Sign in to follow this  
axel68

Is this an original Monster Beetle?

Hi all...newbie here from Canada. Only recently jumped back into the hobby and I'm still trying to learn as much as I can, especially on how to distinguish certain models from others, as it seems many models share similar chassis, with only slight differences. Anyway, picked this Monster Beetle up yesterday and plan to do a full restoration with updated electronics, ect. I am looking for confirmation that the chassis is a Monster Beetle one. I ask because the package also came with additional tires/wheels, and was told that the two yellow wheels were original to this Beetle and also the Blackfoot. is this the case?

Looking forward to seeking advice on this and other projects as they move along, and maybe someday offering advice to others ;-)

IMG_8870.JPG

IMG_8871.JPG

IMG_8872.JPG

IMG_8873.JPG

IMG_8874.JPG

Yes, it's an original release Monster Beetle. It's possible to make a re-release look like an original, but there many giveaways that this is an original:

1. Mechanical Speed Control (MSC) with MSC mount plate (aluminum plate underneath the MSC. The re-re has two tubes there instead).

2. CVA gen I dampers. The re-re has CVA gen II dampers

3. Steel brace over the servo saver mounted with black longer screws for upper arms and brace. The re-re comes without the brace and thus equal length upper and lower screws.

4. Mostly hex chrome galvanized screws (gold coloured) . The re-re comes with hex chrome free screws (silver, grey, black, depending on length).

Some parts are obviously missing (eg. motor adapter) and some unoriginal parts have been fitted (motor, rear sway bar, tires etc.)

And you're right; the yellow wheels are from the Blackfoot (or Mud Blaster). The tires with chevron pattern without additional knobs are from the Blackfoot.

In theory, the chassis could have started out as a Blackfoot chassis, but the Blackfoot came with black friction dampers, no rear skid plate and no servo saver brace, so it seems rather likely that your model has been a Monster Beetle from the start.

2 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

Yes, it's an original release Monster Beetle. It's possible to make a re-release look like an original, but there many giveaways that this is an original:

1. Mechanical Speed Control (MSC) with MSC mount plate (aluminum plate underneath the MSC. The re-re has two tubes there instead).

2. CVA gen I dampers. The re-re has CVA gen II dampers

3. Steel brace over the servo saver mounted with black longer screws for upper arms and brace. The re-re comes without the brace and thus equal length upper and lower screws.

4. Mostly hex chrome galvanized screws (gold coloured) . The re-re comes with hex chrome free screws (silver, grey, black, depending on length).

Some parts are obviously missing (eg. motor adapter) and some unoriginal parts have been fitted (motor, rear sway bar, tires etc.)

And you're right; the yellow wheels are from the Blackfoot (or Mud Blaster). The tires with chevron pattern without additional knobs are from the Blackfoot.

In theory, the chassis could have started out as a Blackfoot chassis, but the Blackfoot came with black friction dampers, no rear skid plate and no servo saver brace, so it seems rather likely that your model has been a Monster Beetle from the start.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge on this - I truly appreciate it.

2 hours ago, Super ally said:

Originals all have resistors,re releases dont.Nice project.

Thanks for the reply.

It will be a Winter project, but I'll take the next few months before Winter to consider how to tackle it.

Also, re-re doesn't have glass in the rear window and will have holes in the door for mirrors, it also has a second hole in the bonnet/hood for a mounting post - the original has none of these. So that is definately a original body.

25 minutes ago, Mark_C said:

Also, re-re doesn't have glass in the rear window and will have holes in the door for mirrors, it also has a second hole in the bonnet/hood for a mounting post - the original has none of these. So that is definately a original body.

Thanks for corroborating what I thought I read, possibly heard elsewhere about the rear glass, the other details I was not aware of  :-)

What to do with the body has been weighing on me. The colour does not appeal to me, but I'm not certain that removing the paint won't damage the plastic. The decals on the other hand should not be a problem.

I've just stripped an original midnight pumpkin body that had been painted with car paint. It took time but I did get it all off. Some paint strippers will soften or even melt the plastic, so you need to find one that is safe for plastics.

I think it'd be worth the effort to try and rescue the body. My MB is an original chassis but has a re-re body, luckily I managed to find an original glass set and I intend to fill the holes so it look more original.

The re-re body is shared with the blitzer beetle and sand scorcher re-re, the reason there is no back glass is because of the sand scorcher, I forget the reason, maybe it has a on/off switch back there and you need to put your hands in the back ? I don't remember. In any casethey decided to economise and use the same body for all three.

On 6/9/2020 at 6:12 PM, Mark_C said:

I've just stripped an original midnight pumpkin body that had been painted with car paint. It took time but I did get it all off. Some paint strippers will soften or even melt the plastic, so you need to find one that is safe for plastics.

I think it'd be worth the effort to try and rescue the body. My MB is an original chassis but has a re-re body, luckily I managed to find an original glass set and I intend to fill the holes so it look more original.

The re-re body is shared with the blitzer beetle and sand scorcher re-re, the reason there is no back glass is because of the sand scorcher, I forget the reason, maybe it has a on/off switch back there and you need to put your hands in the back ? I don't remember. In any casethey decided to economise and use the same body for all three.

I too think it's worth saving the Beetle body. Mark, what specifically did you use to strip the body of the midnight pumpkin?

I am looking at the paint stripper offered by Tamiya (#87183). I've found a source here in Canada at a decent price, so that may be the way to go.

I used an aerosol spray product made by a company called de-solv-it called graffiti remover. However, it appers not to be available here any more.

I've also recently used this https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-paint-varnish-stripper-500ml/17091 to remove paint from a lexan body, which it did with no damage. I plan on using this on the pumpkin body to strip the tailgate provided it tests out ok ! I am hopeful because as you see it comes in a plastic bottle.

Do you get Revell paints in Canada ? they do a paint remover that smells just like acetone (nail polish remover) - I also used this on the pumpkin body (the graffiti remover ran out). I was very gentle with it because I heard acetone metls plastic, but the revell stuff did no damage to the plastic at all. It is expensive stuff though!

Carson have a product called "paint killer", not tried it but another one to look for.

On 6/12/2020 at 2:19 AM, Mark_C said:

I used an aerosol spray product made by a company called de-solv-it called graffiti remover. However, it appers not to be available here any more.

I've also recently used this https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-paint-varnish-stripper-500ml/17091 to remove paint from a lexan body, which it did with no damage. I plan on using this on the pumpkin body to strip the tailgate provided it tests out ok ! I am hopeful because as you see it comes in a plastic bottle.

Do you get Revell paints in Canada ? they do a paint remover that smells just like acetone (nail polish remover) - I also used this on the pumpkin body (the graffiti remover ran out). I was very gentle with it because I heard acetone metls plastic, but the revell stuff did no damage to the plastic at all. It is expensive stuff though!

Carson have a product called "paint killer", not tried it but another one to look for.

I've never seen any Revell branded paints in Canada, but I think I have enough info to find a suitable product - so thanks for that.

Stopped at one of my local hobby shops over the weekend and they immediately suggested brake cleaner.....:unsure:

For anyone following along,  that "no nonsense" paint stripper attacks ABS plastic use with extreme caution!

Hope you find a suitable stripper axel, worst case look for an original body on ebay that you could repaint easily..