Sign in to follow this  
Grumpy pants

If I was buy just 1 buggy what should it be?

The DB01 is bangin' but it's so, so serious. It has the best looking shell. Hard and expensive to get hold of atm. 

DN01 is a bit easier to come by - the box art is not great but the shell looks good when painted properly and it will take the OG 201 shell and IIRC the Sand Viper shell. It's also still in production, unlike the DB01. Sad Face.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Saito2 said:

To narrow it down, one might have to set some parameters. Do you want a simple one just to bash? A DT02/03 will do that. They're tough with plenty of spares. Do you like more complexity in your builds? A Hotshot is more a complex and engaging build than a TT02B.  Do you want a nostalgic experience or prefer the old designs (rereleases)? Do you want high performance like a DB01 or one with more "character" (handling quirks/flaws)?  2wd or 4wd? I can tell which ones I'd prefer, but without parameters, they might not be what you'd prefer.

Looking higher end than a DT02/03.

I won't bash it but I do want to be able to enjoy driving it.

I'm not bothered about a complex build although I do like the look of the Super Hot Shot a lot. 

An enjoyable driving experience trumps nostalgic or new to be honest.

Relatively low maintenance, there is no point in me owning it if it's spend most of its time on the bench for cleaning or repairs. 

I want to  it too look like a buggy and drive alike a probably edge to 4WD as I haven't got a 4WD driver at the moment.

If 4WD then DF03 is the one then, if you can't get or live with a DB01 (because it's more complex / finicky and it's somewhat harder to find spares). 

5 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

This look like a good choice, not keen on the pink or over struck on the body but a decent shout.

The 201 body fits straight on the chassis and paint it whatever you like!

id say DN-01 2wd or DB-01 4wd

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gregdogghurst said:

The 201 body fits straight on the chassis and paint it whatever you like!

id say DN-01 2wd or DB-01 4wd

Also, the Zahhak I just ordered came with white wheels

IMG_2290.jpg

9 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

Looking higher end than a DT02/03.

I won't bash it but I do want to be able to enjoy driving it.

I'm not bothered about a complex build although I do like the look of the Super Hot Shot a lot. 

Relatively low maintenance, there is no point in me owning it if it's spend most of its time on the bench for cleaning or repairs. 

I want to  it too look like a buggy and drive alike a probably edge to 4WD as I haven't got a 4WD driver at the moment.

I'd avoid the TT02B suggestions then - they're effectively DT02-level of simplicity. In fact, they're just a TT02 with longer arms and spikey tyres, sooo...

DB01 / 02 both have ball diffs, which will require maintenance to a degree. Not sure whether these are a ball-ache (see what I did there?) to access / adjust? These are more TA-like in terms of their on-road equivalent, much more accurately made / interesting to build IMO.

Maybe a Top Force to scratch the vintage itch? The parts-sharing with the TA02 platform and recent re-releases means that spares supply will surely be safe for a good 3-4 years. Not sure you could say the same about the Hot Shot? Also very easy to put bevel gear innards in the Top Force if the Ball Diffs are too frustrating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Fruitfly01 said:

Out of the three that you have mentioned, I would probably choose the Top Force, mostly because spare parts are readily available from Tamiya and other companies that offer a range of hop up items.  That'd be the one I'd be least concerned about giving some wellie.

The Terra Scorcher looks great in action, and apart from known weak spots, is pretty tough.  Spare parts are not as common as those for the Top Force though, and there are fewer upgrades available. Most of the upgrades for that chassis are already included in the kit, so there isn't much to improve on.  Don't tell @ThunderDragonCy I said that.

The Super Astute is still a bit rare, as are it's spare parts, but it's a simple design and fun to drive, but I'd be a bit more Miss Daisy with it, just because spares are not common.  It's also quite expensive for what it is.  For that sort of money you could probably get a modern design mid level/top end 2WD buggy.

At a fraction of the cost, there is always the DT03 chassis.  Plenty of spares and upgrades available.  It has very limited gearing with only a choice of two chunky pinions, but I've seen plenty of people on the web chuck a brushless motor in them without problems.

My DT03 is the 2WD I chuck around the most, when compared to my Madcap, which only gets treated with care and respect - much like how I would treat a Super Astute.

