Sign in to follow this  
jonboy1

why no front Avante hop up spring?

Here's a poser for a Tuesday morning (it is Tuesday right? I'm losing track nowadays)

For the Avante, there is the hop up soft rear spring 53004. But, there's no equivalent for the front.

Anyone know why?

• Like 1

I speculate it had something to do with either the Avante's tendency to oversteer, or to settle its behaviour over jumps, where leaving the springs harder at the front should result in more of a nose-up attitude on takeoff. Softer rear springs could do the same thing.

Functionally speaking, then, perhaps the Avante being issued without the option for softer front springs was rooted in performance observations of the day. However, I do not know that for sure, especially given the timeline for hop-up releases.

• Thanks 1

I couldn't tell you, except to suggest that it might be to do with the damper throw for the Avante (and the rere) on the front, which  is spectacularly short (around 7mm). The original springs were way too soft - a problem they addressed in the rere by making them extremely stiff - as stock there's no sag at all. Perhaps the shock shocks with softer springs just don't work at all properly?

As an aside, I run my rere with RC10 front shocks, with the stock (rere) springs. There's more droop, more upswing and a similar overall stance. Handling is much improved. But that doesn't answer your question! (sorry)

I thought the last thing an Avante needed when being driven hard was a softer front end?

Wasnt that the reason behind the longer travel more upright front end of the egress?