Sign in to follow this  
Hibernaculum

Rare, vintage 1980s buggies.

G'day,

I'm not entirely sure what I want to ask, but basically I think we need a thread here dedicated to really rare vintage buggies. [:)]

After perusing the showrooms on Tamiyaclub, it's clear that this site is the internet's best chance by far of cataloging every 1/10th scale RC buggy ever made...but there's still a long way to go.

1/10th electric buggies (and trucks) will always be the number #1 category of RC to me. I dare say there will never be another RC category that experiences such a boom in popularity or features such a variety of designs and manufacturers, as buggies did in the 1980s. So much so that researching them is often like doing an archaeological "dig" - history is uncovered with each new car that is identified. This is because no-one paid enough attention to all the different cars, or bothered to document them, back in the day.

So here are a few questions that might inspire this thread to kick along for a while...

1) What's the rarest buggy you own?

3) Which rare buggy would you like to own?

4) What are some of the rarest buggies you've ever seen or heard of or heard rumours of? (And if they aren't on Tamiyaclub.com yet, then have you got a picture?)

5) Which unusual/rare buggy(s) in the showrooms of Tamiyaclub have interested you the most - either because you actually like them, or because you consider them great curiosities?

6) What was the most underrated buggy of it's time?

And so on....

Browsing Wldnas' showroom is a truly fascinating journey through the history of RC, both because of his awesome collection, but also because of the time and care he has taken to write about each car, and it's merits and weaknesses. Great job!

But even though his collection has cars I had never heard of, I can still think of a few that aren't featured in any showrooms. Examples:

Mugen Bulldog II

Mugen Manx

Spica RoadRunner

I have a Mugen Bulldog II and a Spica RoadRunner. I also have an old LaTrax buggy which I believe someone else here also has, however they weren't sure what it's actual name was.

Mine is in much poorer condition, but it has the original decals and I suspect (from looking at those) it could be called 'The Hustler'. It's a very old vehicle, from the metal era - you'd have to guess pre-1982. LaTrax is, I believe, rumoured to have been the company that later evolved into Traxxas?

My Spica RoadRunner (if anyone else has even heard of this) is in very near-new condition. The buggy itself is pretty much new-built, and the body is fine, but the decals are peeling a bit here and there. Still, haven't seen another one around yet [:)]. All I have is an old Australian electronics store catalogue from 1987, where the Spica RoadRunner was once sold, and I can confirmed that it retailed for AU$225.

Any thoughts guys?

cheers,

H.

I agree, the 80's was such a great time for buggies - there was just so much variety out there. That's why I'm hoping to get a lot of rare cars from that period. The Tamiya's don't do much for me...it's the oddball race cars I'm looking for.

I suppose the rarest buggies I have are my Nichimo cars, the Luminous and Vantage.

The cars I would most like to get are the AYK 4wds (Viper, Boost etc) and the Hirobo Ashura (4wd 1/12th car)... oh and the RCL Incident [8D]

I used to have both a Mugen Bulldog MkII and a Mugen Mercury. I can't believe I actually threw them out [:(]

And Yes Wldnas' showroom is pretty cool, especially the reviews [^]

There are a lot of guys on here with excellent collections [:)]

1) What's the rarest buggy you own?

It is a KYOSGO INTEGRA 4WD PRESTO (Vanning sister but with a Lexan body instead of roll cage)

Catalog photo : http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfiles/80784/He97272.jpg

My Presto Photo:

http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfiles/80784/Sx60686.jpg

3) Which rare buggy would you like to own?

Turbo Optima Mid Special

4) What are some of the rarest buggies you've ever seen or heard of or heard rumours of? (And if they aren't on Tamiyaclub.com yet, then have you got a picture?)

The Rarest buggy that i've seen was Kyosho Prestige, it is Turbo Burns sister (economic version) this buggy never made its way to any place.

Box photo:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/galleryi...fm?itemid=32255

5) Which unusual/rare buggy(s) in the showrooms of Tamiyaclub have interested you the most - either because you actually like them, or because you consider them great curiosities?

Kyosho Turbo Inferno

6) What was the most underrated buggy of it's time?

Kyosho Optima Pro, selecting your own ESC and motor spec was not fully appreciated by people when this buggy was released.

My rarest is definitively my DWA blu2 quarter scale. with a 20000Frf price tag this one did not make it in the french market:)

As for the one I most desire I would say the raco indy with all the fancy options : real pressure tires, brake disc and of course the real v8 twin cam engine... A picture is worth thousands words, so see for yourself:

formel2.gif

Nice to see this thread pop back to life [:)]. I'm sure if I had posted it in the Vintage Tamiya section, it would have 20 replies by now.

bender, I can't believe you threw them out either. What were you thinking? At least you've got a Luminous...(and don't let anyone tell you it's ugly either [:P])

raemin, that is one amazing RC Indy car...

cheers,

H.

You are right H - I think this is a great topic and covers Tamiya as well......

Cheers

Darryn

I would say that the rarest buggy i own, must be my Ishipla Monster..

As far as i know, i have the only one on TC, and i have not been able to find out much about the car at all.

