Sign in to follow this  
BOARDRIDER

Polycarbonate Paint Options?

Are there any spray paints other than the Tamiya PS range that are any good for painting the inside of a clear shell?

I specifically need metallic brown but could maybe lay solid brown over a pearl coat? Does that work?

Either way I can't find polycarbonate brown spray anywhere - anyone got any ideas please?

Depends where you are, but Duratrax and Pactra paints are still available.

https://www.testors.com/product-catalog/testors-brands/testors-pactra/pactra-3oz-sprays

https://www.duratrax.com/paint/index.html

A pearl coat will lighten any color applied to it.  So a brown will become a light brown or tan.

If you really need brown, you'll likely have to mix your own using Parma Faskolor or Liquitex primary colors and an airbrush.  BUT, check formulation because some of these may not stand up to impact damage.

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

Sounds very 70s??

I'm betting a Vauxhall Viva 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOARDRIDER said:

Are there any spray paints other than the Tamiya PS range that are any good for painting the inside of a clear shell?

I specifically need metallic brown but could maybe lay solid brown over a pearl coat? Does that work?

Either way I can't find polycarbonate brown spray anywhere - anyone got any ideas please?

I have used Core rc with mixed results

4 hours ago, BOARDRIDER said:

Pro-line do a metallic copper that you could darken. Need an airbrush to apply it though. 

4 minutes ago, Problemchild said:

I’d just get a rattle cam from Halfords ;)

bit then I’m a rebel hah

JJ

MV5BNmY5MjU3MjQtZjRkYS00MDU5LWJlYzQtNTQ3MThjOWM5MDkzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjc0ODQ0NzM@._V1_.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Depends where you are, but Duratrax and Pactra paints are still available.

https://www.testors.com/product-catalog/testors-brands/testors-pactra/pactra-3oz-sprays

https://www.duratrax.com/paint/index.html

A pearl coat will lighten any color applied to it.  So a brown will become a light brown or tan.

If you really need brown, you'll likely have to mix your own using Parma Faskolor or Liquitex primary colors and an airbrush.  BUT, check formulation because some of these may not stand up to impact damage.

Wow!

I have not seen, heard nor read Pactra and Testors in a very long time. Last time was probably from the early-mid 80s when my dad used to build scale models and uses these paint brands. Because when I started building models in 1984 as a kid, I already used Tamiya enamel and acrylic.

5 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

Wow!

I have not seen, heard nor read Pactra and Testors in a very long time. Last time was probably from the early-mid 80s when my dad used to build scale models and uses these paint brands. Because when I started building models in 1984 as a kid, I already used Tamiya enamel and acrylic.

I’ve used the pactra/testors recently and it’s no where as good as tamiya. Takes a long time to dry and the quality just doesn’t feel as good as tamiya. Maybe it used to be real good but it’s owned by rustoleum now

proline paint is a good option for Lexan. You need an airbrush though

As I said - rattle can ;)

Halfords will make up whatever colour you want 

there was a thread about using car spray paint last month - quite a few people use it 

guess it depends what you wanna use it for 

JJ

On 6/11/2020 at 9:34 AM, BOARDRIDER said:

Try Spaz Stix Candy Golden Rootbeer.  It's metallic and can be made lighter or darker brown depending if you back it with silver, white, mustard yellow, or gunmetal.

https://www.hobbyrecreationproducts.com/products/szx15659-golden-candy-rootbeer-aerosol