XJman

touring chassis decision

I have the ta05vdf but it's way too nice to beat up outside in a parking lot or driveway. I'd rather hold on to it as just a nice looking model.

I'm looking to get a touring car I'm not afraid to bash up. I'm torn between the xv01, tt02, and tt01 but less so the 01 I think. Unless someone has a reason otherwise.

It's mostly going to be for paved roads or walking trails, parking lots, and maybe (but unlikely) some of the prepped hiking trails in my area. The tt02 looks like the better choice in my mind it's inexpensive and supported well in the aftermarket and likely has a more balanced weight distribution. However the xv01 looks more capable of taking a bearing and might allow me to walk some of the mulched and packed drt trails at my parks.

Does the xv01 handle well off of dirt or is it way too tail happy to be a solid performer.

1 hour ago, XJman said:

I have the ta05vdf but it's way too nice to beat up outside in a parking lot or driveway. I'd rather hold on to it as just a nice looking model.

I'm looking to get a touring car I'm not afraid to bash up. I'm torn between the xv01, tt02, and tt01 but less so the 01 I think. Unless someone has a reason otherwise.

It's mostly going to be for paved roads or walking trails, parking lots, and maybe (but unlikely) some of the prepped hiking trails in my area. The tt02 looks like the better choice in my mind it's inexpensive and supported well in the aftermarket and likely has a more balanced weight distribution. However the xv01 looks more capable of taking a bearing and might allow me to walk some of the mulched and packed drt trails at my parks.

Does the xv01 handle well off of dirt or is it way too tail happy to be a solid performer.

The XV-01 is a very nice chassis that handles much like a full-size front-engined rally car. I would say it would be great if you were thinking of taking it rallying, but it too might be considered too nice to simply bash up. For such duties, I'd go for a TT.

As for TT-01 or TT-02, it is easier to build a TT-02 with increased ground clearance, but it is let down by the long kingpins moulded into the uprights, which hang down rather low. The TT-01 needs more work to raise the ground clearance, but once this is done, it performs better in my experience. My TT-01 rally car is more planted, more stable and generally easier to drive fast on rough ground than the various TT-02 rally cars it has gone up against in the past.

Not specifically rally. However the higher gc would be nice for the walking trails and parking lots because I don't have to worry about them being super smooth. I'm not concerned with the tub hitting the pavement or a rock like I am with the carbon fiber chassis of the ta05vdf.

It seems the Tt01 is mostly available in racing truck kits. If I get a Tt01 are there any hop ups I'd need right away aside from bearings?

2 minutes ago, XJman said:

It seems the Tt01 is mostly available in racing truck kits. If I get a Tt01 are there any hop ups I'd need right away aside from bearings?

Bearings, oil shocks and a steel pinion, plus an alloy propshaft if you want to add more power. Same as with the TT-02 really. The are numerous other nice-to-have options, but I'm not sure if they would be called for on a trail basher. 

I’ll break down my truth to you...

had a TT01 5years ago, all kind of hop ups mostly GPM alloy upgrades with rally conversion, speed gears, back in the time on NiMh and brushed motors... had a great time with it. 

then a TA05 as my next basher... more complex car, more adjustability possibilities, gearing options were wider, brushless and lipo, lot of tension on the belts... adjusting them too.

now... a FF03, similar ajdustability in terms of suspension, gearing options even wider; brushless and lipo... fast and durable since no belts.

I would go with a FF03 or the TT02 since it is just more great full in terms of upgrading, a TT02 can nowadays easy become a entry club racer.

The XV is a more complex car, it also has belts... but if maintenance is not a question go for if.

otherwise my recommendation for a onroad basher would be either FF03 or TT02.

