RETRO R/C

FUGLIEST cars ever - YOUR FINAL 10 PLEASE!

Remember guys - keep it car specific...we dont want ugly grasshoppers etc....[:D]

Cheers

Darryn

Sorry, couldn't resist. A while back someone was actually selling it on ebay, so i just had to save the pic. unbelievably someone bought it for over $50. Goes to show, you can sell anything on ebay.

Or get any amount of money for it!

I've seen Conrads go for less than $20!

Hmmmm..... at a quick count I find that I have owned and/or still own at least 26 of these "ugly" cars.

I think I need help!

And no.... I'm not going to sell my Cox Bandido.

Wow, some great ugly classics are posted here, from Tamiya here is my top 5, from other makes there are too many to list and for me to remember now...

1. Striker (somehow I like the Sonic Fighter a bit though [:I])

2. Manta Ray (why did they re-release it)

3. Thunder Dragon (Thunder Shot and Fire Dragon I find a bit cool [:I])

4. Bull Head

5. Bush Devil, Stadium Blitzer or Falcon, can't decide... [:I]

I also don't like the Quattro, Ascona and Lancia 037 on the original chassis and the Wild One much, preffer a de-militarized FAV 10 times, but don't misunderstand me, these cars arent on my ulgy top, just I don't like them much.

Cheers

WOW - looks like the Striker is really copping a pizzling!!

Theo - could you please post a pic of you Saint Dragon - I reckon thats pretty Fugly - and not many people even know it is a tamiya!

I will tally the progressive votes up at the end of the weekend, then let it run for another week or so to get a better idea. Then I will go to my editor and see what he thinks!![:P]

I will need pics of some of the cars if the article is to go ahead - so dont forget if you have one of these "FUGLIES", make sure to post it here.[8D]

Cheers

Darryn

quote:Originally posted by OCD

In no particular order:

Stadium wheels? What stadium were these run in?

All of these models look ridiculous to me--

and it's pretty hard to make that Beetle shell look bad!

I understand that these were designed with stability in

mind, but they're just so darn silly looking.

id="quote">id="quote">

I hear you OCD.

The 'Truggy' style, aka stadium trucks, are now so ubiquitous (read: dull to old-school enthusiasts) that even the chinese are ripping off the style for their budget R/C vehicles.

I remember picking up a copy of R/C Car Action magazine around 1993 and seeing where the RC hobby had ended up - thin, fluorescent lexan truck bodies on low chassis with big wheels - and being so bored that I couldn't even bring myself to read the magazine. I have never bought that magazine since.

80s buggies and trucks may have been ugly in some cases, but at least they had great VARIETY! Stadium trucks and modern buggies have barely (or rarely) changed in terms of appearance in the past decade.

Naturally of course though, because once the racing fraternity came to a natural conclusion for the speediest buggy and truck shapes, almost all aspects of detailed modelling and design had been omitted.

If only I could nominate every stadium truck ever made for the Fugliness award...

(Please excuse my moaning, this thread has given me an excuse to both complain and defend, all in one. [8D])

quote:Originally posted by OCD

Was that magazine RCCA circa 1985? This is how I remeber the Digger-

A multipage write-up on the qualities of chassis flex as a form of

suspension. Pretty much speaks for the entire Bolink line. It

always amazed me how a company could steadily bring crappy models

to the market- FOR YEARS! (If you haven't noticed, Bolink is now

nothing more than a small eBay Store- called Bolink Close-outs or something.)

id="quote">id="quote">

[:P] Pretty sure my magazine was actually the Australian one called Dirt n' Track, and the Bolink Digger review was from somewhere between 1993 and 1995 I think. But yeah, as was the policy in those days, Tamiya was shunned for being popular, whilst inferior junk from 'cool' american brands was promoted with monotonous regularity. Meanwhile, Dirt n' Track would put Bolink cars in 'centrefold spreads' would you believe, whilst the letters to the Editor were a neverending stream of questions by regular kids who simply owned Tamiyas and Nikkos.[8D] Talk about ignoring your audience...

Amazing news about the company though...

cheers,

H.

Okay, this one is really bad. I think this one was the buggy you got beat-up for taking it to the LHS track. Look at the front suspension. This one must have sent small children running home screaming [:(] in agony when the one or two owners that actually bought this took it out for a ride. I hope there are no members of this club that own this and paid more than a dollar or pound for it.[B)] LOL

Tornado

Something worth only a dollar to someone else could be worth thousands to another! [:D]

It takes all types!

Cheers

Darryn

quote:Originally posted by RETRO R/C

Something worth only a dollar to someone else could be worth thousands to another! [:D]

It takes all types!

