Mozzie

Next Project Advice

Hi all, 

Looking for a bit of advice please 😁

I've recently built a Grasshopper, Bigwig and a bigger DF03 project which I hopped up a fair bit.  I really, really enjoyed the builds, but what has come apparent to me is how fragile the Tamiya kits are, even the slightly more modern DF03 with the various things I did to strengthen and improve it, is weak.

I've been on the lookout for something a bit more robust I can have a good offroad bash with, been to a local BMX pump track so ideally something that should work well there.  I want something I can put brushless power into, around 10.5T, I don't want to have to repair something every time I take it out and it has to be a kit! Am I destined to move away from Tamiya to find this?

I get that most of the Tamiya kits are rere and based on old tech, but what's the general consensus on the most robust kit currently available?  I really don't want to move away from Tamiya, a lot of my research has pointed me towards the likes of Traxxas and Arma kits but those are ugly as sin!  As one of the more modern of the rere kits I was looking at a Top Force which is available in tamico at the moment, but being unable to fit a slipper clutch has sort of put me off a bit especially as I want to go brushless. TRF kits seem like the best Tamiya option but are too expensive as can only really get second hand.  I'd prefer to stay old school and I've also been looking at the Schumacher CAT XLS and Kyoshos which look robust but hard to tell and not Tamiya either 😭😭

Any advice would be gratefully received 😄

In terms of buggies I think the Tamiya choices are DN-01 Zahhak (2wd) and DB-01 Durga (4wd)

Neither are bomb proof but will take slipper and brushless power

Greg

They are flawed in some ways that can be fixed and others that possibly can’t but we have a pair of TT02B’s. The mostly standard one gets launched off skate ramps and crashed quite regularly, only casualty so far is a broken frp front damper stay so that’s back to plastic on that one. 

Mine now has a 3s and a goolrc 120a esc and 4300kv 3650 and so far so good other than one plastic dog bone. I’m sure I’ll break more things soon but parts seem cheap and plentiful. 

Thanks for the replies, will take a look.  Durga seems difficult to get hold of from what I can tell, do you know if it's still being made?

If you want Tamiya, the TRFs you mentioned and the DN01 and DB01 @gregdogghurst mentioned are your best bet. A DT02 seems to be pretty tough for a basic ABS/PC plastic model. The Top Force will likely be no more durable then the DF03. Tamiyas in general are fine driven and powered within their means but most won't like being tossed over huge jumps under high power. Traxxas are plenty durable for those kind of shenanigans but aren't kits and ain't pretty as you noted. The Kyosho re-res are definitely a step up form the average ABS/PC Tamiya buggy. The Optima and Ultima, in particular,  are very well made kits with plenty of glass-reinforced plastics and aluminum. They both come with slippers. Kyosho competition caliber buggies were always a cut above Tamiya back in the day but the rereleases are even better. Kyosho went through and made them better yet. You get that old-school feel as well. Keep in mind, all the older designed buggies were not made with today's tracks in mind however. The jumps were lower and the surface was actually loose dirt. 

• Like 1

top force is my daily runner, 3250 brushless. I also have dno1, db01rrr dt03 dt02 tt02b. Top force has proven most reliable under brushless. 

Durgas are avail if u want one, as are top force. Dn01 is avail but u will pay to much as tamiyausa sold out the other day at $110usd

All my best bashers were 1/8 scale e-buggies or e-truggies.  The materials and construction are way beyond anything 1/10 scale or made out of plastic.  If you can find an Associated, Mugen, Tekno, or even a closeout TRF for a few hundred it will require a new level of investment in electronics, but the vehicle will be bulletproof.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

Traxxas are plenty durable for those kind of shenanigans but aren't kits and ain't pretty as you noted.

Traxxas has released a Stampede 4x4 kit and just announced a 2wd Slash kit.

I feel gross after writing that.  I need to go take a shower.

1 hour ago, speedy_w_beans said:

All my best bashers were 1/8 scale e-buggies or e-truggies.  The materials and construction are way beyond anything 1/10 scale or made out of plastic.  If you can find an Associated, Mugen, Tekno, or even a closeout TRF for a few hundred it will require a new level of investment in electronics, but the vehicle will be bulletproof.

This is a good option.  Keep any eye on the sales of the previous race kits.  The HB D418 was recently on sale for US$349 at Amain (I find Amain to be great and their shipping to NZ is quick and reasonably priced) and the Tekno EB410 was about the same.  This will be the best option for a bulletproof car.  Many will say thats a waste of a race kit, but your money you can do what you like.

If you want to stick to Tamiya the Top Force is probably a good bet.  Mine hasn't had a huge amount of use but hasn't broken despite my son driving it with a Super Stock TZ and hitting stuff.  Yeah Racing make a carbon chassis kit for it too (Tamiya do too, but its twice the price) and add some titanium turnbuckles would make it pretty much indestructible.  I imagine the flexible arms are probably good for durability, so it would just be hubs.  Alloy ones should keep you going even if they bend.  Once you've done all this you could have had the discounted race kit though for the same money.