Sign in to follow this  
Hl0107

Non Tamiya clear coat over TS paint?

Hola,

Can I use other type of clear coat over tamiya ts paint? At the moment there isnt any rc or hobby shop that have available tamiya ts clear coat where I am. Can I use any other clearcoat paint?
Laquer, enamel?

Thank you again for your help!

Hector

I have used Halfords own brand clear lacquer on several Tamiya TS paint jobs and they have worked well. However I have not tried it with their entire colour palette, so I don't know if there is any variation in how the different TS colours would or would not react with the lacquer. Possibly worth testing on a small piece first?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah test piece for sure, but if you gently build up layers with a dust coat I think you’ll find it will be ok.

• Thanks 1

See my "Paint and Static" post for information on Pledge "Revive It", aka "Future Floor" and various other names.  This is banned from retail sale in the UK/EU due to it having a non-conforming nozzle, colour and smell but can be purchased on various auction sites etc.  Basically, in the UK/EU, if a poisonous (when swallowed) liquid is to be sold, a number of standard conformities must apply to the packaging and product.  This is why meths and almost every domestic bleach / cleaning chemical stinks, is brightly coloured and has an anti-tamper cap.

"Future" can be tipped into your airbrush neat and sprayed over the top of (or underneath) Tamiya decals, without causing them to curl up at the edges (provided you used the soapy water / hairdryer technique to stretch them into bends / crevices etc.