Finnsllc

Sorry to ask. Pics

I apologize upfront to anyone who is going to look at me as a difficult member for asking this question. Furthermore, I can assure anyone who reads this post I am not at all attacking, being difficult or from where I sit being unreasonable. Why can’t I/we, post pics in a post. My max upload is currently 0.83mb. That’s like floppy disk land. Dial up. We all have smart phones that allow u s to snap a quick pic and post. But often, I need to grab a crappy laptop and take a pic with the in laptop camera to lessen the upload file numbers. I am aware as I have been, in my opinion only, aggressively negatively informed that there are other ways to post pics. But in 2020 I would assume this would not be an issue. I am only asking why the allowable uploads change. Sometimes it is way more. Sometimes it is way way less. I’m just trying to understand without being beat up for asking. Thanks

I think its to keep the site running costs as low as possible. Paid up members get access to a Tamiyaclub photo hosting site.

Just use imgur (not being agreasive)

when you join you have a set amount you can upload, once used up you have to pay.

initially I was able to post a pic from my phone, then I had to use a compression app and now I just use imgur - then you can maintain control 

I have imgur folders for various things and it’s mega easy to upload the whole build to that folder and then press and hold the image to copy/paste into a thread 

I run a forum and we can’t afford to pay for that much image hosting so everyone is encouraged to host off site and hot link

JJ

• Like 2

My understanding is it costs the website money to have the Bandwidth required to be able to host unlimited photos. I have no doubt that Chris @netsmithUK could open up to host unlimited photo's, but the costs would have to be transferred to the members and that's probably going to limit users unbelievably. Honestly, using a hosting site like TCPhotos, Flickr, imgur etc is very easy using smart phones and posting the links into the forum to get your image displayed. maybe takes 30 seconds longer at most.

Your limit has a cap, so the 0.83mb is all you have left, the only way to achieve what you want to is to start deleting earlier photos that you have posted in threads, but that is not good for future readers who may be inspired by something you have posted.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Problemchild said:

I have imgur folders for various things and it’s mega easy to upload the whole build to that folder and then press and hold the image to copy/paste into a thread

I only started using imgur since joining this forum so not that handy with it yet. I tried posting a pic from it a few days ago but it would only show the link to that pic whereas other peoples pics show in their thread. Am I missing something simple here?

4 minutes ago, Andra said:

I only started using imgur since joining this forum so not that handy with it yet. I tried posting a pic from it a few days ago but it would only show the link to that pic whereas other peoples pics show in their thread. Am I missing something simple here?

Use the "direct link" option and put it into the box. It will automatically embed.

17 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

Use the "direct link" option and put it into the box. It will automatically 

I don't see that option in the app. Is that done from a laptop?

imgur likes to give you the link to the page the picture is on, not the actual picture. For example:

You can see the link it shows me here is the same as the page URL.

zG9965y.png

If I hit the down arrow next to the URL, some options are shown - you want the "Get share links"

DxYga9S.png?1

A popup box appears, you want the BBCode one at bottom left, press the copy button next to it.

R8V3ZQ5.png?1

All you need to do is paste that code in the tamiyaclub post window, that will give you text like the below.

DPJWT78.png

When you hit "Submit Reply" it will convert that text in to the picture:

mjNNhz3.jpg

But wait, there's more. By default, that picture could be pretty big, but imgur is clever and lets us change the size of the picture we post, this os often good to do because it stops huge pictures appearing in your posts. We do this by putting a lowercase letter L before the dot in the link, like this:

WaZiLhO.png

Which means the picture is posted smaller:

mjNNhz3l.jpg

instead of we can put an h that makes it a bit bigger, should you wish.

mjNNhz3h.jpg

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Andra said:

I don't see that option in the app. Is that done from a laptop?

I only do this w/ a desktop/laptop. I can't imagine doing all of this from a phone. This is what I see:

image.png.14b0e1355999ad2f39ce6a072c8249f2.png

The direct link, without any HTML brackets, automatically embeds. Very easy.

Ok, seems like going to an outside photo server is what i need to do. No prob, i am a paying member. As i said no negativity at all. just learning how to sidestep the issue. Wonder what it would cost ot upgrade the system for paying members.

As a long time imgur user please remember to set your forum photos to hidden or private so they don't pop up in usersub. I'll give them an upvote though. Always do.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, XJman said:

As a long time imgur user please remember to set your forum photos to hidden or private so they don't pop up in usersub. I'll give them an upvote though. Always do.

Ha, I spotted a post there by @Green Tokyo last night, maybe we can take over usersub with Tamiyas :)

• Like 1

Yeah I often wonder and I do get it if it's to keep costs down! I'm no expert on downloading photos I just know what I need to know and it does get quite a bit frustrating when you can only load one photo especially when you are trying to compare something or do a build thread but I'm a paying member and the main site is pretty good (although it does have its moment but I think that's on my side rather than the forum!) It is worth the money to become a paying member I would recommend it (obviously if funds permit) because the more people join the better the forum becomes! 

