Sign in to follow this  
Ridge

Best place to order a DN01 Zahhak / TRF201

Thanks to some recent advice on here I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m going to keep my overpowered Dual Ridge and continue to improve/repair it as I go, as has been pointed out with 3S power whatever I get it will break and in that case it makes sense for it to be cheap and easy to fix.

I fancy getting a Zahhak or TRF201 if I can find one as a more sensibly powered fun car. I may pop a spare torque tuned in it but I only have the 3S battery so perhaps it’ll be another cheap but lower powered brushless combo. 

RCJAZ are around £150 delivered to the UK, where else can I look? And if anyone happens to have the maximum battery size for one to hand that would be very useful too!

Are you going to run 3s in the zahhak, then I think you are going to get problems with the ball diff, the plastic diff plates melt, you can get the trf 201 metal outdrives but I think 3s on a ball diff is not going to last long, and the tamiya spur are also weak so you strip them to with that power.

you can put a kyosho gear diff in it with a little mod, and I have a 32pitch spur gear in mine, and a steel idle gear from a serpent spider srx2 that is the same size as the tamiya one,  that wil make the gearbox bomb proof.

asiatees has them in stock    https://www.asiatees.com/display?Tamiya-All-Parts-Hop-Ups-Upgrades&brand=Miscellaneous&model=All&id=84331&pid=1

• Thanks 1

Useful info ta. I can adjust the epa on the transmitter and probably would, the plan isn’t for crazy speed, more something I can have fun with that’s a bit different to the 4wd rocket. I think/hope it’ll be good for driving skill too. 

I got mine from RC jazz pre-lock down. Think it was just over £120 all in. Not sure where else to get them, maybe tamico? 

• Thanks 1

Stick to 2s, i run a castle 4600kv in my dn01 with a 77t spur and i think 25t Or 27t pinion and it flies. I did try 68t pinion and 30t spur and i melted my ball diff on 2s and the reinforced trf 201 gears. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only thing is it would mean me buying a 2S when I already have the 3S sitting there but I do see where you’re coming from. I wonder what something like a hobbywing 1060 and the torque tuned would be like on 3S rather than going brushless. There are of course much lower rated brushless options too, the TT02B has a goolrc 4300kv and 120a esc, think they do a 3900. 

Point taken. Have found a 3100kv and 45a esc in the same range as I have in the TT02B. That and potentially reducing the epa may hopefully work. 

The TRF-201XM 42277 full kit is compatible with ball or gear diff with no modifications - just different Tamiya parts (well it says on the kit info I have seen so assume it is true). It comes with ball but it states it can be changed to gear. Seen the full kits going for about £310.

• Thanks 1

I am run the car with a 5700kv motor in it, with the kyosho gear diff I have run it about 60/70 times without any problem or maintenance.

• Thanks 1

you have to mod the gearbox this is what you  must do,http://site.petitrc.com/setup/tamiya/setuptrf201x/TRF201X_JulienParnot_GearDiffInstall/

you can buy the complete kyosho gear diff, kyosho umw604, If you are going to use the dogbones the you have to buy shorter ones, if you using tamiya universals then they work just fine.

if you want the steel idle gear, serpent part 500344.

I haven’t seen anything TRF for sale anywhere sadly. I’m not sure it’s worth spending that much anyway really to be honest, I don’t think it’ll ever see a track. 

7 hours ago, Manix92 said:

Seen the full kits going for about £310

Interesting. Where?

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Ridge said:

I haven’t seen anything TRF for sale anywhere sadly. I’m not sure it’s worth spending that much anyway really to be honest, I don’t think it’ll ever see a track. 

the gear diff is for reliability nothing to do with track use, and they are like 20 bucks thats not expensive, I use mine only for bashing, with the ball diff I had a lot of problems, and ball diffs have a lot of maintenance.

but I think you be better of buying another car from another brand and put there a high powered combo in it.

That’s kind of the point of getting this, I don’t want silly power for it and I’d like to experience 2wd, my last 2wd buggy was a grasshopper when I was a kid (and yes I do want another!). I’m keeping the TT02B for that, I *think* I’m getting somewhere near making it reliable. More of an engineering exercise than anything else.  

The 4300kv motor in the tt02b is rated at 50k rpm at 12v, the 3100 is 50k rpm at 16v so 37.5krpm at 12v.  If I’m correct in theory the torque tuned would be 27krpm at 12v so I can now understand that the 3100 is still a lot more powerful than I want or need on 3S. I will most likely order the gear mod in the near future but may as well see how long the ball diff lasts  

I have ordered the 3100 and 45a ESC in preperation for a payday car order, I’ll then have to save a little more to get the servo and receiver.  I use a Futaba 3PV so I can easily limit max throttle, receivers are pricey but I am pleased with it. 

Track use comment was aimed at the £320 TRF201 sorry, should have quoted to be clear. 

The ball diffs last fine - it's the plastic diff halves that melt, but they only do that because the DN01 doesn't have a clutch. The clutch can be fitted then stuff will not melt. Or melt so much :)

Get the slipper hop up with it, it's like £25

• Like 1

I’ve just ordered a 201 with upgrade set from there so will let you know what happens. I’ve gone miles over the budget I had in my head but that’s hobbies for you! I’ve probably spent far more on the tt02b with upgrades and I still need tyres for the new wheels, the 201 will need tyres a wing and electronics too. It won’t be a roller any time soon but as long as it turns up I’ll be pleased to have it. 

Have had a refund for what I ordered, no explanation. Back to the drawing board!!

• Like 1

Zanhaak ordered from asiatees, the 201 would have been nice but this is more in keeping with my budget. 

Decided the overpowered TT02B will be for paved roads or anywhere reasonably smooth, that’s getting lowered and some road tyres if I can actually find some. 

The DN01 is going to be for rougher stuff. 

• Like 2

If you have 2.2" buggy wheels on the TT02B, may i suggest Schumacher RT1 in B30 compound? Proper sticky road tyres for buggies. You'll need some foams to go in them too, but they work well on tarmac. 

I’ll look those up thanks. I pretty much used up the kit tyres on one session practicing following a circuit of sorts.  I have a set of hard dish hop up wheels coming which are 2.2”. Stripped the hex out of one of my blue star dish wheels, may have been my fault though

• Like 1