Sign in to follow this  
davidwj95

Finally happy with hilift hilux

I bought my hilift in 2007 when they were fairly new and there weren't many crawlers on the market.  I was quite excited when they came out as I'd owned a couple of Land Rovers and wanted an RC with 4x4 and live axles.

It was an enjoyable build but I remember being disappointed when it was finished.  It looked wrong with the small wheels and low hanging parts.  It wasnt as much fun to drive as I'd hoped either as it got hung up on the smallest obstacles.

Fortunately my favourite thing about this hobby is tinkering and this model has been the most satisfying to improve.  I keep doing bits to it then putting it back on the shelf, I don't think it will ever be finished but I'm really happy with the looks and performance now. I drive it with rear axle locked and front unlocked.

Things I've done to it:

Lifted transmission and motor moved to front.

Direct steering with chassis mounted servo

Battery moved to under load bed

6mm Steel steering rods

Steel bumpers front and rear

1.55 steel rc4wd wheels

35t motor

Body resprayed twice 

Led lights

Clear windows 

Going forward I might look at adding a bruiser interior and a few other scale details.

Anyone else found this model a bit disappointing out of the box but the most satisfying to modify?

20200619_121036.jpg

• Like 6

I agree with you that something looks a bit off with the way the hilift looked. Yours looks awesome. Nice work.

• Thanks 1

Wow. That's day and night! Shows how carefully selected mods can really make a difference!