff from the early end of the first 100. I am impartial to either on or off road, although for some reason a lot of my stuff is on road. All my models are either NIB, restored or original, but never run. They live a happy life on the shelf where they dont get broken or damaged. I also have a large collection of vintage body sets and nip spares.

My collecting isnt just confined to RC stuff though, my house is full of vintage clocks and machinery, and there is a steam locomotive in the kitchen.....

I used to own an antiques shop, and i run classic cars and have a classic boat. I think i was born 20 years too late...:huh:

J

Post lockdown visit to yours then ;)

ha

JJ

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

You have to post a picture of this. I take it one of those mini versions that kids can ride on? (But hoping you have a giant kitchen and the Flying Scotsman fits in there)

We can only hope there’s a tunnel big enough to get through to the lounge sitting on it.

Probably similar to most on here tbh ?

Started out buying / restoring all the vintage kits I couldn’t afford as a kid in the late 70s / early 80s 

But they had to repeat my old experience - so 100% original with manual, boxes, inserts, NIP vintage hop ups and period correct RC / battery / charger or each didn’t scratch my itch 

Then drifted into collecting the legacy marques I love - early Porsches -  NIB ... which sort of branched out into a few more recent limited editions w/o me realising 😂

Also old Tamiya tools, cases, stands, backpacks / bags and catalogs / RC guides 

Gosh - that’s quite a lot when I write it down 😳

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

You have to post a picture of this. I take it one of those mini versions that kids can ride on? (But hoping you have a giant kitchen and the Flying Scotsman fits in there)

Its a 3.5 inch gauge Atlantic Masie. Its about 4 feet long. Originally built in the 1950s, its another of my 'will get around to' things.

J

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, junkmunki said:

Its a 3.5 inch gauge Atlantic Masie. Its about 4 feet long. Originally built in the 1950s, its another of my 'will get around to' things.

J

So thats a model real working steam engine train? $^€¥!/ I have been aboiding trains but if I can get a real steam engine one...

6 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

So thats a model real working steam engine train? $^€¥!/ I have been aboiding trains but if I can get a real steam engine one...

Yes, its a real steam loco. Its only 3.5" gauge, but it will pull a carriage with 4 people sat on it with ease.

I dont have any video of mine running, but the is an identical engine running in this youtube clip. LBSC Maisie Locomotive - GNR Atlantic No4436 - CMES

If you search for it on google video you will find it.

J

• Like 2

1 minute ago, junkmunki said:

Yes, its a real steam loco. Its only 3.5" gauge, but it will pull a carriage with 4 people sat on it with ease.

J

They're amazing eh. Many years ago a friend and I lent an engine hoist to his colleague and he was needing it to make his mini train. There is a park localish to me where these guys take these trains and give rides to kids for $2 a ride. He said this new one he was building would pull 4 ton I think! The guage must be about 8" but I don't know for sure, pretty cool though.

So strange to think this little home built thing can pull 4T when my new ute has a 3.5T tow rating...

• Like 2

Back in 1983-4 I had a Super Champ which I sold in 1985 and got a Hornet. I don't even remeber what happened to that Hornet.

About 6 montsh ago a mate for mine found a 1983 Sand Rover in his garage; it used to belong to my brother, anbd he gave it to me. Around the same time an old school mate invited me along to running his old Dirt Thrasher - this got me hooked back onto the old Tamiya bug. With some hinting my wife bought me a TT02-B Neo Scorcher for christmass; since then I have bought a rere Hornet, rere Frog (I always wanted one), a Comical Hornet (My wife got a Comical Frog at the same time) and a GF06 King Yellow. In the mail is a SW01 Lunch Box. Amongst this is an M07 built with a Mini body and an M07R still unbuilt with an Alfa Romeo Mto body.

From no cars in November 2019 I have gone to 9 cars by May 2020. I am totally comfortable with this.

• Like 1

Back in the late 80's early 90's I had a few that I absolutely loved and since being on lockdown I restored my daughters old hornet which then got me buying a few more. In the last 2 months I've bought myself a grasshopper, monster beetle, neo scorcher, boomerang and a drunken purchase of an HPI vorza. I'd love to get a sand scorcher and a wild one at some point. I only really use the hornet, grasshopper and vorza. I don't consider myself a collector though. A case of see it want it I think.

• Like 1

Quick afterthought to my earlier post 

Being old school, I never knew about modern Tamiya Club until getting back into the hobby with my kids 

And have since been massively grateful for the help, decency + honesty of innumerable people here 

So I’m def a TC collector above everything else 👍

• Like 4