Mousseyboy

Boomerang restoration.

Another newbie who has found his old car in lockdown and has a few questions. (Sorry).

I pulled my old Boomerang out of the loft for the kids to play with. 

IMG_20200428_144355.thumb.jpg.f24645051acc9de9e84a388e2a4e8929.jpg

Had thoughts if rebuilding but at the time didn't see the need. We all played with it and then it got ran into a rather tough shrub and a rear top suspension arm broke. IMG_20200504_130828.thumb.jpg.95bcb2eb317c5329da977bc10166dfc6.jpg

This meant I should do a few bits. A more detailed look around and it was noticed the other 3 rear arms cracked at the inner pivot. Front uppers were cracked at the other upright end. IMG_20200504_132711_resized_20200622_085307525.thumb.jpg.c98774bfba172e4f70d7bd5c9debebb7.jpg

Front gearbox was cracked, as was the rear. IMG_20200504_143715_resized_20200622_085307684.thumb.jpg.25086b8b56ce879db3cadffe28019401.jpg

I decided on a rebuild and had a bit of a vision in my head. New suspension arms and gearbox casings purchased. I had no real aims to run the car, I have other RC cars for that but wanted it to work and look good. 

I had a winger body (as well as the original) and rear wing but trying to remove the old paint damaged them irreparably. 

Not wanting to damage the original boomerang body I bought a new one from Penguin. 

Body painted and Some custom decals from MCI ordered. Wheels and shocks from eBay and are more form than function. 

Painted. 

IMG_20200527_162707_resized_20200622_091348072.jpg.39ba04fd8c23c1960fcd26bf84171663.jpg

IMG_20200527_162725_resized_20200622_091347430.thumb.jpg.be4ab40fef434d2ac4f35d382f6b601e.jpg

And finished with decals. IMG_20200528_134728_resized_20200622_091348406.jpg.1947ce1ab301c137d33bb0db91468b0d.jpg

IMG_20200528_134734_resized_20200622_091347066.jpg.c4b9b9f085dd72cef35189a573eaf96f.jpg

IMG_20200528_134812_resized_20200622_091348242.jpg.330497dca8436296e160a6cab700fa8a.jpg

I even painted a driver, Well 2!

1st was 'Chip Champ and his purple helmet of joy' 

IMG_20200510_161234_resized_20200622_093832689.thumb.jpg.830d5149c43d511e384f0477f8b90fd4.jpg

2nd version is 'Boomer' having changed the colour of the car thought painting his helmet in traditional Boomerang colourswould be a nod to my original car. 

IMG_20200528_170636_resized_20200622_091347935.thumb.jpg.b50737908b6a7bb0bd5d70779dc27b52.jpg

So that's the car finished......but it's not! 

• Like 8

Do you have the Winger body to go with the wing? 

nice job

Good to see this Boomerang coming back to a very smart new lease on life, love the colour scheme ;)

• Like 1

Now , if you replaced the G-Parts , DID you use Vintage Gbox parts ? Or did you get the re re G-Parts ?? 

As the vintage has C-Clips to hold the Gbox drive cups AND Thre rere Has E-Clip to hold the Gbox drive cups .

The rere G-Parts had relief where the 1150 bearings go , to allow for the E-Clip , The Vintage didn't need this .

4 hours ago, matman said:

Now , if you replaced the G-Parts , DID you use Vintage Gbox parts ? Or did you get the re re G-Parts ?? 

As the vintage has C-Clips to hold the Gbox drive cups AND Thre rere Has E-Clip to hold the Gbox drive cups .

The rere G-Parts had relief where the 1150 bearings go , to allow for the E-Clip , The Vintage didn't need this .

No I didn't. I used the original inners with new re-re gearbox housing.

I have the following issue with the car that may be related to the above? 

When running the car moving from reverse to forward the 'box slips creating a clicking sound like cogs slipping off each other. 

I stripped and nothing obvious. Rebuilt and the same. 

I then thought maybe the cups a had changed sides and were better meshed the other way. Swapped and still the same. 

