Sign in to follow this  
jellon

Which Re-release to buy next? Advice please

So I've finished building the lunch box and am predictably thinking about the next build.

I'm after an off road classic that can handle long grass etc. But I'd like something a bit more precise than the lunch box. I'm looking to spend 150-200 on the kit.

Monster beetle seems an obvious choice, but I really like the Subaru brat too.

What would people with a bit more experience suggest?

I love my Blitzer Beetle, fast and fun and I'd say worth a build, but as it is also my first I can't compare it to anything else. I'm also onto my next as I ordered a lunchbox last night ;) 

• Like 2

The g6-01 6x6 chassis

Konghead

king yellow

A60h hauler

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was about to order a Brat from Tower, but now they are out till early July.  Slim pickings right now

• Sad 1

My holiday buggy goes thru grass great....my brat did good too...

• Like 2

This is bad thread to follow, so many temptations :D 

I really fancy a Brat, Holiday Buggy, Monster Beetle, not so sold on the 6x6 stuff though.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pinoy808 said:

I was about to order a Brat from Tower, but now they are out till early July.  Slim pickings right now

The bigwig is still available last time I checked.  It's AWD and should do ok in grass.  If you're going to do the frog chassis, I'd stick with the MB or Blackfoot personally.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, A-Baum said:

The bigwig is still available last time I checked.  It's AWD and should do ok in grass.  If you're going to do the frog chassis, I'd stick with the MB or Blackfoot personally.  

Yep...still available...I don't own one but...you would think any cc-01 would do good in the grass.

• Like 2

Clod buster, I had wanted one since I saw one in the 1990 Tamiya Catalog.  I just bought one, they are a super fun build, a great runner, and classic Tamiya throught and through.  Oh and with 30 years of production, super easy to find spares and uild as you see fit.

• Like 2

The clod is very tempting. I love the look of the 6x6 models but not sure I would use them much.

The blitzer beetle is on my list - but I keep leaning towards the monster trucks. The Blackfoot is the same chassis as the MB isn't it?

Does anyone use a Brat regularly? Is it a good off roader? I realise it is 2wd.

2 hours ago, A-Baum said:

The bigwig is a really nice looking buggy - and nice to have 4WD. 

17 minutes ago, jellon said:

The clod is very tempting. I love the look of the 6x6 models but not sure I would use them much.

The blitzer beetle is on my list - but I keep leaning towards the monster trucks. The Blackfoot is the same chassis as the MB isn't it?

Yes..I have...13.5 brushless all day long..spins the tires alot...if I had some hornet rear tires...it would be better.....now I broke the body and I'm thinking I need to retire it....lol

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, skinned said:

My holiday buggy goes thru grass great....my brat did good too...

I really like the holiday buggy - and assume there are some mods for it.

I've realised I only like the scale real cars - but on an off-road chassis. I just can't get as excited about the standard buggies - even though I know they are really good.

Holiday buggy seems a fun option with a nice vintage look.

1 hour ago, jellon said:

Keep in mind the Brat is a Frog with a different body and posts, so it has really bad suspension (especially front) where as the Blackfoot and Monster Beetle share the same chassis as both the frog/brat but have improved suspension with individual oil filled shocks and larger monster truck tires that will handle your grass better.  The Frog/Brat have that internal spring shock in the front arms which is kinda crappy and the rear shocks aren't very good either.  The Blackfoot/MB shocks aren't perfect, but they are a vast improvement.  The brat for some reason is also the same price as the Blackfoot/MB so I think the best way to go is the Blackfoot/MB.  The ONLY benefit of the brat is it comes with 2 bodies, one hard plastic and one lexan.  If you love the look, then buy a Blackfoot/MB and buy a Brat body.  I *think* both come with body posts that will fit a brat if I'm not mistaken.  Brat bodies are pretty cheap, at least the lexan ones. There's one for $27 USD on ebay at the moment with decals and everything.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A-Baum said:

