Sign in to follow this  
Hl0107

Tamiya Bruiser ReRe transmision question

Hello guys,

Yesterday I finished assembling the transmission after various unsuccessful attempts.

I think i got it right now but I wanted to ask you if the transmission turn very slow if you turn it with your hands.
If this ok?
If there a method that I can use to test prior to mount it in the chassis?

Thanks again for all your help,

Hector

I imagine you could hook the motor up and run power through the transmission with it on the bench in the various gears. There are some parts (G2, G4, IIRC) that can be clipped into the shift rod to hold it accurately in the three gears.

• Thanks 1

On completion of the g.box I panicked because the selector fork was solid. I thought I double, triple checked whilst building it was right. Put the motor across a battery so everything turned over...absolutely fine. So I agree with Saito2 quickly wire it up, fingers crossed.

• Thanks 1

Without the motor end in place you should be able to spin the spur gear with your finger and shift through all gears manually with the the shift rod. When you shift to low you may have to move the front wheel drive output a little so the 4WD ratio cogs line up.

i found how you tighten the gear box cases together makes a big difference to how easy/smoothly you can shift with a finger. I tightened and sacked off screws till the shift was silky smooth.

• Thanks 1

Thanks,

I hook it up and front wheels are turning in one direction and the back wheels in other.

1 hour ago, Hl0107 said:

Thanks,

I hook it up and front wheels are turning in one direction and the back wheels in other.

It's likely that one of the axles is upside down.

• Thanks 1

thank you!

SupraChrgd82 you are right!
My wife told me a few days ago that I shouldn't  assemble the cars after work because I get here too tired and usually if someone is tired you make mistakes. 
Well... she is right.

Yeah, I looked up the instruction manual and saw the axles don't have a leaf spring perch like the old Bruiser does.  I would have made the same mistake. Glad you're sorted, and looking forward to some photos...

On 6/29/2020 at 9:41 AM, kid168 said:

Curious- How does the shifting work?

It's pretty much a scaled down simplified real world manual transmission.  Shift forks move the gears along common shafts. Pretty fun, challenging, and interesting build.

If you can make the 3rd channel act like a 3-position switch, yes.  If not, not sure what you can do.

The most ideal radio is one where you can have the shifting servo be controlled as a 3-position switch by the transmitter, plus endpoint adjustment/limiting at both ends of travel in order to ensure that the shift servo isn't trying to push the shift forks too far (or not far enough) to properly engage the drive dogs.  A lot of the shifting adjustments are done mechanically via the shifting pushrod and some springs to aid in positioning and drive dog engagement when the gears aren't meshing during the shifting process, but having the additional control and limiting helps with fine-tuning.

I see. If I dont have a 3 channel controller and i wanna run the Bruiser, is it possible? like manually shifting the gears?

2 hours ago, kid168 said:

If I dont have a 3 channel controller and i wanna run the Bruiser, is it possible? like manually shifting the gears?

Yes. The kit provides parts (G2 and G4,  IIRC) that clip onto the gear selector rod to lock the transmission in one of the three separate gears of your choosing when using a 2 channel radio.

Can I switch gears manually anytime or I have to lock it to the gear of my choice forever?

43 minutes ago, kid168 said:

Can I switch gears manually anytime or I have to lock it to the gear of my choice forever?

I've never tried it, but the G parts that go on the selector rod to hold it in gear, clip on externally to the transmission so I imagine you could reach up in there and switch clips (and thus gears). Its not overly convenient, but it doesn't lock the transmission in one gear forever.

Thanks for the info. Saw a Flysky GT5 6 channel Tx, will this work to shift the gears?