hedge

Tamiya TGS restoration

After a couple of shops saying they had stock but then stating 6-8wks I found a con rod. So put it all back together and she’s alive :-) I wish I could pinpoint exactly what happened but i have no obvious issues just a bunch of hypothesis.

All the small changes to the suspension have made this as good as it can be for now. There may be tweaks on oil thickness and spring rates but the travel is about as good as it’s going to get.

So I call this resto done! 

I went to the field after work and ran three tanks through the car and three through the heli - a great way to wind down after work.

At the end of last year I was noticing the front suspension was a bit sticky so I grabbed a set of TT-02 low friction suspension balls. While I was at it I also grabbed a set of metal hexes as this model comes with plastic ones. Well finally got around to fitting them today. The balls required a lot of effort. I resorted to putting them on the steering knuckle first and had to use a desk vice to force them on. Anyhow now they are on and installed back on the car the suspension travel is - for now - smooth. Also got another pair of Fastrax Chrome Rallyblocks.

Hope to get out next week as soon as lock down is lifted.

A563CF75-7736-44BB-B117-04CCFBAE13CA.jpeg.318b53b61112fed62192e1ccac4b8545.jpeg

4654D22D-6B52-4B88-A21E-12D53C84A0B8.thumb.jpeg.44d7caf090dd9ca28de9149f07f26403.jpeg

Had a good blast around Easter weekend. Was the cars first run this year. It had been cleaned up and after run oiled up prior to its winter rest. Started around the 5th-6th pull, "The" needle needed richening a quarter turn, since last time it ran was the end of summer so was leaned out for warm weather (20-30 degrees Celsius) however it was a bit chilly (8-10 degrees Celsius) out of the sun this weekend. The new suspension balls work really well, no more sticking suspension travel, very pleased with this car, very enjoyable and about as low maintenance as you can get in a nitro.  It's got around 24mm clearance so is really good at off road / rally style, looking forward to a year of trying various surfaces.

I have the same chassis and have really enjoyed your posts. I bought mine back in 2003 and it hasn’t run since about 2008/9 and I need to do a rebuild.

Nitro is fun when it’s working. When it isn’t working it’s very frustrating.

You are right the kit was only expert built.

• Like 1

If you’ve got a place to run them there is nothing like Nitro. The weather has been pants round here for the past month so I’ve not been out but now it’s clearing up I’ll be running this some more. The changes I’ve made make it pretty nice over roughish ground, however it was still a blast when it was stock.