So last week I swapped the c-clips for e-clips after I remembered reading something on here. 

Rebuilt and still the same. So what do I need to do to stop this and why does it do it? I'm at a but if a loss and it's frustrating me. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

8 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

Do you have the Winger body to go with the wing? 

nice job

No, the wing and body got damaged when I tried to strip the paint off so they were binned. 

1 hour ago, Mousseyboy said:

No I didn't. I used the original inners with new re-re gearbox housing.

I have the following issue with the car that may be related to the above? 

When running the car moving from reverse to forward the 'box slips creating a clicking sound like cogs slipping off each other. 

I stripped and nothing obvious. Rebuilt and the same. 

I then thought maybe the cups a had changed sides and were better meshed the other way. Swapped and still the same. 

So last week I swapped the c-clips for e-clips after I remembered reading something on here. 

Rebuilt and still the same. So what do I need to do to stop this and why does it do it? I'm at a but if a loss and it's frustrating me. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Well you need to put E-Clips in front and rear Gbox's . Put in motor in rear and run the rear only and see if it clicks .

Hold prop shalft or sort ( to put load on ) and see if it clicks , if not , it's the front :D .  If it does it's the rear . 

You may have grain of sand in cog or pinion , of prop shalft  rubbing ? On some thing , wheels rubbing on some thing ?

Also spin rear wheel , with hand both ways , see if it clicks , do rear and front wheels . You may have damaged some thing

when you didn't put the E-clips in the 1st time ? . 

Great looking colour scheme. B)

Shame about the old bodies though... :(

1 hour ago, Falcon#5 said:

Great looking colour scheme. B)

Shame about the old bodies though... :(

It was only the Winger body and wing that was damaged. The Original Boomerang body is ok but no wing for it. 

On 6/23/2020 at 10:46 AM, matman said:

Well you need to put E-Clips in front and rear Gbox's . Put in motor in rear and run the rear only and see if it clicks .

Hold prop shalft or sort ( to put load on ) and see if it clicks , if not , it's the front :D .  If it does it's the rear . 

You may have grain of sand in cog or pinion , of prop shalft  rubbing ? On some thing , wheels rubbing on some thing ?

Also spin rear wheel , with hand both ways , see if it clicks , do rear and front wheels . You may have damaged some thing

when you didn't put the E-clips in the 1st time ? . 

I haven't e-clipped the front yet but I've worked out it is slipping from the rear gearbox. Holding the drive cups and spinning it will slip/grate/miss if done quickly. Looking at all cogs there doesn't seem to be any damage and it was stored well during disassembly. I don't want to replace all gears just for the issue to be there at the end spending money that will be unnecessary. 

The wheels don't rub on anything. It is so frustrating! 

Like I say it's more and asthetics project but I want it to run if wanted. Any other ideas from anyone?

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. ☹️

May need Pic's of inside Gbox . All bearing / thrustwasher in ? . Do you have Ball bearing's in ? Or plastic bearing's ?.

As plastic bearing had a washer i think from memory , B4 you put C-Clip / E-Clip .as with thrust bearing , had plastic and

two washers either side of the plastic bering/spacer < depends on what you call it . 

I'm not home at the moment ( Australia ) i have had to head to New Zealand sadly .  So i can't look at manuals etc . 

I'll take some pics of the inside.

It has ball-bearings in, there is no thrust bearing on the output to the drive shaft just another bearing. But it was like this when I first disassembled and it worked fine without the clicking/slipping noise. 

Thank you for your help. 

The 4wd output shalft has the thrust bearing as does the front Gbox .  In between the prop shalft  . They did come with 

plastic bush with washer on each side . Or owner can  upgrade it to metal thrust bearing .  

• Like 1

So a bearing is ok for it? Did forget to say that I put O rings in the cups to take any slack out. Still no difference. 

Thrust bearing's are different . Gbox you put 1150 in and on the out side you can put 850 bearing in , b4 the 

out drive and E-Clip .  That helps , but not needed . O ring will slow things and bind it up and should not be needed at all .