svenb

TA04 any love?

I've noticed not much in the way of ta04 chat recently!? 

I think it's a really nice chassis not just to look at but drive too. I built mine from parts as it was cheaper than getting a kit then hopping up. 

I think it's been overshadowed by the the ta05 and definitely the 02/03.

Lots of options for it, short wheelbase, reversible suspension, carbon chassis even plenty of blue bling available 🙂

Any fans? 

Need a "show us your TA04" thread. 

Sven 

I would love a short version; either TT01 or MR-S. 

There just aren't many about, I worry about parts availability etc. What was the lifespan of the chassis before the TA05 came out? I started working in a shop selling Tamiya in 2005, the TA05 was already around!

You've started the thread so why don't you show everyone what you've got?! :lol:

I tried a TA-04 once:

img36210_25042015200907_10.jpg

It was a very nice car, but the chassis proved a bit vulnerable to the odd stone that made its way into the belts. For some reason, I found it uninspiring, but that has more to do with how I felt about touring cars and less about the TA-04 itself. But then, I did get one well after the TA-04 was discontinued...

The fact that it was a TA-04 I tried was sort of serendipitous, since I was more after the Loctite Zexel GT-R that sat on top of the chassis. I probably could have been just as happy had there been a TA-06 or TB-03 under there (maybe even more so with the better parts support). Still, I have to say the car treated me well.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, svenb said:

I think it's a really nice chassis not just to look at but drive too. I built mine from parts as it was cheaper than getting a kit then hopping up. 

Lots of options for it, short wheelbase, reversible suspension, carbon chassis even plenty of blue bling available 🙂

Any fans? 

Sven 

It's kinda like Tamiya's forgotten chassis with only a few hard-core people who like it.

Been meaning to ask....

What's the deal with reversible suspension?

8 hours ago, Grastens said:

I tried a TA-04 once:

That Loctite Zexel Skyline is very desirable. Would look great next to my Castrol Supra. Loctite Skyline finished 2nd that season, I've seen a knock-off copy of that bodyshell and I'm really tempted...

6 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

What's the deal with reversible suspension?

I think it's more adjust-ability. I believe it's fitted to my TA05-R chassis. The arms are square, rather than angled to adjust wheelbase etc (like on a TA02). The pivot point of the upright moves right out, maximising suspension crank-angle (not sure of the correct term). Basically a long-span suspension setup. It's reversible because it has different mounting holes either side of the arm for fine-tuning. Stabiliser push-rod ball connectors are also fitted on the inside face.

I'm sure an actual racer has a better take on it though...  

• Thanks 1

I had a TA-04R. I loved it and very smooth car on track and nice for bashing too. I gave it to my son when I got a Pro4. He drove it, converted it to a drifter and he broke/wrecked it. :(

Anyway, as I said, it's a nice car honestly. But parts are scarce now.

• Like 1

Yep big ta04 fan here ! 

I have a ta04 ss, a ta04 r , a ta04 r tuned, a ta04 pro and a ta04 trf. I used To have a post here on tamiyaclub dont know if its still around. Great cars !

• Like 2

Still have lots of spare parts if anyone is in need

Here is the thread To my collection :

• Like 1

21 hours ago, svenb said:

Any fans? 

Sven 

I had a ta02 for fun and not so serious racing at local track in mid 90s, then switched to 1/12 and F1/Indy plus offroad stuff for rest of 90s.  Started working at LHS in early 2000, built few TA04 kits and some TL01 kits for customers.  We (LHS staff) built a parking lot track next to the store by putting down some white paint, corner disks(tamiya orange ones), and cones.  Lots of fun on weekend, seeing people driving/racing r/c cars and having a great time, not full blown serious racing.  I had TA04S, it came with carrying case (bright yellow color), I recall there was Corvette and MR-S TA04S kits at the time.  Coworkers were Corvette fans, so there were about 4 on the track with same body because that kit came with finished body.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

You've started the thread so why don't you show everyone what you've got?! :lol:

Fair enough sir👍

Hope to see more

IMG_20200617_230831.jpg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, svenb said:

Fair enough sir👍

Hope to see more

IMG_20200617_230831.jpg

Beautiful! 

Recently picked a TA04 up for cheap, love it, gonna rebuild it soon B)

15 minutes ago, Al Fred said:

lis it worth it to get the TA04 SS?

If it's a shorter wheelbase chassis you want then yes👍

5 hours ago, svenb said:

If it's a shorter wheelbase chassis you want then yes👍

thanks for the reply.