Sign in to follow this  
Wetman

Paint question

Has anyone ever thinned auto paint to airbrush? If so what ratio did you have to use? I tried a bit yesterday from a touch up brush kit and thinned to 1:1 but still too thick for a 0.5mm airbrush. Is it possible to go more thinners than paint IE 1 paint 2 thinners or would that not work?

If it's for a hard body then I'd say yes you can thin as much as you need to, it just means you'll need to do light coats or you'll get runs in the paint. Also you'll need several coats, and be sure to use primer. 

Just look at Alclad II metallic paints for static plastic models in the glass jars - when you let them settle, they are about 95% or more thinner and the rest is paint. And you need to do several very light coats but the finish is always good. 

For polycarbonate, I'd say probably not. Car paint almost certainly isn't flexible enough, and getting it to stick when it is so thin might be a problem. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, rich_f said:

If it's for a hard body then I'd say yes you can thin as much as you need to, it just means you'll need to do light coats or you'll get runs in the paint. Also you'll need several coats, and be sure to use primer. 

Just look at Alclad II metallic paints for static plastic models in the glass jars - when you let them settle, they are about 95% or more thinner and the rest is paint. And you need to do several very light coats but the finish is always good. 

For polycarbonate, I'd say probably not. Car paint almost certainly isn't flexible enough, and getting it to stick when it is so thin might be a problem. 

its for hard bodies and plasticard so that sounds ok. Polycarb I`ll just use PC rattle tins as you can`t really rub runs out and my airbrushing isnt that good as I`m only just learning how