Furthermore, it is newbuilt. ;)

I would like to own the ones i currently have, LOL, but also a Sand Rover.. I am not much into odd curiosities..

Next questions..

I musy say that rarity on its own dont really bother me. i just like the buggies i like because of their looks..

I think that here in Denmark, the most underrated buggy of its time was the SuperShot, but i think the primary reason for that was its price. It was very, very expensive here, and even though it was a great buggy, it was still outrun by the Optima, so it never really gained much popularity. (At least not in the RC-scenes i visited, LOL)..

Cheers..

Michael

quote:Originally posted by raemin

My rarest is definitively my DWA blu2 quarter scale. with a 20000Frf price tag this one did not make it in the french market:)

As for the one I most desire I would say the raco indy with all the fancy options : real pressure tires, brake disc and of course the real v8 twin cam engine... A picture is worth thousands words, so see for yourself:

formel2.gif

id="quote">id="quote">

Well, I would defenately want to own that one!

GREAT STUFF!!!

fbrake03.gif

thanks for the heads-up!

Grtz Dee

quote:Originally posted by raemin

formel2.gif

id="quote">id="quote">

I see a lovely red X.

How is this for rare, a Hot Trick Red Prince Frog with Thorp transmission. Made up of 90% Brand New out of the bag parts. Took me two years to get all these parts together.

prince1.jpg

Ill see your Hot Trick Frog and raise you one partially completed Hot Trick Dog Fighter. I have a bunch of these Hot Trick conversions in various states of progression, and this little fella is almost done.

I have the dual shock adaptor to mount 2 associated shocks on the front as opposed to the mono-shock but am not certain if I am going to use it.

What really ticks me off about these parts, is the fact that once in a while, you will see somebody selling a pile of these parts on ebay, in one lot. Problem is, like alot of stuff I am sure, the person who wins the parts is not the high bidder, but the one who can email the seller first and make a side deal. Oh well.

WG

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...d=38847&id=3729

I can't see the image woober goober, can you check your link?

Personally I am big fan of the Kyosho Tomahawk, it is not the rarest of buggies but there are still not that many mint condition ones on the club.

That Frog is crazy, I almost didn't recognise it as a frog [8D]

Great thread,

James

Should be fixed now Toykid. I have to agree with you, the Tomahawk is a fantastic car! I have one of my own that is slowly being completed. I like it more than the Scorpion because it uses the radio plate, as opposed to the plastic tub, to hold all the electronics.

WG

G'day,

That's a gorgeous car you've got there, Drew. I had already seen it in your showroom, and even printed out photos of it last week.

Not being familiar with the official sticker scheme and paint job on the Turbo Scorpion, does yours follow the manual? Either way, I think it's superb and, if I ever get a TS of my own, I'll be tempted to follow the look of your one.

cheers,

H.

My rarest, in the condition anyway, would be my PB Maxima http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...d=26885&sid=154 ... although I might be putting this and the NIP shock parts together and selling it, because I can't see any way I'll ever use or complete it... haven't even had the time to put together a 2-speed for it...

Alex

quote:Originally posted by Hibernaculum

bender, I can't believe you threw them out either. What were you thinking? At least you've got a Luminous...(and don't let anyone tell you it's ugly either [:P])

cheers,

H.

id="quote">id="quote">

At the time there was no such thing as ebay or collecting rare r/c cars [:(]

I love the Luminous, I think it's great [:)]

Actually I've just about finished building a new Nichimo Vantage - it looks great on the box, but once it's built it's one ugly car [:0]

Love the Scorpion and Tomahawk, but for me the best cars are the over-engineered 4wds of the 80's - Viper, Alien, Bulldog, Incident, Gallop MkII, Samurai, Lynx etc

I really want to get all these cars. i've got a second-hand Lynx that has come up looking good - but unfortunately the body is stuffed. Now I'm trying to decide whether to paint it on the outside or find another body that may fit...

I will hav eto join the club properly next year so I can put all my cars in my showroom.

Indeed you are right Theo, I got distracted by the DWA Quarter scale further up the page...

Your Scorpions look alright to me in the photos, you might be being a bit harsh on yourself.

Cheers,

Drew.

I don't have many vehicles that would be considered rare but I do have a lot of vehicles that have rare parts on them. A couple of my rides that stand out the most would have to be my scratch built four wheel drive Sand Scorcher http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=6169&id=34 and my RC-10 Graphite buggy with MIP 4wd kit http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=6906&id=34

quote:Originally posted by Drewboyaus

G'day H,

It's pure box art mate.....I can make you a copy of the manual if you like.

id="quote">id="quote">

Would love one Drew. Although one of these days, I'll have to try to afford a NIB TS, which will probably come with one anyway. But if you have a copy scanned and ready to go and it's no trouble...[:)]

And I'm glad to hear it's box art - even Kyosho could make good looking cars back in the day!

To me, anything with headlights looks good. (I'm referring to Dune Buggies, btw.)

But seriously, headlights maketh the dune buggy.

In fact, this point is almost worthy of whole new rambling topic from me (or anyone else who feels inspired)....

cheers,

H.