ThunderDragonCy

TA06 Gear diff transmission case for TRF201X and DN01 Zahhak

Second prototype of my TA06 gear diff transmission case the rear motor TRF201X and DN01. It uses all the kit parts but replaces the ball diff with the TA06 gear diff. 

Tamiya TRF201X gear diff transmission for rear motor buggies, by CTE RC on Shapeways

I got some spacings wrong on the left hand case due to using the wrong reference plane, but i have another version coming from Shapeways which will hopefully sort it. Even now it is tight, but fits with no modifications which is what i hoped. I'll put it on my CTE RC Shapeways store once i have completely sorted it. No more melty ball diffs! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

As all your conversions, topwork! makes me want a DN01 now even more!:D

The last years, the Zahhak has grown on me and I´m regretting not bying a kit, when Tamico swapped them out for 169€...

Not to speak About the TRF201 sale by Tamiya USA last year...

• Thanks 1

Just seen this on the TRF Facebook group. Well done! I'd certainly have one. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Howards said:

Just seen this on the TRF Facebook group. Well done! I'd certainly have one. 

Thanks. It will be a couple of weks until the final version arrives, but hopefully should be good to go after that. 

Do you have a thread going that gets into the details of this?  I have both kits and am interested in this.  Thanks!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kwkenuf said:

Do you have a thread going that gets into the details of this?  I have both kits and am interested in this.  Thanks!

No, not really. I developed it because the kyosho gear diff in my RR-03RA kept leaking, but there's not really been much to report. Unlike my other transmission conversions dor the mid-motor Tamiya buggies, where they use various parts from other brands and my own design carbon parts, this is simply a like-for-like swap. You buy the transmission cases, and only thing you change is the diff. 

Do you have a convenient list of part numbers for the gear diff that I can just bash in to Tamico or whatever?

• Like 1

TA06 gear diff,  part #54471,  and his cases,  and you are good to go.  At least that is what I am seeing!  Pretty cool if you ask me.

Admittedly,  I haven't even built my kits,  and I wasn't really looking forward to it because of the ball diffs,  especially after hearing about the seemingly fragile dn01.  I rebuilt the ball diff on a Madcap and wasn't a big fan.  I couldn't get it to a point where I liked it,  and sold it to someone who could handle it before I tore it up.

Time to order parts...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kwkenuf said:

TA06 gear diff,  part #54471,  and his cases,  and you are good to go.  At least that is what I am seeing!  Pretty cool if you ask me.

Admittedly,  I haven't even built my kits,  and I wasn't really looking forward to it because of the ball diffs,  especially after hearing about the seemingly fragile dn01.  I rebuilt the ball diff on a Madcap and wasn't a big fan.  I couldn't get it to a point where I liked it,  and sold it to someone who could handle it before I tore it up.

Time to order parts...

Awesome, thanks. 

2 hours ago, Howards said:

Do you have a convenient list of part numbers for the gear diff that I can just bash in to Tamico or whatever?

All parts are listed on the Shapeways product description, but you just need the diff really.

• Like 1

Ordered your gearbox outers last night/this morning, should have gone to bed earlier! 

I find ball diffs such a faff. The kit oil is 900, you suggest at least 3000, could you put thicker oil in? What would be the outcome of say using 100000, which is more like runny honey than oil?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Jontea said:

Ordered your gearbox outers last night/this morning, should have gone to bed earlier! 

I find ball diffs such a faff. The kit oil is 900, you suggest at least 3000, could you put thicker oil in? What would be the outcome of say using 100000, which is more like runny honey than oil?

Thanks. I saw someone had bought one this morning. Thicker gives less diff action, so works better on low grip surfaces where you want both wheels to spin if one loses traction. I use 3000 oil for grass and astro. I have used 10000 for slightly more limited slip effect during the winter when i run on wet grass a lot. Never run anything as thick as 100k in a rear diff, although i regularly use 300k - 2 million in onroad front diffs. 

• Like 1

Cheers, for the reply, just that I've got a bottle of 100000 oil, will get some thinner, 3000 as you recommend, for when the parts arrive.

And cheers for designing and putting into production the gearbox.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had an email from Shapeways today, it seems they were a bit off with their initial production date, on ordering they quoted production date as 6th August, then 2-3 days delivery. Today's email was to inform me that my order is on it's way!

Looking forward to receiving the gearbox outers, just need the drill bit and diff to arrive, then we're good to go.

Will let you know when it's all built up, with a couple of pics of course.

Just so I've got it square in my head when parts arrive.

1. 3.1mm drill the holes for motor plate bolts

2. Use the gear diff and outdrives from the TA06 kit (54471)

3. Use the bearings and other gears out of my existing DN01 gearbox

If that's it, seems pretty straightforward.

Jon

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jontea said:

Just so I've got it square in my head when parts arrive.

1. 3.1mm drill the holes for motor plate bolts

2. Use the gear diff and outdrives from the TA06 kit (54471)

3. Use the bearings and other gears out of my existing DN01 gearbox

If that's it, seems pretty straightforward.

Jon

That's it. You need an M3 thread tap for the vertical holes on the rear side for the two screws at the base which attach to the chassis, and on the top which attaches the motor guard. The only hole i didn't tap was the small one at the front for the 2.6mm screw. I just cleaned out the left case hole with a 2.5mm drill then self tapped the screw into right hand gearcase on assembly. Don't forget to shim the diff to make sure there isn't lots of side to side movement when it's all together. That's a bit trial and error. 

• Thanks 1

All went together very nicely. Virtually no play in the diff. Gonna give it a run tomorrow.

Thanks so much for developing this conversion.

IMG_20200814_182554.jpg

IMG_20200814_190239.jpg

• Like 3

Finally made the decision to get this setup.  Ordered a couple of days ago and have the gear set on the way.  It will be several months before I build the kit, but now I will have everything ready!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kwkenuf said:

Finally made the decision to get this setup.  Ordered a couple of days ago and have the gear set on the way.  It will be several months before I build the kit, but now I will have everything ready!

Thanks very much. Hope you like it.

Always happy to support things that are mutually beneficial!

The gearset just came in the mail today!

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 10:10 AM, ruebiracer said:

As all your conversions, topwork! makes me want a DN01 now even more!:D

The last years, the Zahhak has grown on me and I´m regretting not bying a kit, when Tamico swapped them out for 169€...

Not to speak About the TRF201 sale by Tamiya USA last year...

Same, and after seeing this I want one even more

• Like 1
  • Haha 1