@Grumpy pants Just to say, I have dt02,dt03 and they are both a blast to bash. On BZ they are alot of fun. All in my showroom

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

You are absolutely right of course- it's even in the name SRB, but I have had over 20 SRB's and 6 WO/FAV's and in my modest opinion they are great but anything over a sports tuned is asking for trouble and I am looking for something I haven't had or don't already own.

By buggy I am thinking bigger wheels, better shocks, bit more power, less prone to breaking, single piece lexan body, sloping front, rear wing - like a Zahhak or a Top Force ;)

I don't mean to sound presumptuous, but it doesn't sound like money is a real barrier to your hobby here.  If that's the case, I would lean toward the Top Force.  Can handle more power on the existing gearbox and there's a seller on Ebay that has them.  I got mine 2 weeks ago and am super happy with it.  

• Like 1

I like both, but if I were to choose only one, it would be the Top Force over TT-02B any day!

I have a TT-02B in my fleet, and while I enjoy it for what it is - a basic modern TC-derived buggy with plentiful parts and hop-ups, great for trips to the park, etc, it doesn't rival the abilities of my DF-01 Manta Ray, of which the Top Force is the fancy version.

Let us not forget that the TT-02B is an entry level buggy derived from a touring car, whereas the Top Force was designed from the outset as a high-end competition buggy - a role it is still capable of fulfilling today judging by how well they perform on the vintage racing scene. 

• Like 1

The zahak/DN01 comes with white wheels unless you manage to find a Japanese domestic market model which came with pink wheels. Rest of the world got white. As far as 2wd buggy’s though, without going to a TRF, it’s the most modern and best handling. The difference in driving quality between the DN01 and DT02 is not small. It’s really a very big jump, where the DT02 can be frustrating to drive the DN01 just does what you ask it to without any real fuss. I run a 6.5T sensored in mine for a bit, the diff slips a little but otherwise I’ve not managed to break it. There is a Kyosho gear diff that can be shoe horned in if the slippy  ball diff bothers you, but you’ll certainly want the slipper clutch then.

if I was happy to have Slightly less grippy tyres and a slightly light on power plant I’d probably be happy with a top force with the proper top force hicap shocks and suitably soft springs (the springs included with the hicap dampers are idiotically hard for some reason and makes the shocks feel crap when actually they are some of the smoothest on the market) power wise a appropriately geared 13.5 sensored system is gentle enough without being horribly slow, but a modest sensorless system with a decent battery just causes the transmission to spread and skip (even with mods to the gear case) unless you run slippery tamiya style tires. When it comes to top force though, it handles pretty much the same as a manta ray and it’s DF01 variants (dirt thrasher, blazing star, terra conquerer).

so any of them is a option, except only the top force can really handle a full sized square shaped lipo pack.

there is a lot of other buggy’s, the DB01 is mentioned but I think it’s not a great basher, it’s a bit intricate and not suited as well to abuse as the DN01, that’s purely my experience, others may differ. The Zahak wing and body are very tough. 

personally I can’t think of a reason why you shouldn’t have a zahak and a top force..... why only have one? It’s not like it’d be the start of a bottomless pit of necessity to own as many Tamiya chassis types as possible.... :ph34r:;)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Juls1 said:

why only have one?

IMG_1823 (2).png

The DN01 has since acquired the proper pink wheels :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

I'd lean Super Hot Shot then. Now, granted, I'm a fan of the first gen 4wds so there is that bias on my part. The SHS is enjoyable to drive IMHO. It has plenty of ground clearance and jumps nice and level. They do understeer a bit which is fairly common in the early 4wds. I wouldn't consider them overly maintenance intensive. The drivetrains are durable. They do look like a true buggy. The bodywork withstands rollovers pretty well. The re-re Hot Shot, which it shares the majority of its parts with has been in production since about 2007 so parts are plentiful. 

If you want more modern handling, then I'd say Top Force. I like the Terra Scorcher too, but I don't know how spares will be yet. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Problemchild said:

I find ball diffs more trouble that they are worth ;)

JJ

+1 JJ but a gear diff on road would be  nostalgia 😂

Like you, I’ll persevere with gears etc off road  - not least because Tamiya’s efforts are more or less impossible to keep tight / stable 

Contrast a Schumacher - and ... 

