Chad1376

Redcat Gen8 Crawler Build

I'm tackling my first crawler.  I'm starting with a Redcat Gen8 chassis and a Jeep Comanche hard body.  Here's where I'm at so far.  I had to do a lot of trimming to the chassis and clear holes in the bed to get the body to sit down on the frame.  I have a lot of detail and finish work ahead.

i-8s5mjNb-XL.jpg

Also, I'm going to attempt fabrication of an interior with styrene and some detail parts.  Finding a driver that's not a ripped muscle-man was tough.  That's Ralphy from Christmas Story.  Luis from Ghost Busters is on the way.  They might be a little small, but I think they'll look OK once in the truck.

i-Ngr5L2f-XL.jpg

I've been reviewing all sorts of weathering techniques.  I want this to look like a rusty beater when it's done.

• Like 2

I like it alot,

crawlers and trail trucks are the funnest to build.

nice choices of steering wheels.

Learning how to fabricate pieces with styrene.  It's a learning curve, but a lot of fun.  So far I have a center console over the battery and a dash board.  I'll need a false floor over the chassis floorboards to get the seats up higher.  That'll be OK, since it'll give me lots of room for electronics.  Shocks upgraded too.

i-cQsR9r9-L.jpg

i-58RwntR-L.jpg

Also, I bought a cheapo micro-servo.  I'm going to try to have a working steering wheel tied to the steering input and modify Ralphie so his arms move.

Some more progress.

Added a servo for the steering wheel, used some glass for lighted gauges on the dash and added elevated floorboards.

i-XjKDzm9-L.jpg

i-zhPjbtW-L.jpg

Desert Lizards are supreme shocks, more so than people realize, good choice.

YEAH!

16 hours ago, ACCEL said:

Desert Lizards are supreme shocks, more so than people realize, good choice.

YEAH!

Right now, they have soft springs and no oil.  I want to get the car built, with all the added weight, before I juggle springs and fill them up.

Is that TIN TiN or perhaps Peter Billingsley? and

Jeff Goldblum and or Jerry Seinfeld?

Dash is really really sharp looking!

Outstanding job you did there 1376 you.

Looks amazing.  I'd been looking at buying a crawler kit and that body was on my short list.