• Like 1

I say the ta-03rs porsche or a used ta-03, I really like the chassis and it is beld drive but the whole driveline is sealed only the beld an pulleys are exposed but the pulley and beld are high in the chassis, I run them on rough tarmac with little pebbles without a problem.

the ta-03 drives a lot better then a tt-01 I owned a tt-01 and I have owned a xv-01, the xv-01 drives maybe a little better but is more work to maintenance, and I did not like the battery door with the tiny srcews and not much room for battery wires and esc and it have some flaws in it to.

The only thing is that parts and aftermarket parst are sometimes hard to find for the ta-03 chassis.

• Like 1

Ok, before I pull the trigger just want an opinion besides mine as it's largely uninformed.

I did some searching and most recommend the s chassis over the r chassis. I found a newer one released this year that's the SR. It looks to have adjustable suspension and steering, bearings, and stronger shock towers. I'm not sure if this is what folks were referring to but it seems like a fair buy at about $200.

Is that a better chassis to bash over the RR or other chassis? If not, what one would you recommend? Most of the stuff i found breaking down the type variants are single letter types so I just want to be sure that this is a blend of an s and r chassis and not something off the wall I won't be able to get parts for in 6 months.

I also vouch for the FF-03. You'll be surprised what and how much you can do with this chassis. Amazing chassis for on-road racing, bashing and even rallying.

I too have an FF-03, and while I can certainly vouch for its abilities on a track, I am not sure that I rate it above my TT-01 as a guilt-free basher. It is too nice! (And TT parts are easier to get...)

I do like the ff03 chassis but it's just not exactly what I'm looking for at this moment. I keep going to pull the trigger but balk because I'm really torn between the tt02 and xv01. I feel like i could get the tt02 with some quality hopups for the price of the xv01 stock.

The forward motor is really awesome though.

Do the Tamiya bodies have dimples for the common body post locations like other manufacturers? I'm tossing up between a Subaru and a lancia delta. Probably go with the delta because i can't afford to import a real one.

The Lancia Delta body has dimples for the body posts. The front has 2 options generally, depending on which chassis, one being above the shock tower like TT02, and the other being forward of that position. I think most bodies are the same, if not already pre-drilled, which they generally are if they come out of a kit

I quit waffling and bought the tt02 type Sr. Once it gets in and built I'll grab a body. It's going to be stupid too I've got a castle sensored 5700kv setup waiting on it. Hope the tires are belted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, XJman said:

I do like the ff03 chassis but it's just not exactly what I'm looking for at this moment. I keep going to pull the trigger but balk because I'm really torn between the tt02 and xv01. I feel like i could get the tt02 with some quality hopups for the price of the xv01 stock.

The forward motor is really awesome though.

Do the Tamiya bodies have dimples for the common body post locations like other manufacturers? I'm tossing up between a Subaru and a lancia delta. Probably go with the delta because i can't afford to import a real one.

The stock TT-02 is very deceiving. It'll require you to change/upgrade so many parts that you'll end up spending for it so much to make it a decent car. The stock is just too lousy in my honest opinion. But if you get the SR (which a lot of people here will recommend), make sure to replace the plastic center shaft and steering kit to aluminum then off you go.

52 minutes ago, XJman said:

I quit waffling and bought the tt02 type Sr. Once it gets in and built I'll grab a body. It's going to be stupid too I've got a castle sensored 5700kv setup waiting on it. Hope the tires are belted.

I've got an SR to build, just need a centre prop shaft. I have YR steering, Tamiya Motor plate and prop joints already to go. Looks like a nice kit

• Like 2

Lets talk servos and chargers for a minute. I'm seeing a lot of the low profile servos. I'm guessing their advantage is fractions of grams of weight savings or fitting on compact chassis? I'm looking for a decent budget servo. I've had some savox in the past that I was not a fan of but their prices are tempting at around 70 bucks. Can anyone speak to their quality now?

I also new battery charger I'm trying not to bust the bank on the servo so I can grab a fair quality charger. My no name thing is starting to flake out on me. You've got to plug the battery in a few times before it reads it, then it will randomly kick out.

