mongoose1983

[SOLVED] Help finding a member who was shortening the rear SS arms

It was about five years ago, maybe six?

Anybody know who was working on shortening the rear arms of the Sand Scorcher VW bug?

You all stay safe and have a nice Sunday! :)

I have no idea how the SRB rear arm can be shortened, but think I know about alternative arms to use.

I'm about ot rebuild the SRB-chassis I used for the Esci/Revell/Italeri 1/9 scale VW Typ 82 Kübelwagen body. When I modified the chassis around 1985 for this purpose, I removed the hubs from the rear wheel shafts to make the rear a bit narrower and thus more suitable for the Kübelwagen body. During the ongoing rebuild, I decided that this solution is too crude, and started looking for a different way of reducing rear track.

I ended up ordering the lower wishbones for the RC Channel IRS-suspension for the SRB. Due to the pandemic, shipping is on hold and I don't know how much narrower they will make the rear track and also not which bearings to use or if I will have to fit adapters for bearings to fit at all, but I'm optimistic.

Photos of the arms below, plus of the rear hubs that I will not use. Instead I will place the bearings directly in the holes in the arms, thereby deliberately keeping the simple swing axle design (camber varying with suspension compression like the real thing) and reducing rear track. Also included is a photo of the complete IRS fitted. It gives an impression roughly how much narrower the rear track can be made when omitting the hubs.

TC84110.jpg

TC58730.JPG

MA58150%20(5).jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, Erik for always bringing some interesting information with you!

Anyway, there was some TCer in England I believe who modified the actual rear arms to make them shorter, and they looked really good. For some reason I can't locate his nickname and I'm in hopes someone in here will help. I certainly remember his SRBs were top notch, and the darker blue he used for his latest Sand Scorcher. I really want to find those links.

It was Dean aka @casethejoint. Here's the thread: https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/82718-funco-srb-build-short-rear-track-width/

I'm glad I've saved a picture in my archives as all pictures in the thread seem to be lost. I loved what he was doing, and would be nice to see the prject finished. Anyway, here's the picture I saved if you're curious.

yDlWxD8.jpg

• Like 2