Keep in mind the Brat is a Frog with a different body and posts, so it has really bad suspension (especially front) where as the Blackfoot and Monster Beetle share the same chassis as both the frog/brat but have improved suspension with individual oil filled shocks and larger monster truck tires that will handle your grass better.  The Frog/Brat have that internal spring shock in the front arms which is kinda crappy and the rear shocks aren't very good either.  The Blackfoot/MB shocks aren't perfect, but they are a vast improvement.  The brat for some reason is also the same price as the Blackfoot/MB so I think the best way to go is the Blackfoot/MB.  The ONLY benefit of the brat is it comes with 2 bodies, one hard plastic and one lexan.  If you love the look, then buy a Blackfoot/MB and buy a Brat body.  I *think* both come with body posts that will fit a brat if I'm not mistaken.  Brat bodies are pretty cheap, at least the lexan ones. There's one for $27 USD on ebay at the moment with decals and everything.  

Thank you - I think you might have sold me on the monster beetle there. I'd thought about painting it with sand scorcher decals, as I prefer the design. Has anyone here had a go at that, the shell doesn't seem too different from the comparisons. 

10 minutes ago, jellon said:

Thank you - I think you might have sold me on the monster beetle there. I'd thought about painting it with sand scorcher decals, as I prefer the design. Has anyone here had a go at that, the shell doesn't seem too different from the comparisons. 

I think the shell is very similar if not the same so you could easily make it look like a monster sand scorcher.  Looking forward to your build. 

• Thanks 1

The Brat and monster beetle are some of my favourite  runners.  I run the brat more because the gearbox holds up better with the smaller wheels.  It handles loads better than my lunchbox but it's still a very 'vintage' driving experience.  It's quick enough, has a really tight turning circle and is very quiet. 

The beetle is a bit more fun to drive but a bit slower in standard form. Mine is 30yrs old with MSC and clicky gearbox hence the brat getting more use.

I drive both on the garden grass but I keep it cut as short as I can.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone - I think I'm sold on the monster beetle - and I'll have a go at getting as close to the sand scorcher Baja bug design as I can. Hopefully the little differences (door handles etc.) Won't notice too much.

Make your own re-re. I just finished up with my own re-re-re Wild Willy on the 4x4 GF01 chassis, and absolutely love the thing. I would assume you can retrofit any body on it you want to. 

06262020a.jpg

8 hours ago, Tudorp said:

Make your own re-re. I just finished up with my own re-re-re Wild Willy on the 4x4 GF01 chassis, and absolutely love the thing. I would assume you can retrofit any body on it you want to. 

06262020a.jpg

Very nice - seems like a good little chassis that. Is that a sand scorcher next to it?

If you're getting a monster beetle be sure to check out the thread in general discussions relating to the gearbox brace to prevent the diff separating under load (as they appear to do  - I don't have an MB/frog/brat but apparently this is a fault common to all ORV chassis vehicles).

* I'm in no way connected to this project but it seems like a relatively cheap and easy fix for the gearbox, as attested to by people who have bought and installed the brace 🙂

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, jellon said:

Very nice - seems like a good little chassis that. Is that a sand scorcher next to it?

Yes, that is a Sand Scorcher. I built it as a tribute to the original Wild Willy. I call it "Scorchng Willy". the 2nd picture is it with Brat wheels and tires.

02222020h.jpg

02242020b.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 9:01 PM, Silver-Can said:

If you're getting a monster beetle be sure to check out the thread in general discussions relating to the gearbox brace to prevent the diff separating under load (as they appear to do  - I don't have an MB/frog/brat but apparently this is a fault common to all ORV chassis vehicles).

* I'm in no way connected to this project but it seems like a relatively cheap and easy fix for the gearbox, as attested to by people who have bought and installed the brace 🙂

Thanks - yes I've been looking at this. Not planning on upgrading the motor - but it still seems to be an issue. Is anyone making these braces at the moment?

Yes I believe there are links in that thread. I know they were on ebay a couple of days ago. There was also talk of pm'ing the chap that was designing/producing them too. Good luck 👍