Sign in to follow this  
Ridge

From TT02B to DB01/DF03 or something else?

I’ve spent far too much on my TT02B dual ridge but much of that is because I’ve got 4300kv of 3S sillyness fitted. I’ve broken or lost something on almost every outing but it’s a fun project. I do have some more parts (wheels, carbon upper deck etc) on the way but I am wondering if moving on to another car would make more sense?

I had a DB01 which I’ve always regretted selling, I’m tempted but spare parts appear to be an issue. Is a DF03 a decent step up from a TT02B? Given my choice of too much power just for the fun of it the DF03’s parts availability seems to make sense.  I may be open to other makes but I would rather stick with Tamiya if I can. 

4 minutes ago, Ridge said:

I’ve spent far too much on my TT02B dual ridge but much of that is because I’ve got 4300kv of 3S sillyness fitted. I’ve broken or lost something on almost every outing but it’s a fun project. I do have some more parts (wheels, carbon upper deck etc) on the way but I am wondering if moving on to another car would make more sense?

I had a DB01 which I’ve always regretted selling, I’m tempted but spare parts appear to be an issue. Is a DF03 a decent step up from a TT02B? Given my choice of too much power just for the fun of it the DF03’s parts availability seems to make sense.  I may be open to other makes but I would rather stick with Tamiya if I can. 

If you want to overpower a car then look at a modern race kit.  They are really durable designed for crazy power.  There are always good secondhand deals around on them too as people change around and try the latest kit, especially when a new kit is released.  There are bound to be a lot of Ae B64 around secondhand as the B74 has been out for a few months now.  HB D418, Tekno EB410 have both been on sale recently too if you want new.

Tamiya don't really have anything that will hold up to 4300kv on 3S.  The DB01 is probably the best bet if you want to stick to Tamiya though.

• Like 1

Not so keen on the box art colours but the top force looks good. I do worry about spares to some degree though, I will look into them. 

Will have a look through those race buggies too thanks, I mainly want to rocket around a local short grass field and anywhere else I happen to fancy. 

My Top force has a 4200kv on 2s and only broke a rear gearbox at the shock tower mounting point. Lots of spares available and can switch gear diff if ball diff gives trouble. Also can use modern 2.2 wheels. Never owned but I think a tamiya df03, db01 or db01rr should be fine with lots power. For non tamiya Arrma does silly fast.

• Like 1

I have a set of hop up hard dish wheels on the way so would use those if I went for one, would only be if the 3S and massive esc would fit though.  Can’t see the battery tray measurements online, do you happen to know what the dimensions of the battery tray are? 

I guess the other thing is I don’t feel too guilty bashing the tt02b, I would feel guilty about doing harm to a top force  

DB01 might take 3s with the slipper but you'd need to chop the battery tray about if you want to run hard packs. 

Personally I think it's the wrong car for 3s. DF03 will take un-cased 3s packs in its battery bay that doubles up as a case. Again will need the slipper mod. 

• Like 1

to be fair, if you want to go crazy fast get a Traxxas or an arrma.

• Like 1

I have managed to squeeze a 138x47x23 hardcase lipo in a top force battery tray. If your battery is to big you could run 2 velcro straps as in picture(not my pic) below. Never tried a 3s battery so up to you.

Tray roughly measures 136x48x32

TF4.jpg

• Like 1

My 3S is only 137x47x25 so it might well work.

Im going to fit the carbon brace and upper deck that arrived today then give it a few runs to see what happens. There’s a few screws I have already and a few more that I can replace with bolts, maybe I’m getting close making it reliable but maybe I’m just heading towards the next failure. 

Not sure I’m any closer to deciding but I have options now thanks. Either carry on abusing the tt02b, go for a little upgrade to a df03, more exotic top force, racing buggy or even look at 2wd. Appreciate your input thanks. 

DF01 isn't really going to cope that well with 3S and a decent powerplant if you have grippy tyres, if you have slippery tyres the gearbox might survive. the problem is the top cover allows the gears to flex out of place, there is mods to bolt it down harder, but they only help a tiny bit.

DF03 is better with a slipper clutch but then your stuck with ball diffs, which don't take too kindly to super crazy motors, but plenty of people do put fairly severe power plants in them. 

the DB01 may take the power, but it's not really a basher, again ball diffs could be the limit, although a DB01RR may be a better choice with slipper clutch as standard and gear diffs. 

I've got a number of traxxas vehicles that all claim to take 3S, which you can put the 3S in it, but I'm lucky to last 1 pack without breaking it, and they are far from immune to drivetrain problems when used on 3S. Run on 2S you can go for months without a issue, 1 3S pack and it's broken. Tamiyas are not really any different. 

This being said you havn't shown/told us what motor your running, just saying it's 4300kv means nothing, Ive got 5000kv motors that are hopelessly slower and less powerful than other motors of 3000kv. If it's just a cheapie motor, one of those smaller internals types, then 3S on those isn't really anything special.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is only a goolrc 4300kv 4 pole, the red one, rated at 900w / 75a from memory. I have their 120a ESC with it so there’s plenty of headroom.  It wouldn’t be in the least bit surprising if a more expensive combo was better but it does really fly. Hard to estimate the speed, will try to measure at some point. Currently geared with a 22t pinion and 61t spur, motor does have a fan on it but it’s so far only getting warm, nothing like hot.