foz75

Novafox incoming :)

Thanks - just got home and mine have just arrived

On 6/30/2020 at 11:28 PM, mtbkym01 said:

They haven’t arrived yet, postage to Australia takes a long time at the moment. I didn’t think to measure tbh.

*edit - well they just arrived and I can confirm that the original needs the 5mm ones that you ordered, and the Nova will use the 4.2mm as I linked above

Oh - that's interesting. I put Novafox driveshafts in my vintage Fox, and reused the original plastic hubs. I didn't notice a size problem.

26 minutes ago, AJB123 said:

Oh - that's interesting. I put Novafox driveshafts in my vintage Fox, and reused the original plastic hubs. I didn't notice a size problem.

I imagine the 5mm holed hubs will fit on the narrow shaft without a noticeable effect, the pin will keep it balanced anyway. (unless there are 2 versions of axle on original Foxes?) 

I’m not sure - I measured the driveshafts on my vintage fox and they are showing 4.8mm using a digital caliper. With the 5mm aluminium hubs fitted and the wheel nuts are fully tightened, there’s a tiny bit of play, it’s minuscule, but it is there. To be honest I think could be wear on the original shafts, but even the 0.2mm difference gave a tiny bit of movement.

If the Novafox uses thinner diameter shafts, I wouldn’t advise the 5mm hubs, going off the above

17 hours ago, Newsh said:

I’m not sure - I measured the driveshafts on my vintage fox and they are showing 4.8mm using a digital caliper. With the 5mm aluminium hubs fitted and the wheel nuts are fully tightened, there’s a tiny bit of play, it’s minuscule, but it is there. To be honest I think could be wear on the original shafts, but even the 0.2mm difference gave a tiny bit of movement.

If the Novafox uses thinner diameter shafts, I wouldn’t advise the 5mm hubs, going off the above

Thinking about it, they can't be thinner on the Novafox. They still use an 1150 bearing (so nominal 5mm diameter there), and it doesn't step down in size to where the hub goes. I'm mostly just being lazy not bothering to take the wheels off and measure mine, but I reckon it must be nominal 5mm on both original and rere. I think I would have noticed if there was loads of play in the hubs when I rebuilt mine anyway (new Novafox driveshafts, original 80s hubs).

15 hours ago, AJB123 said:

Thinking about it, they can't be thinner on the Novafox. They still use an 1150 bearing (so nominal 5mm diameter there), and it doesn't step down in size to where the hub goes. I'm mostly just being lazy not bothering to take the wheels off and measure mine, but I reckon it must be nominal 5mm on both original and rere. I think I would have noticed if there was loads of play in the hubs when I rebuild mine anyway (new Novafox driveshafts, original 80s hubs).

This is a very good point, I eyeballed the alloy ones to some genuine Nova Fox ones in my spares and they look identical, I pulled a wheel off of my genuine Fox and the alloy one won’t fit, might need to pull a wheel Andrew hex of my Nova to check

3 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

This is a very good point, I eyeballed the alloy ones to some genuine Nova Fox ones in my spares and they look identical, I pulled a wheel off of my genuine Fox and the alloy one won’t fit, might need to pull a wheel Andrew hex of my Nova to check

If you need me to measure things then I can; I've got the original Fox ones (replaced back in the day and worn out again!), the original, original early Fox ones (taken off in the 80s when they wore out), and Novafox ones on the car now (I bought the relevant Novafox parts bag). I don't want to take the wheels off more often than I have to as the original hubs are past their best, but I can measure any of the above.

2 minutes ago, AJB123 said:

If you need me to measure things then I can; I've got the original Fox ones (replaced back in the day and worn out again!), the original, original early Fox ones (taken off in the 80s when they wore out), and Novafox ones one the car now (I bought the relevant Novafox parts bag). I don't want to take the wheels off more often than I have to as the original hubs are past their best, but I can measure any of the above.

It’s ok, I have a NiB original, 2 built originals and a built Nova with Hex’s so new standard Nova hubs as well. I can check them out. I’m extremely curious as to why they offer the smaller hole ones now. I’m thinking if I need to I will drill out these ones I got to the thicker 5mm

Very interested in this... Will open my Novafox box and measure, just to compare

1 hour ago, Super ally said:

Why?

because I already have a built one that I hardly ever use. and its going to rereleased again in a month or two so if want another NIB one, can buy and make $ again on it if want. 

10 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

because I already have a built one that I hardly ever use. and its going to rereleased again in a month or two so if want another NIB one, can buy and make $ again on it if want. 

Just read its back on sale 10th sept for £165.

So ... any more news on a release on the 2020 re-re Nova Fox?  

I've seen a video on the current re-re of the re-re'd re-re :huh: but nothing available in shops here yet . Not even a pre-order option. 

1 hour ago, Mirrorman said:

So ... any more news on a release on the 2020 re-re Nova Fox? 

UK store Modelsport has stock; https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=376225

UK eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-Nova-Fox-58577/174468160989?hash=item289f1cdddd:g:giMAAOSwtzVffXaD

RCMart have back-order option; https://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-1-10-novafox-buggy-2wd-w-esc-ep-58577-00037031

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all, I keep hearing about a new run on the Novafox but I can't actually find one to buy anywhere (apart from people selling off their first batch Novafox's for lots of money on eBay).  Is this simply a result of covid 19 impacting on production??  Can anyone help??

I've tried the links provided earlier in this thread but there's nothing in stock anywhere (unless I'm being dumb)

11 hours ago, Hudson said:

Hi all, I keep hearing about a new run on the Novafox but I can't actually find one to buy anywhere (apart from people selling off their first batch Novafox's for lots of money on eBay).  Is this simply a result of covid 19 impacting on production??  Can anyone help??

I've tried the links provided earlier in this thread but there's nothing in stock anywhere (unless I'm being dumb)

What country are you in ?

Thanks for the heads up - though I'm unable to find the one you mention.  To be perfectly honest, I'm not desperate to buy one right now.  It's more that I'd like to know whether there has already been a second run on the Novafox and I missed the boat, or whether it's imminent, or whether it never happened, or whether it did happen and was cut short by corona virus and new stock will be hitting shops soon.  Does anyone know??

In the states, only Tamiya USA has them.  As it has been marked discontinued twice before through Tamiya USA, I consider this the third release.  Other markets could be different I guess.

18 hours ago, Hudson said:

Thanks for the heads up - though I'm unable to find the one you mention.  To be perfectly honest, I'm not desperate to buy one right now.  It's more that I'd like to know whether there has already been a second run on the Novafox and I missed the boat, or whether it's imminent, or whether it never happened, or whether it did happen and was cut short by corona virus and new stock will be hitting shops soon.  Does anyone know??

I have one ordered from modeltune in the uk and they still have one left in stock.£189.