TR808

Issue with attaching Frog motor

Hi all,

A newb here. Been meaning to join for sometime, but now seems to be a perfect time. 

I’m currently in the process of building out the new Tamiya Frog and having issues with attaching the stock motor with the BB1 30mm screws. The screws go through the gear box and into the two holes in the motor. The holes don’t seem to have a thread and the screws just won’t take and hence the motor is loose. 

Pretty sure I’ve followed the instructions correctly. Has any other Frog builder had/seen this issue? Would appreciate any advice or tips to fix this. 

Thanks,

Patrick. 

C8825733-0CD8-423D-8B08-32A6B1840844.jpeg

Some 540 motor types have plain holes offset 90 degrees from the threaded mounting holes, so maybe double check that. Otherwise the threads in the motor or on the end of the bolt have stripped out. 

As H said , take the motor off and check the 30mm bolt threads  . If you have a couple of spare 6mm bolts try them in the threaded mount holes on the motor and see if they tighten up without using too much effort

Thanks both. 

that’s the thing, the motor doesn’t have any threaded mount holes which is strange. 

I have reached out to Tamiya as it doesn’t look right at all. 

09618D0E-5FCC-4F71-80BF-76C8C4FE33CC.jpeg

4 minutes ago, TR808 said:

Thanks both. 

that’s the thing, the motor doesn’t have any threaded mount holes which is strange. 

I have reached out to Tamiya as it doesn’t look right at all. 

09618D0E-5FCC-4F71-80BF-76C8C4FE33CC.jpeg

Take off the cartridge cover on the motor front, and check again!

Oh geeeezz. Ok. I’m crawling back under my rock now. 

i lined up the cover to the wrong holes. 

Apologies for the wasted bits. 

3 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

No problem . these things can happen . A lesson learned ;)

indeed. :wacko:

Anyways, here it is with the motor attached properly ;)

IMG_0198.jpg

• Like 2

Simple things, happens to the best of us sometimes. I remember one time I was assembling some really critical parts for work, a huge faff to put together and the case lids would just not bolt down for love nor money. I tried all the different lengths of bolts we had and I was gearing up to write a nasty email to the firm who made them. Went to get my boss to sign off on it. Within two seconds I had to eat some serious **** cake. M5 bolts into an M6 hole! Back to sweeping floors for me for a couple months :D 

I'm nearly over it 5 years later. Nearly. 

Have fun with the frog @TR808

• Haha 1

No harm done. Easy fixes are the best. At least you didn't damage anything due to the error. Nothing worse than breaking a part mid build.

• Like 1