NobbySideways

Cheap and nasty brushless motor only for project....

As an old man my other hobby is making large model steam engines from brass. I recently made a generator for a stationary engine to run from an old 540 motor but it barely generated anything. I figure I would be better off using a cheap brushless motor and rectifying the output.

I've had a look myself but before I pounce (I've never got much cash) whats the cheapest brushless 540 motor on the market at the moment please? It doesn't have to be any good, just have no commutator and three wires hanging out the back of a 540 package....

Sorry to drag this forum into uncool territory...

• Like 1

So these are models that have moving parts but no boiler and don't run on steam? That sounds pretty impressive, can you post any pics or video?

The cheapest i have seen is from aliexpress or banggood. Brands like GoolRC and Surpass make some really cheap sensorless ones. I assume you need an ESC too? They also do combos cheap. Given brushless make a lot more torque you may be able to use one of the 1/16 scale size too, 2845 or something i think. However, I have no idea so probably shouldn't have mentioned that.

Is it alwys running at low speed? Is cogging an issue? No idea if cogging is at low speed, or only for the first few seconds while it sorts itself out

7 hours ago, NobbySideways said:

Ah, sorry, no, these are steam engines, powered by a boiler, I'm just using the motor as a generator.

Thats way cooler, you need to post a video of it running...we don't have a steam section, guess since it has a motor it can be in the electronics section?