• Like 1

Still struggling with the Top Force thing guys 

Granted the TF is prob the simplest / best performer out of the box - but its a beautiful pita to hop up further 🙄

Largely due to TFE collectors ... who I’ve no issue with ... but they rabidly drive up prices + enthusiastically harvest spares 😂

So the TRF series actually become better / cheaper - esp if you dabble in Japan 

Anyway, I always buy the best / most affordable base kit - with the widest options ... because I’ve then got cash + opportunity to do what I like 

Every time I broke that rule - and I have 😂 - it really hurt when upgrades or funds inevitably became scarce 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saito2 said:

I'd lean Super Hot Shot then. Now, granted, I'm a fan of the first gen 4wds so there is that bias on my part. The SHS is enjoyable to drive IMHO. It has plenty of ground clearance and jumps nice and level. They do understeer a bit which is fairly common in the early 4wds. I wouldn't consider them overly maintenance intensive. The drivetrains are durable. They do look like a true buggy. The bodywork withstands rollovers pretty well. The re-re Hot Shot, which it shares the majority of its parts with has been in production since about 2007 so parts are plentiful. 

If you want more modern handling, then I'd say Top Force. I like the Terra Scorcher too, but I don't know how spares will be yet. 

Hey @Grumpy pants , i did a shs. its slow and nowhere near modern. great build but not anywhere near a modern buggy

35 minutes ago, Finnsllc said:

i did a shs. its slow and nowhere near modern. great build but not anywhere near a modern buggy

I never thought of the SHS as particularly slow but I'd also never call it anything close to modern which is why I suggested the Top Force for more modern handling. 

Basically you have most of the generations of 4wd buggies available: Hot Shot series (HS, SHS, Bigwig), Thundershot series (Terra Scorcher at the the moment), DF01 (Top Force or its baby brother, the Manta Ray), DF03 (Dark Impact) and the DB01 (Durga). There's also the entry level TT02B to toss into the mix. Each have their strengths and weaknesses ranging from parts availability to durability to handling etc. Typically, as the generations advance, "character" (i.e. handling quirks/flaws that make the buggies identifiable) goes away and handling prowess increases. 

...or you can step away from Tamiya altogether and get the superb Optima/Javelin/Turbo Optima rereleases from Kyosho. They are constructed from great materials, give you the choice of belt or chain drive (Optima and Javelin), don't have fussy ball diffs, take decent power and have great handling for their era. I wouldn't call them DB01 level, but they would blow away a Hot Shot series car and can keep pace with a Terra Scorcher or Top Force in my experience.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

I never thought of the SHS as particularly slow but I'd also never call it anything close to modern which is why I suggested the Top Force for more modern handling. 

Basically you have most of the generations of 4wd buggies available: Hot Shot series (HS, SHS, Bigwig), Thundershot series (Terra Scorcher at the the moment), DF01 (Top Force or its baby brother, the Manta Ray), DF03 (Dark Impact) and the DB01 (Durga). There's also the entry level TT02B to toss into the mix. Each have their strengths and weaknesses ranging from parts availability to durability to handling etc. Typically, as the generations advance, "character" (i.e. handling quirks/flaws that make the buggies identifiable) goes away and handling prowess increases. 

...or you can step away from Tamiya altogether and get the superb Optima/Javelin/Turbo Optima rereleases from Kyosho. They are constructed from great materials, give you the choice of belt or chain drive (Optima and Javelin), don't have fussy ball diffs, take decent power and have great handling for their era. I wouldn't call them DB01 level, but they would blow away a Hot Shot series car and can keep pace with a Terra Scorcher or Top Force in my experience.

i think we are talking tamya. But i was just saying, i have a shs on a gt motor. well yes its a 20 year old car and then some. but, compared to a basic sand viper its a slug. Im not being negative on the old school platform, just saying that i personally cant even come close to compairing the two. apples and oranges. im 46, grew up with frog, hornet, grasshopper, nhotshot, monster eetle, i get it. just saying as of now, if u are currently gonna have one buggy i nwouldnt go old school. I have a dn01, db01, db01rrr,top force sand viper, neo fighter, neo scoarcher..... all are better than a shs in todays market. Nostalgia not withstanding

