Sign in to follow this  
Superluminal

TL-01

Bought an old kit with a TL-01 chassis - never had one before. Just spent most of this evening stripping it down and cleaning it.

Not sure why im posting but just some general observations really. Feels like a bit of a step backwards from a TA-02 which from what i can see was the previous touring car range - have built a few of those and they had oil dampers and ball diffs and were always enjoyable to work on.

The TL01 just feels like it was made to fill a budget requirement. Spring holder shocks and what seems like the worst part - shock towers moulded into the chassis halves. One of the mounting holes for a damper step screw has split so it looks like a whole new chassis sprue is required. Also the motor mounting is part of the chassis not a separate motor mount like the TA02 which doesnt look very robust and is not upgradeable to an alloy one.

Plus theres about 5 million step screws. Step screws are used in places i never imagined there to be. I hate step screws.

Now im thinking as i need to buy a new chassis anyway because of thd split hole will it be worth it? I have some left over CVAs i can use on it. Are they good runners?

• Like 1

They are surprisingly good runners despite what appear to be multiple flaws and inadequacies. According to my father BITD they were the car of choice for budget racing, out-performing hopped up TA-02s, TT-01s and the like. The LA version was particularly effective on the track, but even ordinary ones did remarkably well. 

• Like 1

Hmmmmmmm........now im intrigued.

Might start checking out some spares and bits then. Apart from bearings does anything else need strengthening or replacing?

11 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Hmmmmmmm........now im intrigued.

Might start checking out some spares and bits then. Apart from bearings does anything else need strengthening or replacing?

Bearings, oil shocks, a steel pinion and ball connectors with adjusters in place of the fixed steering links and step screws are the key upgrades, as well as possibly a set of carbon braces for the shock towers and TG10 knuckles to give a bit of castor.

I also like to replace the front inner hinge pins and front bumper with the U-shaped shaft and kick-up bumper from the TL-01B as these are more robust and provide greater protection to the front arms and their fixing points.

Depending on your motor choice and intended use, you may also consider the speed tuned gearset to lower the FDR.

• Like 3

Just been to ebay. Tony is waking up tomorrow morning best part of 70 quid better off. Good work Turnip - takes a lot of bearings!! At least they are all the same size.

• Like 1

I really loved this chassis as I had one in my teens. The TL01LA is where it’s best, to some extent that transforms the car from pretty basic to relatively sophisticated. 

avoid the carbon driveshaft and lightweight chassis if it’s a runner, they where both too fragile for street bashing. 

Juls

• Like 1

They were always meant to be the budget chassis, you need to bear in mind the TA02 was superseded by the TA03, the first belt-driven Tamiya touring car. Both released the very same year; 1997. The TL01 was always cheaper.

They're pretty frugal and parts were cheap. Lasted almost a decade before the TT01 released, becoming the new entry-level touring chassis.

It's like suggesting that your Nissan Micra seems a little basic compared to your older Skyline GTR. Well yes, but so it should be for the intended market and price!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ACCEL said:

I want to see.......................

Its a pile of bits drying on the drainer at the moment following last nights washing up.

Resized_20200606_104124_4075.jpeg

• Like 1

Hey i see!

just a nice reminder for what i'm in for with a Mugen Bulldog, Oh! Charming i'm sure.

i'll be providing popcorn on this build, trash can tub sizes of them for your remodel :D

Staying tuned here on the same Bat channel at the same Bat time.

• Like 1

I rate the TL01, used to race one at a local club. 

Retired mine then treated it to some hop ups then shelf bound. 

IMG_20200606_224932.jpg

• Like 4

Seeing it like that, it does look quite compact.

Have been searching around today for some more bits. Seems like all the parts to convert it to the "LA" spec are pretty rare now so will probably leave as it is. Same as the carbon shock braces - they seem to have all evaporated. To be honest though - it was always going to be a terrible idea moulding the damper mounts directly into the chassis. They always cop it when things go bad. At least the chassis halves were relatively cheap though and seem to be readily available still - £16 from Tony.

1 minute ago, Superluminal said:

Seeing it like that, it does look quite compact.

Have been searching around today for some more bits. Seems like all the parts to convert it to the "LA" spec are pretty rare now so will probably leave as it is. Same as the carbon shock braces - they seem to have all evaporated. To be honest though - it was always going to be a terrible idea moulding the damper mounts directly into the chassis. They always cop it when things go bad. At least the chassis halves were relatively cheap though and seem to be readily available still - £16 from Tony.

