A-Baum

How do you organize your spare parts and screws, etc?

I've acquired several kits over the last few months and I have found my original method of leaving the spare parts in the original box is not a great system.  I would love to keep all the spares for each car separate but I can probably consolidate all the extra screws/washers and stuff like that into their own organization. So what do people do for organization?  I find now if I need a clip or part that I have to do a lot of digging.  Any organizational products out there people use?

I have three small tubs, the sort you might get chewing gum in.

1 - Self tappers

2 - Machine screws

3 - "odd" screws - screw pins or one offs that are a particular fitment, like the "nut" that fastens the midnight pumpkin rollbar to the bed for instance.

I've also got a jar that contains split pins and any other strange odds and ends.

Large Zip-Loc bag with kit name written on it, smaller Zip-Loc bags inside for plastic parts, screws, etc...

Just keep them all in 1 box.

If you want to organize hardware then compartment boxes from somewhere like Hobbycraft are the answer. 

• Like 2

I made a wooden 'cube' to hold 4 compartment boxes. Seems to have worked out ok.

QE9Ik6S.jpg

RQvo1n8.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

My wife is delighted with our new dining room table spread. I think.

688C32A1-ECBD-4D3E-8D54-EFAA123B15DF.thumb.jpeg.f0750dd3d3b0efb912010b18339f58b4.jpeg

lol I have 3 cars, 2 boxes, various radios and parts trees spewed all over my dining room table as well.  I also have a place mat strategically placed in one location where my hobby knife went into the table a few times trimming parts. She will not be happy.  I am migrating my stuff into the basement now that I've improved the lighting.  

Oh now you're just showing off...

Where did you get those?  I can only find the compartment box that holds 3 smaller compartment boxes in it.  Part #42302

• Haha 1

As much as I try to organise things, I still have bits everywhere.

These came in handy.

49861733552_b50d586fde_o.jpg

But they soon filled up and overflowed

49995249951_acb0793ba9_o.jpg

I use these for screws and nuts, etc...  The idea being, that each type of screw has it's own draw.  Screwdrivers are in the bottom draw.

49995248466_cb6a706839_o.jpg

It's not full up yet, mostly because a lot of leftover screws from a project just end up in a bowl, all mixed together.  I need to sort them. 

Raaco assorters are always handy.  The red one in the middle is my first ever storage compartment.  I've had it for 30 years.

49995250776_6ae2d6e70d_o.jpg

Motors are all in here.  I have others for batteries and spray cans.

49994731518_e529639c54_o.jpg

Where possible, each car has a it's own bin of parts - some cars have two, as I tend to collect quite a bit, especially for runners.

49995504022_cfe9ededb6_o.jpg

49994730273_7c592de01c_o.jpg

49995504107_23e2e65058_o.jpg

There's more, and it's still not as organised as I think it should be.  No matter what, I never seem to have enough storage space.  Maybe with better organising and steamlining I won't require so much space.  I've been saying that for years.

• Like 6

Hobby craft plastic compartment boxes for the really small stuff.

Take away tubs to split up kit parts, but then ideally stored inside the original kit box.

I quite like the Ikea storage boxes, usually in the kids section, the big red ones and the shallow green ones. These are for body shells, tyres or cars were I don’t have an original box.

And various brown boxes, usually with a car in waiting to be restored.

Its basically pretty random at best.

2 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

688C32A1-ECBD-4D3E-8D54-EFAA123B15DF.thumb.jpeg.f0750dd3d3b0efb912010b18339f58b4.jpeg

Can't see the problem , what's not to like ?

• Haha 2

@Fruitfly01 is spot on re larger ‘spares’ + NIP hop ups being more challenging to store / retrieve  

Especially if it’s older stuff - which often takes ages to find in the first place then defies any meaningful chassis (or other) split storage solution given you’ve only found 1 bit after a year of searching ... and need 3 more hens teeth to build it all 🙄

Mine end up in big plastic tubs with lids - with each driven by whatever makes finding stuff less painful - 934 / 935 / 936 then SRBs then 3Speeds etc 

One guy on here has his own NIP shop rack though - @Hibernaculum may remember who ? - which is simply awesome for nostalgia but beyond me in terms of space / divorce 😂

But seriously , I have storage units and the small compartment boxes for screws / nuts / botls / washers etc . as I got fed up with looking for stuff . Now I can find anything

I've also got my eye on a pick&mix sweet stand at Wilko that is no longer going to be used , as it is out due to C19 - tons of bins in one place - just need a bigger man cave ;)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SuperChamp82 said:

One guy on here has his own NIP shop rack though - @Hibernaculum may remember who ? - which is simply awesome for nostalgia but beyond me in terms of space / divorce 😂

I'd love to see that.

• Like 2

@gregdogghurst Here's a couple more pics.

Still more to sort but you get the idea:

LjHEXx8.jpg

0it4joH.jpg

I also use a few small containers with lids for the larger stuff:

sQyUrp4.jpg

And a metal tool box for all my painting supplies:

YYLMU5X.jpg

• Like 7

9 hours ago, toyolien said:

YYLMU5X.jpg

ok, now I really need one of those! Toolbox envy is a thing right?

• Like 2

I use an old fishing tackle box. Any hardware store also has organizers for different hardware that could be used. 

kGp03l0.jpg

i use the Lidl storage boxes

and I store per kit rather than types of parts

the wall system is used for paints and tools to the side of my bench 

JJ 

• Like 4

On 6/11/2020 at 10:31 AM, ChrisRx718 said:

My fleabitten wife spends every summer in Europe with her family, but my kitchen table is traditionally covered in helicopter parts, soldering irons, etc., not buggy parts.

Except this summer she can't go, and it has been too windy to fly anything other than kites.

• Haha 1