svenb

TA04 any love?

I've noticed not much in the way of ta04 chat recently!? 

I think it's a really nice chassis not just to look at but drive too. I built mine from parts as it was cheaper than getting a kit then hopping up. 

I think it's been overshadowed by the the ta05 and definitely the 02/03.

Lots of options for it, short wheelbase, reversible suspension, carbon chassis even plenty of blue bling available 🙂

Any fans? 

Need a "show us your TA04" thread. 

Sven 

• Like 1

I would love a short version; either TT01 or MR-S. 

There just aren't many about, I worry about parts availability etc. What was the lifespan of the chassis before the TA05 came out? I started working in a shop selling Tamiya in 2005, the TA05 was already around!

You've started the thread so why don't you show everyone what you've got?! :lol:

I tried a TA-04 once:

img36210_25042015200907_10.jpg

It was a very nice car, but the chassis proved a bit vulnerable to the odd stone that made its way into the belts. For some reason, I found it uninspiring, but that has more to do with how I felt about touring cars and less about the TA-04 itself. But then, I did get one well after the TA-04 was discontinued...

The fact that it was a TA-04 I tried was sort of serendipitous, since I was more after the Loctite Zexel GT-R that sat on top of the chassis. I probably could have been just as happy had there been a TA-06 or TB-03 under there (maybe even more so with the better parts support). Still, I have to say the car treated me well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, svenb said:

I think it's a really nice chassis not just to look at but drive too. I built mine from parts as it was cheaper than getting a kit then hopping up. 

Lots of options for it, short wheelbase, reversible suspension, carbon chassis even plenty of blue bling available 🙂

Any fans? 

Sven 

It's kinda like Tamiya's forgotten chassis with only a few hard-core people who like it.

Been meaning to ask....

What's the deal with reversible suspension?

8 hours ago, Grastens said:

I tried a TA-04 once:

That Loctite Zexel Skyline is very desirable. Would look great next to my Castrol Supra. Loctite Skyline finished 2nd that season, I've seen a knock-off copy of that bodyshell and I'm really tempted...

6 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

What's the deal with reversible suspension?

I think it's more adjust-ability. I believe it's fitted to my TA05-R chassis. The arms are square, rather than angled to adjust wheelbase etc (like on a TA02). The pivot point of the upright moves right out, maximising suspension crank-angle (not sure of the correct term). Basically a long-span suspension setup. It's reversible because it has different mounting holes either side of the arm for fine-tuning. Stabiliser push-rod ball connectors are also fitted on the inside face.

I'm sure an actual racer has a better take on it though...  

• Thanks 1

I had a TA-04R. I loved it and very smooth car on track and nice for bashing too. I gave it to my son when I got a Pro4. He drove it, converted it to a drifter and he broke/wrecked it. :(

Anyway, as I said, it's a nice car honestly. But parts are scarce now.

• Like 2

Yep big ta04 fan here ! 

I have a ta04 ss, a ta04 r , a ta04 r tuned, a ta04 pro and a ta04 trf. I used To have a post here on tamiyaclub dont know if its still around. Great cars !

• Like 2

Still have lots of spare parts if anyone is in need

Here is the thread To my collection :

• Like 2

21 hours ago, svenb said:

Any fans? 

Sven 

I had a ta02 for fun and not so serious racing at local track in mid 90s, then switched to 1/12 and F1/Indy plus offroad stuff for rest of 90s.  Started working at LHS in early 2000, built few TA04 kits and some TL01 kits for customers.  We (LHS staff) built a parking lot track next to the store by putting down some white paint, corner disks(tamiya orange ones), and cones.  Lots of fun on weekend, seeing people driving/racing r/c cars and having a great time, not full blown serious racing.  I had TA04S, it came with carrying case (bright yellow color), I recall there was Corvette and MR-S TA04S kits at the time.  Coworkers were Corvette fans, so there were about 4 on the track with same body because that kit came with finished body.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

You've started the thread so why don't you show everyone what you've got?! :lol:

Fair enough sir👍

Hope to see more

IMG_20200617_230831.jpg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, svenb said:

Fair enough sir👍

Hope to see more

IMG_20200617_230831.jpg

Beautiful! 

Recently picked a TA04 up for cheap, love it, gonna rebuild it soon B)

15 minutes ago, Al Fred said:

lis it worth it to get the TA04 SS?

If it's a shorter wheelbase chassis you want then yes👍

5 hours ago, svenb said:

If it's a shorter wheelbase chassis you want then yes👍

thanks for the reply. 

1 hour ago, Al Fred said:

anyone got ideas on alternative for the front and rear shock towers?

Alternative to the plastic towers? 

Carbon👍

That allows bumper mounted posts or centre of wheel arch 

Yes!!

I wanted something with wheel-arch body mounts for an old Mercedes shell so picked up this TA04SS mint condition roller with TRF shocks, which I have now stripped down ready for a clean and rebuild

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Planning on changing the rear arms to convert to 257mm wheelbase and then source as many hop ups as I can find to turn it into an R/Pro hybrid, keeping the plastic lower deck

The only negative is the amount of self tapping screws! Other than that it feels like a really nice chassis with a lot of potential for personalisation as and when the parts pop up, I'm really looking forward to rebuilding it :)

Any tips welcome...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juhunio said:

Yes!!

I wanted something with wheel-arch body mounts for an old Mercedes shell so picked up this TA04SS mint condition roller with TRF shocks, which I have now stripped down ready for a clean and rebuild

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Planning on changing the rear arms to convert to 257mm wheelbase and then source as many hop ups as I can find to turn it into an R/Pro hybrid, keeping the plastic lower deck

The only negative is the amount of self tapping screws! Other than that it feels like a really nice chassis with a lot of potential for personalisation as and when the parts pop up, I'm really looking forward to rebuilding it :)

Any tips welcome...

Hang fire with sourcing rear arms! I may have some 👍

• Thanks 1

Check how low the Merc body will go down as I wanted to fit a capri body but the mounts are too tall. 

• Thanks 1

Fibre Lyte have a carbon TA04 Pro shock tower, but it's not going to save you any height. Maybe draw out the current towers, drop them 5mm, get Fibrelyte to make them and get some 50mm shocks?

3 hours ago, svenb said:

Check how low the Merc body will go down as I wanted to fit a capri body but the mounts are too tall. 

It's a CLK DTM body set, and according to Tamiyabase there was a CLK DTM TA04-S kit back in the day, so I assume it will be fine

https://tamiyabase.com/tamiya-models/58279

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

It's a CLK DTM body set, and according to Tamiyabase there was a CLK DTM TA04-S kit back in the day, so I assume it will be fine

https://tamiyabase.com/tamiya-models/58279

👍 Should be alright then, I was thinking it was a clk gtr 

• Like 1

Has the TA04 got twin belts as well? I thought the first one with twins was the 06?

I've really enjoyed driving the  TA03RS ran so nicely out of the box once I'd changed the pinion on it, runs perfectly straight and much less inclined to roll over compared to my TT02.

The TA06 is another story though, I've only run it twice and just seems much less planted than the 03, I think I need to strip all the turnbuckles off and re measure them all as it goes pretty much any direction except straight.

I do enjoy the noise the 03 makes as well, the belt running sounds way better than the shaft driven cars.

I'm tempted on getting an 05 as well for no other reason than to add it into the collection, and also another 03 to keep for a runner....

#Tamiyalife