foz75

Novafox incoming :)

So after thinking about it for too long, I've gone and ordered a novafox! It was the best looking (to me at least!) when I had one back in the 80's, and it's still the best looking 2wd today (again, to me at least!) it's just that combination of side profile, front monoshock, those wheels and tyres....    I know it's not going to perform like a modern car, but that's not the point, and I don't expect it to - I just want to feel like I'm 13 again :lol:

I remember mine failing at the front end (wishbone, I think), and while I don't intend to thrash this one, I would like to build it as solidly as possible so any advice regarding that would be greatly appreciated. I'll be getting a bearing kit for the front wheels, but what about stuff like hinge pins?  Will they make it any stronger and less likely to fail if I do the initial build with them instead of the screwed pins? Is there anything else that can be done to improve on the basic tamiya kit, without going overboard? 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, foz75 said:

So after thinking about it for too long, I've gone and ordered a novafox! 

Where did you score the order? I almost ordered one from Poland a few weeks ago, but chickened out because of the bank wire payment.  

I was really surprised at the speed of the Novafox out of the box. Its plenty fast on the kit motor and pinion. I don't think anything has broken on ours either. They are great runners but understeer like a $&%¥@ so are so much fun if you don't expect them to handle like a modern car.

Enjoy, they look so good running.

• Like 1

If you can get hinge pins to replace the screw pins on the suspension arms that will go a long way to removing issues resulting from the arms cracking around the screw holes, the other thing I would look at is getting some aftermarket alloy rear wheel hubs to replace the black plastic ones, these are also subject to cracking.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

If you can get hinge pins to replace the screw pins on the suspension arms that will go a long way to removing issues resulting from the arms cracking around the screw holes, the other thing I would look at is getting some aftermarket alloy rear wheel hubs to replace the black plastic ones, these are also subject to cracking.

OK, thanks for the heads up!  

• Like 1

I totally agree the Novafox looks wicked. 

The Fox/Novafox, the Frog and the Hotshot are my favourite looking Tamiya buggies, I think it's something to do with the classic looks and rectangular looking wing. 

The fox is my favourite too,this is my original fox never run and my re re hotshot.The best looking 2wd and 4wd buggies in my opinion.

20200618_201704.jpg

• Like 3

I'll take my time getting it built so don't hold your breath...  next on the list is the hotshot. They just look like they belong together, and while the suspension might be not much good compared to modern stuff, or even older stuff but with individual shocks, there's just something about it!  I don't care how they compare to modern stuff, the most modern car I've ever run was my original fox so I'm not going to know any different anyway :D

• Like 2

OK, so it's arrived! :D

haven't even opend the box yet...  looks like I need to replace four 3x46mm screw pins, and eight 3x32 screw pins. I assume I'd need the same size hinge pins? 3x46 and 3x32? or are they measured in a different way?

For the wheel hubs, I think they're part D4, which is locked to the rear axle with part BC4 (2x10mm pin) ?  any suggestions for a suitable replacement that would be compatible with the novafox wheels?

I wish Tamiya would re re this re re (even if it technically isn't quite a re re).

• Like 1

I liked it so much I got two! One I already built and the other I’ll make some $ on (I got it for $150 NIB) or just keep it unbuilt. 

On 6/18/2020 at 8:25 PM, Super ally said:

The fox is my favourite too,this is my original fox never run and my re re hotshot.The best looking 2wd and 4wd buggies in my opinion.

20200618_201704.jpg

Good choices! Although I really can't claim that my original Fox has never been run... I've had it since maybe about 1987

IMG_3254.jpg

ps apologies for the photo quality - just a quick snap on my phone to mimic yours!

• Like 3

Apparently this is coming back in September. Tony’s Tamiya Parts said on their Facebook page. Might have to get one this time!

• Like 2

I won't be building mine for a while, not until at least my eldest has got his for his birthday :)

Any idea if or when we can know for certain if they're re-re-re-ing it?

It was Tonys Tamiya Parts saying it, so It’s gotta be legit. He said September. £165 with ESC (from them, at least)

On 6/27/2020 at 12:59 AM, dc-arena said:

Apparently this is coming back in September. Tony’s Tamiya Parts said on their Facebook page. Might have to get one this time!

What great news!  Last night on tamiya usa I noticed it's not listed as "discontinued", but "out of stock".  Signed up for "request notification availability" as a long shot, but now I have some hope!

• Like 2

Ugh I recently paid through the nose for shipping and “COVID related shipping fees” on top to get one of the last Novafox from Tamico. Oh well.  At least I have one.

On 6/19/2020 at 11:37 PM, mtbkym01 said:

Not sure about hinge pins, I’ve never looked into it. It might be a bit trial and error. I’ve got these rear hubs coming to me to try out

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-Fox-Falcon-Wild-One-Aftermarket-Alloy-Hubs-Small-Shaft-4-2mm/264078225863?hash=item3d7c49f1c7:g:K6gAAOSwjDpewnXs

I’ve ordered those hubs for my vintage Fox restoration, as the plastic hubs were worn where the pin holds them in place. The ones I ordered were 5.0mm ones as when I measured the drive shaft it was 4.8mm.

Did yours fit ok?

15 hours ago, Newsh said:

I’ve ordered those hubs for my vintage Fox restoration, as the plastic hubs were worn where the pin holds them in place. The ones I ordered were 5.0mm ones as when I measured the drive shaft it was 4.8mm.

Did yours fit ok?

They haven’t arrived yet, postage to Australia takes a long time at the moment. I didn’t think to measure tbh.

*edit - well they just arrived and I can confirm that the original needs the 5mm ones that you ordered, and the Nova will use the 4.2mm as I linked above