bozatron

My Rat Rod Blitzer build

This is my first post here and really my first 1/10 build, as I have only built a SW-10 LB Mini before. I was planning on building a full size LB after the Mini, but then I stubbled across a few pics of a Blitzer Beetle and I was hooked, the LB can wait :) I bought the kit online from HK as I couldn't source one locally and then spent 2 weeks devouring as many pics and vids as I could find, which is how I found this great forum :D I really like all the baja styles and the Sand Scorcher but for mine it had to be a Rat Rod look. Unfortunately when the kit turned up the package had taken a knock during shipping and the body was badly cracked across the roof from the rear window to the sunroof. The seller and shipping company both blamed each other and neither admitted fault so I ended up with the choice of waiting for a new body, if i could find one, or trying to patch this one up. Considering the plan was always going to be a rough matt finish I decide to repair the crack and push on. I managed to fix the body with a piece of old credit card inside, some double sided tape and super glue, lets see how it holds up. For the painting I used a Warhammer spray I had lying around, Mechanicus Standard Grey and then I used Warhammer acrylics for a wash and some stone chip effects to give it that weathered look. Everything is standard except the simple steering mod of flipped front uprights. I need to sort out the shiny motor up back, but that will wait till I get better at driving ;) for now it feels fast enough with a 2S LiPo providing the oomph but i would like the motor to be darker coloured at least. 

May, not be everyones taste but I'm happy with the results so far considering its my first "proper" build, any comments welcome.

IMG_3936.jpg

IMG_3938.jpg

IMG_3939.jpg

• Like 8

What, no different colored body panels? :D

Looks great. Enjoy driving, it's a fun/capable chassis.

41 minutes ago, toyolien said:

That looks great. What did you use to do the shut lines?

Thanks, I used an acrylic paint from Warhammer, called Nuln Oil, it's used a lot in miniature and model painting as a wash coat that helps highlight recesses and highlights. 

26 minutes ago, Biz73 said:

What, no different colored body panels? :D

Looks great. Enjoy driving, it's a fun/capable chassis.

Ha, i was toying with the idea but wanted a fast "almost finished" primer coat look :)

• Like 1

Anyone know of any alternative solutions for the sunroof? I'm not sure what i'd like to do, but don't want to fit the "standard" roof?

2 hours ago, DrGoatboy said:

Looks great. I vote for custom made roof scoop instead of sunroof...

spacer.png6272139100_d9a2a5495f_b.jpg

H@LL Yeah! I was wondering about a roof scoop of some sort, but that's the full ticket. Loving that visor too. Thanks DrGoatboy :D 

• Like 1

A couple of small updates; I picked up some relatively inexpensive aluminium shocks from Xtra Speed, they look nice and feel ok but TBH I'm not sure they are a step up from the CVA units. Also this super cheap heatsink which is more just an attempt to cover up the silver-can until I can drive well enough to warrant something faster :D 

d7667f6a-b470-4e8d-9bef-04fd01c24931.JPG

51ef8c8a-7088-4036-994f-81e24edbcfa7.JPG

IMG_4139.jpg

IMG_4138.jpg

Looks good. I have always loved "rat rods" long before they were even considered cool. The only critique I can offer is a proper rat rod needs some rust on it.. ;)  I am a huge fan of flat, and satin finishes. Here is my "flat" bug. Not really a rat, but more of a military theme (actually a Wild Willy tribute). After the new wears off my build, I might add some rust details to it, and rat it a little. 

Entry 1.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Tudorp said:

Looks good. I have always loved "rat rods" long before they were even considered cool. The only critique I can offer is a proper rat rod needs some rust on it.. ;)  I am a huge fan of flat, and satin finishes. Here is my "flat" bug. Not really a rat, but more of a military theme (actually a Wild Willy tribute). After the new wears off my build, I might add some rust details to it, and rat it a little. 

Entry 1.jpg

Hi, where is the front bumper from ? Custom made ? 

17 hours ago, Tudorp said:

Entry 1.jpg

Nice build, that looks really smart! I toyed with the idea of flat green but ended up pumping for the gray. I did weather the paint a little, using a dark "oil wash" to add dirt to the recesses and then used a sponge and small brush with flat black to add the stone chips on the obvious areas, but it is hard to pick up in the photos. I can see me adding some rust at some point once it gets  bit more bashed up. 

IMG_3918.jpeg

3 hours ago, TartanSpartan said:

Hi, where is the front bumper from ? Custom made ? 

No. This is a Sand Scorcher Re-Re kit. That is the stock bumper for Sand Scorcher and other SRB kits. 

3 hours ago, Tudorp said:

No. This is a Sand Scorcher Re-Re kit. That is the stock bumper for Sand Scorcher and other SRB kits. 

Ah no probs bud cheers