hedge

Tyres not going the same way

I think I must have a duff batch, can't get the tread going the same way no matter what I try. Has anyone got these tyres and have the same issue?

tyres.thumb.jpg.9cbefd4cfc2b4fa4b7cf8684ce873622.jpg

That's fine - you get that on road car tyres too; the pattern is just referred to as 'asymmetrical' where it can be used on either side.

Tamiya make directional tyres too, like the Super Grip Radial and Racing Radial tyres. They're more expensive than the regular radial tyres you have there of course. 

It's fine ;) 

• Like 1

This does not sit well in my brain, I like symmetry and geommetric alignment - I can spend ages aligning cutlery to mat edges etc. :D

Trouble is, once you notice it, it's everywhere.

Over the years, I've learnt to cope, but still not a fan :lol:

img169_13032016150752_3_1100_.jpg

img169_05102015205000_1_1100_.jpg

img169_15102012210551_1_1100_.jpg

img169_06072012231732_1_1100_.jpg

img169_08122008211907_1_1100_.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks at least its not an error, but boy I would expect that to make the car "Crab". Ill be running them later and just wont be able to stop thinking.... "did it just crab a fraction of a mm..."   arggghhhhh. I to suffer with mild OCD. 

I know why you'd think that, but it doesn't really make sense - one tyre on it's own wouldn't crab, so two shouldn't make any difference?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hedge said:

...but boy I would expect that to make the car "Crab". Ill be running them later and just wont be able to stop thinking.... "did it just crab a fraction of a mm..."  

I'm with you on that - chevron tyres are directional so they displace the running surface from the centre, outwards, keeping the vehicle running as straight as possible - I can't see how sideways-directional tread doesn't produce a similar effect

• Like 1

The contact patch is too small to have any effect. The voids between the raised 'blocks' are for dispersing water - they can't 'disperse' the road surface, nor can this have any measurable effect on the lateral forces of the wheel, reality is that at 1/10 scale, it's largely vanity. A tread pattern may serve to help keep the tyres cooler on a hotter track, but ultimately just reduces tyre traction. The real reason for having a pattern is to mimic real-life cars.

Best grip of course is a completely slick tyre, to maximise the contact patch.

If you take the Unimog;

img169_05102015205000_1_1100_.jpg

Looking from above, with truck front at top of pic, the running surface must displace off to the right when the truck accelerates (the left shoulder knobble hits the surface first) - that must have some effect (even tiny) on the straight line

If you think of the tread bars as propeller blades, it makes more sense (to me)

• Like 3

I think there's enough slop in most Tamiya steering setups to hide any traction-based trajectory errors :lol:

7 hours ago, TWINSET said:

This does not sit well in my brain, I like symmetry and geommetric alignment - I can spend ages aligning cutlery to mat edges etc. :D

Not just me then ;)

I can see your theory behind the odd tyre pattern , and it makes sense to me too . The water displacement does appear to be one sided , but as it is small scale and various other factors come into play , like slack in model joints etc I wouldn't think it would make too much difference to the running - BUT IT ISN'T SYMMETRICAL !!

It would take 2 sets of tooling and double the price of your tyres though :)

so tamiya make 1 tyre pattern and you get 4 

JJ

The lack of symmetry has always bothered me as well. In practice it really doesn't matter. Most RC cars are asymmetric in many other ways that would have a much greater effect on performance.