Sign in to follow this  
Juictetin

ESC Limit

Hi all , I am running a TEU 101bk speed control in my Sand Viper (what it came with) and I have just had one of my motors Igified (engine guru Andy Smith). It is a Trinity Revenge of the Monster Stock Pro 27 turn.  After a rebuild he has measured it at 29,500 rpm at 8v and 28,500 at 7.2v.  These at 3.20amp off load. 

Am i right in thinking the 101bk ESC will struggle to cope with it? If not what sort of replacement should I look for, is it dependant on turn limit or amp draw ?

The TEU-101BK tends to punch above its weight in terms of the current draw it can handle, so you ought to be fine. Worth giving it a try at least - the worst that'll happen is you'll trigger the thermal cutout. If this happens, the Quicrun 1060 is the default replacement brushed ESC, and with a 12-turn limit it should have no trouble at all.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply. I will try it with the 101bk but in all honesty will probably upgrade it soon anyway. 

It depends on gearing also; a motor under-load will draw more amps, so the higher the gearing, the higher the load - the higher the amp pull. 

TEU101BK is rated at 60A continuous. The Hobbywing 1060 (as the name suggests) is also rated at 60A continuous, but crucially the manual states a max. RPM of 30,000 on 2S LiPo (7.4V).

I think the reality is the TEU101 will likely only give you one pull at full throttle before cutting-out, but worth noting that even a 1060 is going to be on it's limit even with that 27T!