• Like 1

It has to be a DF01 to get the best balance of handling and parts availability right?  I find the Top Force to be a great car to drive with very neutral handling which could give a modern race buggy a decent run for its money.  Mine has hi caps though which probably make a bit of a difference.  I imagine the Manta Ray will be very similar to a Top Force to run as well.  They certainly are a big step up over the Hotshot series, and better than the DF02 / TT02B as a runner too.  DB01 is probably better but I haven't seen a new kit at a reasonable price for a while now.

My only concern about durability is the arms and uprights since they don't seem to be of the same quality as the rest of the car, but if the speed is appropriate for the area you are running in then I don't think it would be a major problem.  I haven't broken anything yet running a Super Stock TZ in a small area.  I also have titanium turnbuckles, I reckon I would have bent the factory threaded rod if I was running them.

I think the chassis would comfortably handle 8.5T power, but with the high speed gears you can get the FDR low enough to run 17.5T if you like which is fast with the right motor and gearing.

• Like 2

I just want to say thank you to all the contributors, some great stuff in here and all really helpful- good bad or indifferent as far as I'm concerned. 

My brief  thoughts are-

1. Probably worth getting a cheap DT02 OR 3 as they are easy to build and fun to run without to much outlay. I have a 10 year old nephew who I adore and is getting into RC, who may benefit here. 

2. The Top Force is still right up there as an option- when the prices start to come back down again- I am guessing this is the slightly  older crowds preferred option.

3. The DB01 is really nice and my wife likes the look of it- this is now on my radar. Younger crowd?

4. The Zahhak although very cool and probably one of the best options isn't quite the right body style/colour comb for me. Younger than me crowd :lol:.

5. The Terra Scorcher now looks a bit dated to me compared to the options above, but I do like blue a lot.

6. I would like to think that at some stage I would have the pleasure of owning and lightly  running a Super Hot Shot- I think they look the dogs do daas.

7. Prehaps man up and run my shelf queen Wild One, get it dirty and enjoy it the way it is supposed to be enjoyed.

8. Kyosho- wow gorgeous but not enough time or money to go down this rabbit hole as well......

So the idea is too enjoy what I have, day dream about what I want and see what comes up for sale- IE the right car at the right price- but quite honestly any of the above would be great and I have no doubt I would enjoy.

All the best

Simon

Apologies if I missed anything out I am supposed to be working....

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

4. The Zahhak although very cool and probably one of the best options isn't quite the right body style/colour comb for me. Younger than me crowd :lol:.

5. The Terra Scorcher now looks a bit dated to me compared to the options above, but I do like blue a lot.

Buy the best car and paint it whatever color you want.  My Zahhak will be light fluorescent blue.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

1. Probably worth getting a cheap DT02 OR 3 as they are easy to build and fun to run without to much outlay. I have a 10 year old nephew who I adore and is getting into RC, who may benefit here. 

The DT03 Black is good value, but from a durability perspective the adjustable upper arms and metal driveshafts are a step backwards really, the ball cups pop off too easily once you bump up the power and start cartwheeling it, while they don't break, it becomes annoying having to put it back together many times per battery.

The DT03 Rising Fighter has usually come with bonus bearings and oil shocks, at the beach with paddle tyres and a sensorless brushless it's unstoppable, I've run alot of really stupid power with really stupidly grippy tyres and the transmission and plastic dogbones have taken it all in there stride, amazingly reliable drivetrain, (assuming you never put the stock aluminium pinion gear in, buy the steel pinion from day one. Tamiya 54628 or 54629)

my favorite Tamiya Sand Rail by far, but suitable paddle tyres are becoming harder to find as Proline 10101-00 has been discontinued and stocks are rapidly disapearing worldwide. Of course you can still buy them on rims, but the offset is all wrong because the wheels suit a traxxas vehicle. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, A-Baum said:

Buy the best car and paint it whatever color you want.  My Zahhak will be light fluorescent blue.

A great shout- I am looking forward to seeing the pictures :D