Sign in to follow this  
Jonathon Gillham

TRF420 suspension upgrade

Has anyone upgraded a their TA07, TB05 or TRF419 with the the 420 suspension upgrade?  Is it worthwhile?

I'm looking at the Exotek RS7 conversion, wondering if this is worth doing at the same time (you know how it goes, already spending too much on a toy car, may as well go big when getting sign-off from the budget committee).

Its so dumb, I just want to build a new touring car for no other reason than to build it, so its like I think that doing this will scratch that itch.  Its cheaper than a new car, but can just see in a few months time a TB05 in the postman brought me thread as well as the RS7.

I kind of have the same question about 420 suspension upgrade for my EVO.7.

• Like 1

In RCtech Mike from Exotek stated to stay with the 419 Suspension due to durability reasons. Kit is nice, but through the alu inserts for the lower shock screw mount there is very few material left for the wishbone. In a crash Situation this is a weak point. Really don´t know, why Tamiya put the inserts, probably only to adjust the shock / axle ratio finer...

I´m still tempted to buy one for my Exo6, though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ruebiracer said:

In RCtech Mike from Exotek stated to stay with the 419 Suspension due to durability reasons. Kit is nice, but through the alu inserts for the lower shock screw mount there is very few material left for the wishbone. In a crash Situation this is a weak point. Really don´t know, why Tamiya put the inserts, probably only to adjust the shock / axle ratio finer...

I´m still tempted to buy one for my Exo6, though.

Interesting, thanks for that. One problem with RCTech is the threads get so long its impossible to find anything!

I think the durability is a big thing for me, need all the help i can get in that department. Onroad is so much harder on gear than offroad which seems strange given the lack of jumps. It also makes it less likely that I would buy the bits to make a second TA07 from spares...

• Like 1

I haven't, and i don't think anyone at the club has either, not that they would have been able to run to hit anything anyway. The big issue with the 419 set is the c hubs, but i only started breaking them when i went to 4mm hexes and thin wheel nuts after i put wide suspension blocks on the front. I realised that was the change and went back to 5mm hexes and the kit big wheel nuts and i haven't broken any since, despite street running and smacking concrete kerbs a lot! If you are breaking c hubs on your 07 maybe try that? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I haven't, and i don't think anyone at the club has either, not that they would have been able to run to hit anything anyway. The big issue with the 419 set is the c hubs, but i only started breaking them when i went to 4mm hexes and thin wheel nuts after i put wide suspension blocks on the front. I realised that was the change and went back to 5mm hexes and the kit big wheel nuts and i haven't broken any since, despite street running and smacking concrete kerbs a lot! If you are breaking c hubs on your 07 maybe try that? 

Funny you say that - I haven't broken a thing on mine. I've heard people say that the c hubs are a weak point, never thought about the hexes and wheelnuts affecting it. Mine is kit width which is pretty narrow.

2 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Funny you say that - I haven't broken a thing on mine. I've heard people say that the c hubs are a weak point, never thought about the hexes and wheelnuts affecting it. Mine is kit width which is pretty narrow.

Seems so long as the axle has plenty of support it doesn't transfer the load to the c hubs. Sorry to doesn't help the original question! 

24 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Seems so long as the axle has plenty of support it doesn't transfer the load to the c hubs. Sorry to doesn't help the original question! 

It looks like the original question has been answered - not worth it.

I'm still trying to decide, its my 40th next month so now is the time to buy a TRF420 or do the RS7 upgrade or something.  I don't really want to spend the money on a TRF420, but making the TA07 a carbon car is a pretty good compromise.  Wondering about the extras like the dcj's and suspension as well.  I don't think the alloy bulkheads are worth it, they're US28 each I think, which is basically half the cost of the RS7 kit to add the bulkheads as well.  Or for US10 I can get the carbon-reinforced A parts which is surely the better bet.

• Like 1

A guy in RCTech who does fantastic builds (search for wtcc's TT-02KR and FF) uses 420 suspension on both kits. He says they're definitely better.

He also does a lot of R&D and testing so he really knows what he's doing.

• Like 1

Also, given you effectively have the 419 suspension already and trf dampers, my feeling is the carbon chassis will be a bigger step than 420 suspension on the 07 tub. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 420 suspension arms are a huge upgrade. They are much stiffer than the previous arms and you do notice the steering response. They are also more robust if you race.

The TA07 carbon chassis conversions are good. The psm, alíen RC and Exotek ones are all decent.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2020 at 9:47 AM, qatmix said:

The 420 suspension arms are a huge upgrade. They are much stiffer than the previous arms and you do notice the steering response. They are also more robust if you race.

The TA07 carbon chassis conversions are good. The psm, alíen RC and Exotek ones are all decent.

Thanks for that.  I'm not anywhere near your level so no doubt won't notice the difference! 

I did notice a massive difference with the stiffeners though.

I just have the kit arms, so spending the money on the middle and stiff 419 arms would probably give me some more tuning options for much less than the 420 kit?

• Like 1

After all this, I ended up ordering more 419 arms, in the medium and hard compound.  I believe the TA07 comes with the soft ones, so this should give me a few options.  Hopefully I got the order right, its hard to tell if they come with enough arms for half or a whole car.

Also got the Exotek RS7 conversion which I'm looking forward to.  I wish I had bought one instead of the carbon fibre stiffeners a few years ago.  It will just make the car look cool, its pretty much a TA07 MS now, just really the alloy steering bits, dcj's and a spool, but otherwise its pretty much there.  Still a lot cheaper than a TA07 MS, probably about 2/3 the price at a guess.

• Like 3