BrianWP

Tamiya ESC question

Hi, I’m fairly new at this having recently retired. I’ve started with the Tamiya 4x4 Mountain Rider. I’ve completed the electrics, adding a custom lighting system. It has the Tamiya ESC TEU-105BK. I’ve have the Carson Reflex Stick Multi Pro LCD 14 Ch (thinking of the future) with matching Carson receiver. All is fine except one issue - To move forward from starting off, I need to flick the control forward once before it begins respond. Reverse and gears respond perfectly, as do all lights etc. The ESC is connected to Ch2. I can’t understand why this happens so any advice would be much appreciated.

hi, welcome to the forums.

I'm not familiar with the 105, having never used one, but a lot of ESC's have a brake/double tap function for reverse, in order to prevent you slamming a car into full reverse right after going forwards.  If this is the case for the 105, it means that your esc is running in reverse when you push up on the throttle stick.  You probably need to reverse the number 2 channel on the transmitter and then (maybe) re-calibrate the esc so that it functions properly.  Also, check that the esc is connected to the motor correctly - positive to positive, negative to negative - a basic thing, i know, but we've all been there:rolleyes:

Hi, thx for your suggestion, you may be on to something. I had to reverse fwd/bk on the controller and switch the cable round on the motor to avoid up being reverse and down being forward. I didn’t know about brake/double tap function. The 105 has “reverse function off” capability which is disabled. Reading the instructions more carefully it has a set up with max fwd & max reverse. I’ll sit down with all again. Very much appreciate your time.

ESC's set up for street use are usually set up in this way:  forward>brake>[tap reverse on the TX]>reverse

I believe the forward/reverse is backwards in the ESC.  Not servo reverse in the TX, it's the ESC.  (I'm guessing the car also has a higher top speed in reverse as it sits right now.) The tap forward phenomena you are experiencing is actually the "tap reverse" above. 

You have 2 options to fix it:

1) switch the wires on the motor and servo reverse the TX

2) in program mode, reverse the ESC and servo reverse the TX

Hi, I realise now with both your help that something is clearly reversed and yes, on testing, reverse is faster I notice. Ok, corrected motor polarity and reversed fwd/bk on TX programming - bingo! Perfection 😊 - thanks so much guys for helping a beginner learn.

• Like 1

Help guys! Solving my forward/back issue by reversing the stick on the TX has created another problem, namely brake lamps - they come on during forward motion. I can’t see how to reverse them easily as that come off the light controller - any ideas guys?