07LowRider

Vintage Midnight Pumpkin needs upgrades

Installed the new ESC. Not too hard. Pleased with the pickup and wheelies. A bit disappointed in the responsiveness in going to reverse. All in all a good move though. Now let’s talk more too end speed. Motor recommendations?

The reverse is a single pull back to brake , then release to neutral and pull back again for reverse it stops the gearbox from locking up like the old MSC's to save the gears . Takes a little getting used to after an MSC . A Sport Tuned or Torque Tuned goes well in these trucks . I've got a TT in one of my LB's and with a NiMh pack it pulls wheelies with ease and has got some grunt for a just over stock motor , the Sport Tuned is one up from that again . The TT can bought for £11 inc P+P at the mo. so cheap as chips

• Like 1

Are you running with stock A arms and dampers ? . You can try restricting the stroke of the damper by placing a spacer under to top of the damper rod on top of the chassis ledge , this will hold the arms higher and improve camber . Steering alignment is made by centreing the servo with your radio 'live' before the servo saver is fitted to centre it  .

I am running all stock items, however the shocks are installed differently than the instruction manual suggests (bought this as a prebuilt truck). The shocks are mounted with a u clamp that is fixed to the chassis with a screw and nut. 

7792C7B3-A9B4-4309-AD1A-CFCAE5F4BE39.jpeg

EC87B8E6-71B2-4071-A932-C5B976204EB1.jpeg

If the shocks have old oil in them , then they will need to be stripped and rebuilt using fresh oil . The damper piston can be restricted in stroke length by fitting a plastic spacer inside the damper on the piston rod under the piston itself , thus restricting the arm drop

• Like 1

21 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

If the shocks have old oil in them , then they will need to be stripped and rebuilt using fresh oil . The damper piston can be restricted in stroke length by fitting a plastic spacer inside the damper on the piston rod under the piston itself , thus restricting the arm drop

Any recommendations on where to get said shock parts?  Or should I just got for a new shock set and if so what’s good?  eBay seems to have the most option out there since covid is screwing with every aspect of the world. 

I bought some adjustable dampers from the Bay for not much bucks . I filled them with medium Tamiya oil and changed the rear springs for softer ones - they work well

P5100005.JPG

P5100004.JPG

• Like 1

All you need are some Tamiya red o=rings and some new shock oil. Those are already upgraded from the stock friction shocks.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 3:41 PM, Biz73 said:

All you need are some Tamiya red o=rings and some new shock oil. Those are already upgraded from the stock friction shocks.

You know of a place online that has them?

Is doing the 5th shock hop up worth it to help with the rear axle or are those little springs that came with it sufficient?

4 hours ago, 07LowRider said:

Is doing the 5th shock hop up worth it to help with the rear axle or are those little springs that came with it sufficient?

imho the gearbox brace is a far better way to do it.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/G72GAY3NL/w01002-01-cw01-lunchbox-pumpkin-trans-brace

5th shock just slows down the movement, brace stops it, but still allows articulation.

If you are not in the states shapeways gets a bit expensive because of shipping, there is a version of this on thingiverse that you could get printed BUT be aware that the .stl file has a fault, which causes the part to be printed in 2 pieces. It needs a correction to get it to print correctly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark_C said:

imho the gearbox brace is a far better way to do it.

I've got an LB with 5th shock and one with an AmPro brace . I like the AmPro brace as it's easier to fit than the 5th shock is to make and fit . As for performance I'm not sure either way to be fair as I also have sway bars F&R too

• Like 1