So for a couple hundred bucks what would you guys recommend? I'm not particular to any brand for this as im already over my initial budget of free as possible I'm just trying to keep it affordable at this point.

27 minutes ago, XJman said:

Lets talk servos and chargers for a minute. I'm seeing a lot of the low profile servos. I'm guessing their advantage is fractions of grams of weight savings or fitting on compact chassis? I'm looking for a decent budget servo. I've had some savox in the past that I was not a fan of but their prices are tempting at around 70 bucks. Can anyone speak to their quality now?

I also new battery charger I'm trying not to bust the bank on the servo so I can grab a fair quality charger. My no name thing is starting to flake out on me. You've got to plug the battery in a few times before it reads it, then it will randomly kick out.

So for a couple hundred bucks what would you guys recommend? I'm not particular to any brand for this as im already over my initial budget of free as possible I'm just trying to keep it affordable at this point.

I run savox in my race buggies and think they're great.  The 1258TG is my favourite, if you want low profile then there is the 1251MG which works fine, but its not as fast as the 1258TG.  They have a lot of models though, I would look for .08sec or faster, torque should be fine on any.  You can always turn the speed down if you find it too fast.  Cheap and cheerful though there are the JX 4409MG which are fine and really cheap.  The Trackstar D99X is pretty decent for the money too.  I doesn't matter if you go low profile or standard size in the TT02, space isn't a problem.

I bought the HTRC C240 dual charger from Banggood recently and its great for the money.  Dual charger, does everything I need and a really good price.  So far so good, the only thing I can't comment on is the longevity as it may not last years like some others.  SkyRC D100 is a good option though, a bit more expensive but they are good quality.  Or the S60 if you just need a single charger.

• Thanks 1

The only issue I have with Savox Servos (I’ve had a few) is that they are very power hungry. I’ve never had one fail though, I have a Low Profile Savox ready to go for my XV01, and have a couple other standard profile ones as spares currently.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I run savox in my race buggies and think they're great.  The 1258TG is my favourite, if you want low profile then there is the 1251MG which works fine, but its not as fast as the 1258TG.  They have a lot of models though, I would look for .08sec or faster, torque should be fine on any.  You can always turn the speed down if you find it too fast.  Cheap and cheerful though there are the JX 4409MG which are fine and really cheap.  The Trackstar D99X is pretty decent for the money too.  I doesn't matter if you go low profile or standard size in the TT02, space isn't a problem.

I bought the HTRC C240 dual charger from Banggood recently and its great for the money.  Dual charger, does everything I need and a really good price.  So far so good, the only thing I can't comment on is the longevity as it may not last years like some others.  SkyRC D100 is a good option though, a bit more expensive but they are good quality.  Or the S60 if you just need a single charger.

I can recommend the 1251 savox. Fair price, even without a capacitor it works fine. 

• Like 1

Savox have performed well for me. Torquey and fast, with zero issues.

As @mtbkym01 has already mentioned, they can be power hungry. You may need a capacitor/you may not.

Pretty much a coin toss there from my experience.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I'll be ordering one of the savox from my lhs as soon as i can

Everything is together. Took it out to test drive it promptly flipped it without the body posts and split the fiber shock towers. May not be the blues but it sure made me sad.

• Sad 1

What did you get?

as for charger

I have a Quantum’s Cube charger it has a fix charging rate for 2, 3, 4s at 4A. 

Just about right for my 2s lipo from 3800-5600mah. 

Venom. Hobbyshop had one on sale when I went to find tires wnd some other odds and ends. So I figured at 100 bucks I'd give it a shot. It was cheaper than what I found on Amazon on a quick look so ran with it.

On 6/17/2020 at 2:03 AM, XJman said:

I would heartily recommend the Power HD 23kg servo, I've already bought 4 of them for pretty much all my cars. Not too expensive, but more than enough power for any car. Supposedly waterproof to boot as well!