Sign in to follow this  
smint

Newbie XV-01 help

Hi All, just started building my XV-01 long damper and I'm running into a couple of problems.  I'm finding some screw are super tight to screw in, its as if the screw is either too long or the hole isn't deep enough.  I've double checked the screws and i'm using the correct ones I'm also using JIS screwdriver.  There's just no way these screws are going in all the way. I'm tempted to get a drill to shave out the hole a little.

The screws im having problems with are the rear gear housing.  Anyone have any ideas?

2.thumb.jpg.c44f176f169c6e855d7f029c5868ea13.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.4bd1545783e4214636ed92acacc05a91.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.6404d08b52320c6c44f4a14c0295e6a7.jpg

You could try a little bit of grease on the screw threads, I often do this when first cutting a new thread on a new build

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Finnsllc said:

sometimes u need to tap the hole before the screw will bottom out in the correct position

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/option-parts/rc-m3x05mm-thread-forming-tap/

2 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

You could try a little bit of grease on the screw threads, I often do this when first cutting a new thread on a new build

Both options work well.

Running the screw in until it won't go further, then backing it out, going in again (rinse/repeat) works also.

Flogs your wrists though, but an electric screwdriver can help once you have the screw started by hand.

Not my favourite technique, as you don't have the control and feel as a quality hand powered driver.

• Like 1

I tend to run a M3 allen head bolt through first. The allen head is way more robust than the JIS/POZI/PHILIPS. Then when you use the kit bolt/screw you will not damage the head.

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips everyone.  I got it in.  Repeated rotations in the hole and used some grease on the tip.  

• Like 3

Tamiya makes a tool for this (thread forming tool) but as other have stated you can just use an extra screw and obtain the same results. I have made it a habit to use a tiny bit of grease on the machine screws going into plastic, especially the reinforced plastics.

• Like 1