Cheers

Darryn

id="quote">id="quote">

Darryn,

I think your referring to that old saying... One man's trash, is another man's treasure. But in this case, I think this is the treasure that sank the ship.[;)]

Cheers,

Bob

Superb post from Hibenaculum as always! [^] How boring and ugly are most current cars, monster or stadium trucks with bodies as if they are made by heating a coke bottle (no realism and brand identification) and endless tourers with supposed Dodge Status and Japanese street tuners bodies optimized for aerodynamics which look as from cars from advertisments which are remodelled to hide the brand.

Also isn't it fun how some magazines create a hype about some brands which actually have no values behind? Its the same as some uS static kit magazines which applause their Revel and Monogram kits above Tamiya statics [8)]

Cheers

Theo - post you pics of the Saint dragon!! I wont ask again !![;)][;)][;)]

Thanks mate - I really want to get this in the magazine - I think it will make for some great reading...The more people voting and posting pics the better........preferably all in one post though!

Cheers

Darryn

Theo - could you please post a pic of you Saint Dragon - I reckon thats pretty Fugly - and not many people even know it is a tamiya!

id="quote">id="quote">

Ok you asked for it, hope no kids watch this, here it is in its full "beauty", although must say your luminous seems like an even uglier copy of it! LOL

img16_17122002083341_1.jpg

Cheers

quote:Originally posted by DJTheo

Superb post from Hibenaculum as always! [^] How boring and ugly are most current cars, monster or stadium trucks with bodies as if they are made by heating a coke bottle (no realism and brand identification) and endless tourers with supposed Dodge Status and Japanese street tuners bodies optimized for aerodynamics which look as from cars from advertisments which are remodelled to hide the brand.

Also isn't it fun how some magazines create a hype about some brands which actually have no values behind? Its the same as some uS static kit magazines which applause their Revel and Monogram kits above Tamiya statics [8)]

Cheers

id="quote">id="quote">

DJTheo, I agree 100%. Most R/C vehicles today are being made to look like some grade school students project. I'll admit Tamiya's first cars weren't the best handling, but they had extreme realistic detail that compensated for any loss in performance. I still enjoy a good run with my XR311 most days over my high performance modern day coke bottles.

As for the statics... I have not been into the static scene for many years now, but I remember here in the u.S. years ago, it was always Perdominantly Tamiya kits that took 1st place in the model shows. Especially when it came to the Military kit contests. Nobody can beat Tamiya's realism.

quote:Originally posted by DJTheo

id="quote">id="quote">

Ok you asked for it, hope no kids watch this, here it is in its full "beauty", although must say your luminous seems like an even uglier copy of it! LOL

Cheers

id="quote">id="quote">

Lol - you are right theo - they do look similar. If the Saint dragon gets in - the picture of it will be the second time one of your cars have been in the magazine![8D]

This is what we need - more pics of you most fugly models!

Thanks Theo

Darryn

I must say I actually like the Saint Dragon!(I cant fined my pills today!) but the most fugly car for me would be Kyosho's Sandmaster mk2! Pink wheels? EEEERRHHH! (Barbie Gone Mad!) I also dont like Kyosho's Pajero Evolution Gas Car (Looks like A Ford Focus gone wrong!)

Has anyone mentioned the Bush Devil yet?

Detailless body, pink wheels and kindergarten designed decals? Gets my vote.

quote:Originally posted by Scorcher Champ

Okay! I finally figured out how to post a pic. I spent a good portion of time breezing through some of my vintage car mags and came up with whats got to be the ugliest car ever made. Tyco's worst car beats this hunk of junk. This car is an insult to the R/C Hobby. up until now you guys have posted some **** ugly cars, but this one could scare a brick wall.

coxbandido

id="quote">id="quote">

That monstrosity wins hands down!!! [:(][:0]

I also feel that Kyosho made the Optima Mid, one of the best looking buggies, into one of the worst by simply extending the wheel base and changing the bodyshell. Yuk!

The Striker and Sonic Fighter are pretty horrific too though! [:P]

quote:Originally posted by netsmithUK

Has anyone mentioned the Bush Devil yet?

Detailless body, pink wheels and kindergarten designed decals? Gets my vote.

id="quote">id="quote">

Just check my vote in the previous page. Great minds think alike [;)][:P] LOL

Cheers

i like the look of the saint dragon and the bullhead was a work of art both nice cars just that darned ugly wild one gets me and the bush devil and supershot were also very fugly nice gold rims on the supershot are its only good point

pete

Wandy & Wireless, thanks for agreeing with me. I searched through dozens of vintage mags yesterday to find the ugliest cars and the Bandido just made me sick! [:0]