burakol

How important is this?

So as I was doing the teardown for my vintage HotShot, one of the circlips that holds the drive cup on the front differential decided to go AWOL. While I managed to take all 3 off successfully, it was the last one that got lost... 

How imperative is it that I use one when I am ready to rebuild it back? On newer kits, they don't use such part... is this a case of over engineering or this is really a critical part?

Any idea on where can I find a spare or any alternative part I can use? 

20200608_171414.jpg

it's used on the Hotshot, Hotshot 2 and Fox - and personally I'd always try and make sure I use everything Tamiya tell me to ;) 

the part number is 15295008, and is part of the bevel gear bag set.

Not easy to find, but there's a couple for sale here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Tamiya-RC-X-9014-Original-1st-version-Hotshot-Supershot-Bevel-Gear-Bag/372773625935?hash=item56cb0a204f:g:2cIAAOSwtLhdgOcB

It actually locks the driveshaft in (replaced by an e clip in the re-re’s), If you plan on running it I would probably want one in there to limit any slop that would probably be apparent in the shaft and cup assembly. If you had some very fine piano wire you could potentially try and make a substitute?

I've had success finding tiny parts that like to fly around the room using a vaccuum cleaner. Or the kids. :)

58 minutes ago, Falcon#5 said:

I've had success finding tiny parts that like to fly around the room using a vaccuum cleaner. Or the kids. :)

I'd give it another go and try to look for it.. problem is I didn't even heard where it could have potentially landed... I work in my tiny garage and there are. Lot of clutter... I dont want to buy a whole parts bag for this tiny piece...

I will try to hack one maybe using some cut out spring or a thin gauge wire and wrap it around the shaft... 

if you've got the motor out you could always roll that around on the floor - might pick it up with the magnetic attraction.

50 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

if you've got the motor out you could always roll that around on the floor - might pick it up with the magnetic attraction.

Whew... I got lucky... after a few passes of the broom, I was able to sweep it and found it in no time... thanks... any tips on how to put it back without risking it from flying out? 

• Like 1

Put the car in a plastic bag large enough that you can put your hands in. If the clips going flying they stay in the bag.

C clips suck!:angry:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, burakol said:

Whew... I got lucky... after a few passes of the broom, I was able to sweep it and found it in no time... thanks... any tips on how to put it back without risking it from flying out? 

Nice one! :)

No direct experience with the HS C-clips, only pesky tiny E-clips in general.

A good set of needle nose pliers, and an cluttered, small room in case they decide to fly off at a velocity that you can't see and land where you can't hear B)

Just now, Biz73 said:

Put the car in a plastic bag large enough that you can put your hands in. If the clips going flying they stay in the bag.

C clips suck!:angry:

Smart! Thank you! Hopefully I dont lose it again when I dry it after soaking it in some cleaner.. hehe.. 

I had an original Boomerang that used them. I wasn't able to find the C clip that flew away. Someday I will move and find it when I clear the room out :lol:

51 minutes ago, Biz73 said:

I had an original Boomerang that used them. I wasn't able to find the C clip that flew away. Someday I will move and find it when I clear the room out :lol:

I am desperate to find it... I got this original HS out of nowhere for a very good price... it wasn't my intentiontion to get one but it was one of those rare opportunity... I dont plan on spending much on this car so I'm trying to use all the original parts it came with...  ut it looks like I will at least buy new R Parts and probably a shell and decal if I cant salvage the body....

Trying to clean to technipower motor now... 

On 6/9/2020 at 4:03 PM, Biz73 said:

Brilliant idea!!!!

I didn't come up with the idea. I'm pretty sure I heard it here at one point.

On 6/17/2020 at 10:21 AM, Biz73 said:

I didn't come up with the idea. I'm pretty sure I heard it here at one point.

It was a life saver... I started rebuilding the HS today and I was able to finish the rear differential case... it involved putting two circlips to the drive joints... first one was a breeze so I thought it would be piece of cake for the next one..

Well, I spoke to soon... took me at least 7-10 tries to get it clipped in... good thing I had inside a ziplock bag... the c clip flew almost the entire time I was trying to put it in... my pesky mini need nose pliers is magnetized so each time I try to position and clamp the clip, it just sticks to the end if the pliers... hopefully when I tackle the front diff case, I'll be an expert then.