mongoose1983

Help: Anybody using the AMPro Hornet Axle bracket?

Tonight I've installed the 045005-04 Hornet Transmission Retainer-Trans Tab that's sold by AMPro in California on my vintage Hornet. I have used previously the AMPro axle bracket for the Lunchbox and it works absolutely fantastic. I don't know I might have done something wrong but this one doesn't work properly. The bad thing about this is that you have absolutely no information on how to mount it and what it requires to work. I've checked the sale link, and the AMPro youtube channel, and there is NOTHING. :(

Now, you'd suppose someone with years of experience might be able to find out, but... it just hasn't been the case with me -seemingly.  :cabezaso:

Here's the sale link: https://www.shapeways.com/product/JAY8JS7SY/045005-04-hornet-transmission-retainer-trans-tab?optionId=59366106&li=marketplace

I just want to know, do I need to remove the side springs? And also, do I need to remove the metal bar that goes inside the lower mount of the Hornet's axle?

I've searched pictures on the internet and so far I've come up with nothing. I think perhaps someone in here installed one of these before so you might know better. I do believe I've installed the thing properly, but since it doesn't work, then I believe I must have done something wrong. And it's killing me not just because it doesn't work but mostly because I've drilled two holes in a vintage 1984 Hornet chassis, not a rere! :zippy gota:

Please help me if you can.

Y'all stay safe and have a nice Thursday! :)

https://i.imgur.com/wB2wdfs.jpg

Hello, yes I have bought this for my hornet! @mongoose1983

I purchased the one so I could use the ampro battery door and with no gearbox tab.

It looks like you have the other version, to use the original battery door and you require your gearbox to have the little sticking out plastic tab, which to my knowledge, comes with the grasshopper only (and maybe some older pumpkins??).

The gearbox tab locates in that hole, the other type for hornet has an c shaped mount that 'grabs ' the gearbox.

Keep the lower bar, springs its up to you, I think I kept mine.

Basically I think you have the grasshopper version and not the hornet version! 

@Pintopower the designer should be able to confirm this if he sees this.

• Like 1

I hate to say this but I think you have ordered the wrong one - I only know this bscause I did the same too and had to look for the tab version and get another one made. The version you need has the projecting peice that wraps around axle. I left the springs in.

Resized_20200618_071924_5471.jpeg

Resized_20200618_071858_6197.jpeg

• Like 2

THANK YOU guys for your replies.

No, the one I got it's the correct one. This is for the original version of the Hornet. Pictures below:

NtQi9FA.jpg

XdUPGzt.jpg

The axle doesn't swing easy as my lunchbox with its AMPro brace. It's kind of stuck. I've removed the side axles because the Lunchbox bracket requires them to be removed, but I kept the metal bar inside.

I now wonder what could I've done wrong?

The original Hornet from 1984 comes with what you call the "tab". Models without it are later releases. Here's the 1984 manual:

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/picManualBig.asp?f=hornet_manual_05.jpg

Hopefully Alberto will have some answer so I can get the bracket working properly. I'd be totally gutted if I installed it wrong and ruined the car :memato:

Ahh I see, no side to side articulation! Most odd!

• Like 1

Worst case scenario, make the ampro progressively larger until you get proper movement? You would have to spray it black and clear coat it maybe because of the dye is only so deep? (I think all parts are white and then dyed???)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, taffer said:

Worst case scenario, make the ampro progressively larger until you get proper movement?

Actually, I don't feel like touching (or even seeing for that matter) the buggy anymore.

I'm in hopes Alberto might see and comment here. There must be something wrong. The lunchbox bit has been all smiles for me, I can't believe this bracket requires any mod.

My re-re Hornet has the Ampro c-brace and a tab-less gearbox, similar to superluminal's photos. I removed the springs from the slots to allow the gearbox pivot freely and let the oil dampers do the actual suspension damping work - just like they do on a DT-01 buggy:

For your Hornet, make sure to remove the springs in the slots but keep the metal axle (edit: from reading your posts, I think you already did so), and if needed slightly enlargen the hole in the Ampro brace with a file.

I have often found with Shapeways parts that a little bit of fettling is required. Holes need to be drilled out to their proper size, a little bit of sanding and filing is needed where two parts meet each other, etc. I believe it is something to do with the printing process rather than a fault with the design itself, as it has been the case with parts from multiple designers, some of whom have had many years' experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

I have often found with Shapeways parts that a little bit of fettling is required. Holes need to be drilled out to their proper size

Alberto does show on his vid's where drilling and cleaning is required , so yes , some fettling is needed . Hope it works out Erich . I can't help as I don't have that part , only the LB one , which as you say is great

• Like 1