There is also TCPhotos, which I think is available to all paying members, but you might need to PM Netsmith to get it activated.  You get quickly set up multiple albums and easily get the BBcode or other code to share your photos anywhere.  I use this for all my project and misc photos when I don't necessarily want to create a complete showroom entry yet.  I mostly use the showroom just for finished projects.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

There is also TCPhotos, which I think is available to all paying members, but you might need to PM Netsmith to get it activated.  You get quickly set up multiple albums and easily get the BBcode or other code to share your photos anywhere.  I use this for all my project and misc photos when I don't necessarily want to create a complete showroom entry yet.  I mostly use the showroom just for finished projects.

Same here! +1 for tcphotos.

Though Imgur looks good, especially the resizing.

54 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Same here! +1 for tcphotos.

Though Imgur looks good, especially the resizing.

+2 for TCPhotos. B)

I used to use Photobucket, have uploaded direct to the site, tried to use Imgur but annoyed me trying to set up account.

So paid for a subscription instead. TCPhotos is easy to use, and also added a token amount to running costs.

I will give a huge thanks to Chris @netsmithUK, you do a fantastic job keeping this going with all your hard work. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark_C said:

Ha, I spotted a post there by @Green Tokyo last night, maybe we can take over usersub with Tamiyas :)

Yeah... I'm going to start setting to private. And haha it was you that commented on my pic on imgur 😂

• Haha 1

I can understand why this forum specifies using picture hosting.

The major issue with picture hosting though can be seen in old threads = there are no pictures anymore with the pictures lost forever.

you will need to delete old pics from the my attachments and free up space

click on your forum name and you will see a drop down and its in there 

i don't have or can be bothered for a external photo host so i just delete old photos 

On 6/15/2020 at 10:58 PM, Finnsllc said:

I apologize upfront to anyone who is going to look at me as a difficult member for asking this question. Furthermore, I can assure anyone who reads this post I am not at all attacking, being difficult or from where I sit being unreasonable. Why can’t I/we, post pics in a post. My max upload is currently 0.83mb. That’s like floppy disk land. Dial up. We all have smart phones that allow u s to snap a quick pic and post. But often, I need to grab a crappy laptop and take a pic with the in laptop camera to lessen the upload file numbers. I am aware as I have been, in my opinion only, aggressively negatively informed that there are other ways to post pics. But in 2020 I would assume this would not be an issue. I am only asking why the allowable uploads change. Sometimes it is way more. Sometimes it is way way less. I’m just trying to understand without being beat up for asking. Thanks

I've no problem with anyone asking questions at all, its good to bring this stuff up as it makes me re-evaluate.

First, to clarify: your max upload limit is only 0.83mb because you've already uploaded 49.17mb. The figure you have is the remainder from your 50mb limit.

The reason for the limit was mainly a financial one, in that the server instance I have and storage in the cloud has a limit and potentially we have 10s of thousands of people uploading. That said it wasn't because of costs alone, it was the fact that as cameras got better and higher resolution,  the images as they come straight off the camera could be 10's of mb big, even though they are never displayed at that resolution, when in reality compress and resized they probably only need to be 100k - in which case your 50mb storage space would go a long way. I wanted to encourage people to take that approach rather than running up extra costs for the club.

That said I've just added another 25mb to everyone limit to see how it goes.

TCphotos for subscribers wasn't really to solve this problem or to 'sell' more subscriptions. That really came about to give people a better place to post pictures of family, friends, babies, holidays, puppies and cats rather than in their showroom. The fact they can also use it for hosting pictures required on any forum was just an unintentional benefit.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, netsmithUK said:

I've no problem with anyone asking questions at all, its good to bring this stuff up as it makes me re-evaluate.

First, to clarify: your max upload limit is only 0.83mb because you've already uploaded 49.17mb. The figure you have is the remainder from your 50mb limit.

The reason for the limit was mainly a financial one, in that the server instance I have and storage in the cloud has a limit and potentially we have 10s of thousands of people uploading. That said it wasn't because of costs alone, it was the fact that as cameras got better and higher resolution,  the images as they come straight off the camera could be 10's of mb big, even though they are never displayed at that resolution, when in reality compress and resized they probably only need to be 100k - in which case your 50mb storage space would go a long way. I wanted to encourage people to take that approach rather than running up extra costs for the club.

That said I've just added another 25mb to everyone limit to see how it goes.

TCphotos for subscribers wasn't really to solve this problem or to 'sell' more subscriptions. That really came about to give people a better place to post pictures of family, friends, babies, holidays, puppies and cats rather than in their showroom. The fact they can also use it for hosting pictures required on any forum was just an unintentional benefit.

Cheers

Chris

thanks for taking the time @netsmithUK

Photobucket Ruined forums across the world 

imjur is mega easy

just press and hold the image to copy the link if you have them organised in a folder or if you open the image you use the share icon bottom/middle and copy the link 

then you can post on multiple sites too and for more than just RC cars 

and yes make your folders private or you get spotty teens telling you that your life is over 

JJ