Fibre-lite produce a chassis brace

https://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/fl/cars/tamiya/tl01.html

• Thanks 1

Yes!!! I hadnt thought of them. You legend!!!

Bought from them before for my TT02 top deck which was really good quality. Heading there now....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

At least the chassis halves were relatively cheap though and seem to be readily available still - £16 from Tony.

The lightweight chassis is a wee bit rarer now! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, svenb said:

The lightweight chassis is a wee bit rarer now! 

From what I can see in photos it looks fairly similar to the standard one but with bigger holes. The standard chassis doesnt feel particularly heavyweight although the chrome plated drive shaft was a bit of a lump!

If you really want to go TL01LA and don’t mind aftermarket parts...

https://www.shapeways.com/product/8CZYNGHYK/tamiya-tl01-long-arm-front-arm-for-modern-parts

and this discussion has been had before...

with these suggestions...

An easy improvement for stability is to replace the original TL01 C-hubs with TB01 C-hubs. This changes the negative caster in positive caster. With these C-hubs the TL01 is less nervous. Not my own idea, I found this improvement somewhere on the internet. Combined with toe-in rear uprights you will have a better running TL01.

Or

An easier option (To finding an original LA kit) is the yeah racing WR02/GF01 long arm kit. No sway bars, but it’s easier and cheaper than finding the Tamiya bits.

9 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

From what I can see in photos it looks fairly similar to the standard one but with bigger holes. The standard chassis doesnt feel particularly heavyweight although the chrome plated drive shaft was a bit of a lump!

Same size holes on mine🤔 think later regular chassis's had a cut out under the servo. 

Lightweight chassis is pretty weak really! wouldn't want to run one now! 

Carbon drive shaft is a nice bit of kit but you can make one out of 5mm carbon tube. I made one and it stood up to a 10.5t brushless. 

Thanks for linking through to those arms @Badcrumble I am going to get on the CAD today and see if i can upload a full set combined as one model. Usually reduces the price a bit. 

Another long-ish arm option to consider is sourcing the Comical WR02CB arms along with the toe in rears and tb01 front c hubs. With 4mm hexes it should just squeak in under 190mm track width, and give you better kinematics and more shock mounting options. Might not fit under a narrow tamiya touring car shell though. The wr02cb arms are about 8mm per side longer. You run the 51216 driveshafts. 

• Like 1

I have already ordered the rear toe in hubs. 

Will rebuild it with the standard arms to start with and then might give these ago. I think the only thing i dont have is the longer dog bones everything else should be in the spares box.

Will the 3d printed arms be strong enough to take the original threaded hinge screws?

2 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

I have already ordered the rear toe in hubs. 

Will rebuild it with the standard arms to start with and then might give these ago. I think the only thing i dont have is the longer dog bones everything else should be in the spares box.

Will the 3d printed arms be strong enough to take the original threaded hinge screws?

They should be. They're pretty chunky. That said, the TL01 shaft set is still available because it works on all the WT/WR chassis to 53301.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 10:46 PM, TurnipJF said:

Bearings, oil shocks, a steel pinion and ball connectors with adjusters in place of the fixed steering links and step screws are the key upgrades, as well as possibly a set of carbon braces for the shock towers and TG10 knuckles to give a bit of castor.

I also like to replace the front inner hinge pins and front bumper with the U-shaped shaft and kick-up bumper from the TL-01B as these are more robust and provide greater protection to the front arms and their fixing points.

Depending on your motor choice and intended use, you may also consider the speed tuned gearset to lower the FDR.

Slowly getting there now.

Already got some cva's left over.

Just need a steel pinion and the u shape hinge pins and bumper.

Also waiting on Fibrelyte to respond to my email for some bits too.

Resized_20200613_140746_3058.jpeg

• Like 2

Fibyrelyte make a better brace. Ask them if they have the RC Racer TL01 brace (it’s a mod of my M03 one) It acts as a shock tower too. ;)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, qatmix said:

Fibyrelyte make a better brace. Ask them if they have the RC Racer TL01 brace (it’s a mod of my M03 one) It acts as a shock tower too. ;)

Do i need two the same as both ends of the car seem pretty symmetrical?