Sign in to follow this  
DeadMeat666

Sloppy steering issue on TT02B

I know this is probably a well-worn topic, but I couldn't find too much info on quick fixes for this sort of thing.

The screws that hold the steering levers down on the chassis of the TT02/TT02B are a known weak spot, and probably due to putting brushless power through it, in combination with monster wheels, it seems that one of those screws has stripped and I am no longer able to tighten in without getting a good amount of wobble on that side. 

I've attached a pic of my steering setup; I already have an upgraded steering assembly from yeah racing that has flanges instead of the even crappier self-tapping step screw that comes stock. 

Any way I can get it to hold in there without working itself loose every 15 minutes or so?

(Note: the plastic steering arms are on their way out, to be replaced by turnbuckles, but no use doing that until I fix this problem first)

IMG_20200622_154544~2.jpg

• Like 2

If you flip the chassis over, you'll see there are hex-shaped apertures in the chassis moulding underneath the steering pivot screw holes. Pop some M3 nyloc nuts in there and use longer screws on your steering pivots so that they engage the nuts. That'll keep everything together.

• Thanks 2

Huh... would you look at that.

It really makes you wonder why Tamiya didn't take this approach to securing the steering levers to begin with. It certainly seemed like this is what they'd originally planned... very strange.

Hadn’t spotted those either!  I’m running brushless too with 3S, gradually sorting the weak points. Looks like a sensible place to do some preventative maintenance. What servo horn and arm is that?

1 hour ago, Ridge said:

Hadn’t spotted those either!  I’m running brushless too with 3S, gradually sorting the weak points. Looks like a sensible place to do some preventative maintenance. What servo horn and arm is that?

That's a GPM racing 25T aluminum horn (silver), and the steering assembly is a Yeah Racing aluminum set. Don't forget to add a turnbuckle arm to eliminate the plastic piece that connects the servo horn with the steering bridge. I'm not entirely sold on the servo horn, since it's quite flush with the servo and is causing a bit of an angle with the steering arm, so perhaps you should look for a servo arm with some offset to compensate. Just my 2 cents.

I’ve spaced my servo forward a bit as I had the same issue with the servo saver that I chose. I have also used an m3 bolt to connect the servo horn to the arm, it was working loose same as everything else, didn’t want it coming apart and turning the car into a 3S powered projectile? Think I have the FPS steering set but can’t remember now!!