Martin1011

XV-01 build advice

Hi everyone. I have spent the last few weeks putting together and XV-01 long damper spec kit. 

It's been a joy to put together using the manual and watching rcmojo build videos.

I've finished the chassis but when looking at it closely the geometry of the back wheels it out, they look like they are pointing in (towards the front). The picture makes it look worse that it is. The front wheels are straight and fine.

I think it's something to do with the rear arm mounts but following through the manual all the correct parts were used.

Have I just done a novice error, or am I missing something.

Anyone build one of these kits and have any advice?

IMG_20200614_175239.jpg

IMG_20200614_175341.jpg

I think thats normal. A lot of kits come with uprights for rear wheel toe-in as standard as it aids keeping the car driving in a straight line.

Cant recall on the xv01 whether the toe in is adjustable with a turn buckle or fixed angle on the uprights.

• Like 1

There should be some toe in at the rear, to help at speed, on all my racing buggys it's about 3 degrees, but they are adjustable with different blocks.

Are the wishbones on the right sides, or is it not a droop screw hole that is in the wishbones, as the chassis looks cut out before the screw hole.

• Like 1

What rear uprights are you using? Can’t really see in the pic but it looks like they are not xv01 parts?  My xv01 has a few degrees, but it looks like you have 10-15 degrees. Almost like you’ve fitted toe in uprights, or fitted them on the wrong sides.  my arms are quite turned in quite a bit but I think the upright straightens it out. 

The uprights came with the kit, I think they are long damper versions. I lined up the chassis on my board and it does look like its only pointing in by a couple degrees, the original picture just distorted it. 

Makes sense to assist it running in a straight line, just though I had done something wrong. Never noticed it before but have only run my dt-03, you live and learn. IMG_20200615_203847.thumb.jpg.dc932d5d215a5856be8a5c210918f738.jpg

IMG_20200615_203322.jpg

• Like 2

Rear toe in helps with straight line tracking. Front toe out helps with turn in. It's beneficial when trying to send the rear around Colin McRae style.

• Like 1

I need some advice from the collective again :)

Do you ever feel cursed on a build? The first time i took this car out, after 5 mins managed to flip it and it reversed into a carpark curb. Wishbone popped out of the lower suspension strut. Luckily found the dog bone but had to order a new NN tree for the spacers and bits.

Then tonight up and running again, took it to another large car park. After 1- minutes, somehow managed to side impact the only curb out there :o 

The cost - lost dog bone, lost suspension spring, bottom spring holder and look like i have bent the cup.

My questions i need help with are - 

1. Instead of buying new dog bones, should i go with CVD's (not had any experience with these), something like - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamiya-XV-01-Spring-Steel-Front/dp/B075LQ7T5M ??

2. Does anyone know where i can get a replacement spring for the long damper spec model? For the parts needed to replace (new tree etc..) is it worth investing in a new shock set? 

Might have to go back to my DT-03, that hit everything (not on purpose of course) and always bounced back, built like a tank :)

IMG_20200701_200019_1.jpg

IMG_20200701_200433_1.jpg

My advise would be to upgrade to the aluminium suspension mounts. That cured my issues with arms popping out and missing dog bones. 

you can get replacement springs, I think it’s a trf201 front spring set. 

• Like 2

Definitely go for the Alu suspension mounts. That's one simple switch which gives you lots of protection. One 54376, one 54377 and two 54379s. When I bought my kit a couple of months back, there was a worldwide shortage of the 54377s and I ended up getting a Yeah Racing equivalent from Hong Kong. However, I've had an email this morning that the Tamiya ones are finally back in stock in Tamico... shows how bad the current backlog is!! 

For springs, as per the above, the TRF201 front spring set fits, kit 54221. You get 3 pairs - the hardest are about the same as the ones in the LD set, then there's a medium pair and a soft pair. The XV01 tends to like softer setups, I've gone for 900 cst front shock oil with the medium springs and 600 cst shock oil on the rear with the soft springs. Both have got the 3 hole washer inside the dampers. It's pretty smooth for a first effort, and I haven't felt the need to play with it yet - I've always got the 2 hole and 1 hole options to slow the dampers down if I want to. 

I also added the GPM CVDs, front and rear. They're pretty bulletproof, as are the Tamiya ones, as they're both steel. Yeah Racing do alu ones, don't get these, they're not as strong. If you do the suspension mounts, they're not as urgent to get, but if you need to get new ones... why not upgrade?

• Like 1

Get some CVD's, also get steel hinge pin balls and alloy or carbon reinforced mounts if you can find them. As said above TRF201 front spring set works well, if you want softer get the TRF501 front spring set. 

I believe the springs included with the long damper kit as slightly different again, there is also front spring set off DF03 however these are firmer again than the 201 set, so 501/soft 201/med DF03/hard

The plastic hinge pin balls I've broken a few times. 

Juls 

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice.

After scouring the car park, i managed to find the missing spring so thats one item off the shopping list.

Ordered the GPM cvd's so should be back up and running in a few weeks.

With the long damper XV-01 fit it came with the FRP damper stays, a few people have mentioned upgrading to aluminium, i take it this is the way to go?

Thanks

I’ve not managed to break the frp stays. I would have thought aluminium would just bend anyway unless it’s very good quality, which is unlikely. I have not personally heard of anyone deliberately replacing the shock towers. 

Unless what you mean is the suspension mounts. which is a very common upgrade. I run the carbon reinforced parts myself as I have them grinded down for more steering and suspension travel. 

• Like 1

Another vote for the aluminum suspension arm holders.  IMO it's the most important upgrade.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 2:26 PM, Martin1011 said:

Then tonight up and running again, took it to another large car park. After 1- minutes, somehow managed to side impact the only curb out there :o 

IMG_20200701_200433_1.jpg

wow!  never seen one break like that!

did this axle have a lot of use?

was the impact, on or off throttle?

The whole chassis had only about 15 minutes on the clock. Might have been throttle on, hit a kerb at about 50 meters away after a spin in a Trafford centre car park.

Bought a steel CVD replacement but is on a very slow boat from somewhere. In the meantime bought and built a tt-02r from tamico, after a deal posted a week or so ago. 

This forum is dangerous to the wallet! 😀

On 7/2/2020 at 12:32 PM, CakeOrDeath said:

I also added the GPM CVDs, front and rear.

Hi @CakeOrDeath

I'd love to hear your experience of installing the GPM CVDs. I'm having trouble with them. Would mind having a look at my post here..