rwordenjr

How quickly a collection can grow🌲

6 hours ago, Problemchild said:

My missus hates me for it 

she will go “and how much was that one”

but all put money goes into 1 pot and all bills etc come out of that - then we both get spending money.

i buy tamiya cars 

she buys.... well she saves it haha

tbh I moved to an electric real car 2 years ago and that saves me £70 a month in fuel plus lockdown means no £6 a day at the work cafe plus costa etc etc 

so it’s working in my favour 

JJ

Thank god im not the only one here whos woman hates it 😁.I also have 3 kids so not easy to have spare cash for myself.

39 minutes ago, Super ally said:

Thank god im not the only one here whos woman hates it 😁.I also have 3 kids so not easy to have spare cash for myself.

Can you get the kids into it? Mine was sceptical but didn't object to the first 2 because i had just left the corporate world so bought a couple to help relax. Our son was 3 1/2 at the time and she saw how much he loved it, which opened the door to more. He would spend 45min driving them in the backyard, and asked to do it each time rather than me push it on him. Then I bought race cars and he wanted to race too, so now he has race cars and the budget is basically unlimited, for racing.

She doesn't like me buying more cars though as she hates stuff. So i sold her on the carbon chassis for the TA07 by telling her it is instead of another car and that worked. Weird.

She also was really impressed with the scratch built yacht, so that helped too, its not just about buying a kit.

Next is getting the boxes framed, I showed her what @Re-Bugged has done and she was well impressed, just waiting on the quotes.

• Like 2

I'm viewed as an additional child, frequently sitting on the living room floor playing with "toys".

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

On 6/22/2020 at 12:48 PM, dannymulder said:

I have the same problem I can't stop buying cars, I started 5 years ago with this hobby, I think I owned around 35 cars, then this year redused them to 7 cars told myself not to buy more cars , but after 3 months it is grown to 14 cars:ph34r: so I can't help myself.

I must stop looking on the web for cars and bargians.

This is me as well.

I can’t help looking which then leads to buying 😳

I managed to reduce right down to around 7 or 8 last year, currently @ 13 but 1 of these is up for sale. 

On 6/22/2020 at 9:41 AM, Mark_C said:

keep counting, you guys are making me feel better :)

I have been trying not to buy more recently, certainly not for the prices that a lot of stuff is on ebay. TL-01s are going for ÂŁ80 or more.

Nothing against the TL-01 but prices only increase from there!

I do have a list of "wants" for parts, mostly body shells but thats at the whim of Tamiya re-releasing them.

The prices being so high has worked in my favour as it stops me buying anything 👍

And I sold some Tamiya last week and actually made again instead of a loss 💥

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

The prices being so high has worked in my favour as it stops me buying anything 👍

And I sold some Tamiya last week and actually made again instead of a loss 💥

Yeah I've been passing on a lot of stuff too, which is a good thing because I don't really need it.

There is still some cheap bits and pieces, but you have to dig for them.

Yes its a good time to sell if you want to offload stuff.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2020 at 3:34 PM, Jonathon Gillham said:

She also was really impressed with the scratch built yacht, so that helped too, its not just about buying a kit.

Next is getting the boxes framed, I showed her what @Re-Bugged has done and she was well impressed, just waiting on the quotes.

Cool 👍🏻

My wife has a new found respect for RC cars since I showed her the photos of @Ferruz feeding Ducks and Chipmunks with them. 
She has a particular fondness for Ducks as she nursed an injured one back to health in her bath while a teacher in Zimbabwe. 

• Like 3

I had the initial ‘rush’ when I got into the hobby and bought as much as I could as quickly as I could. I didn’t appreciate what I bought for long enough before buying the next ‘project’. Costwise, it wasn’t too bad as I (mostly) bought second hand junkers and prices were lower in 2015 but I have never even run the second car I ever bought - and it was no shelf queen!

But I learned and stopped (or at least slowed down) buying cars when I ran out of space. I even sold a couple (but then re-bought a TL-01LA to run but still haven’t).

Regrets? I have a few. But then again, too few to mention. 

The best thing is, my son enjoys them too - building and running. Having him jump the Hornet in the back garden earlier this year was great fun and Mrs BC appreciates the hobby for this reason.

I’m now concentrating on cars I’ll run - in the back garden or the couple of spaces I found in our local lockdown wanderings.

And I have enough projects stored up to keep me amused for years!

• Like 1

My collection has grown to the point of having to build another room for it..:wacko:

My missus is ok with it, so long as it doesnt invade the rest of the house. I have taken to sneaking new models in through the garage when she is busy though..:D

J