Sign in to follow this  
chib1977

Wheels on my TL01

So i bought this from ebay to get me back into the hobby, £90, ball raced, torque tuned motor and all the radio gear ,popped on some alloy dampers and gave it a good bashing till the nsr wheel fell off ,but im interested to know if the wheels are the right size, the rims have a 2" diameter and they just look....small and i believe the car is a bit of a frankenstein since i cant find a TL01 with the MK4 focus shell, anywho this is my first post here so "hello there" and thanks for having me.

IMG_20200616_184859539.jpg

1/10 on road wheels are all the same (I think!) you occasionally see a diameter listed but most of the time they just quote offset and width (typically 24 or 26mm).

Provided the wheel takes a 12mm hex, you can more or less use what you want. Just keep in mind a big offset will make the wheel stick out from the arch.

The body is a 3rd party one from a company called matrixline, they are pretty cheap hence all the misspelt company names, but it seems perfectly ok as a runner to me. If you want to change it look for a 190mm on road body. You can use 200mm bodies but you'll need wheels with a bigger offset to fill the arches otherwise it will look a bit odd. Any tamiya on road body should fit..

The wheel falling off could be because the nyloc insert is worn and the nut just backs off. Funnily enough I had a wheel come off my TL-01 not long ago, unfortunately it pulled the hex drive off and I lost the drive pin, going to replaced all the wheel nuts to prevent a recurrence.

Wow ,ive had the car about 3 months and only now that you have pointed it out can i see all the altered branding ,hahhaa ,now thats gonna bug me so much cheers !!

• Haha 1

I see what you mean, the wheel size does look off, but the wheels are indeed the right size. The wheel arches in the aftermarket body are a bit big though. You will no doubt find that it looks spot on with a genuine Tamiya body.

33 minutes ago, chib1977 said:

Wow ,ive had the car about 3 months and only now that you have pointed it out can i see all the altered branding ,hahhaa ,now thats gonna bug me so much cheers !!

Sorry :)

You have to admit, its not a bad likeness though:

spacer.png

It does look like the holes for body mounts might be a little wrong as the back wheel doesn't look centered in the arch.

• Like 1