Sign in to follow this  
Hobgoblin

Tamiya paint remover

Hello hive mind!

Quick question for you all. I'm trying to strip about 5 layers of paint off of an ABS shell, graffiti remover (not desolv-it) didn't really do much in the nooks and crannies and I don't particularly want to get brake fluid as for a few pounds more I can get a Tamiya branded product which should be completely designed for the job - it's "only" 250ml but that should be plenty. Money being no object, is it worth getting?  I'm referring to 87183 fyi. 

Cheers,

Harry

I'd say, go for it and see what happens.  

Brake fluid for me was an absolute nause.  It took forever and did very little.  Desolvit graffiti remover works wonders on hard shells, and I'm lightly using it on a polycarbonate  shell, although I'm nervous about it clouding.  I'm also experimenting with Rustins surface cleaner which seems to attack certain paints without damaging the shell.  So far it seems to work on silver and black paint, assuming these were paints for polycarbonate and brushed on.  It hasn't touched sprayed on orange paint or, what looks like white enamel.  Although it did remove dusting/over spray of the same paint without damaging the shell.

I've also used caustic soda for removing paint from some small items.  Once again, it did depend on the paint used and/or how it was applied.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes I've used desolvit before and it's good. Seemingly difficult to track down now, can't find the liquid only a small spray version. 

Trying to avoid brake fluid if I can because it seems you have to leave it to soak for a while and I don't have anywhere to keep a tub of smelly chemicals, well no where I can keep it and not have the missus leave me :lol:

I have such a hotch potch of paint on the shell too, which probably doesn't help things! 

Brake fluid is not odorous.  It does have soak for some time and takes a good amount of scrubbing with a toothbrush.  The upside is that the risk of damage to the hardbody is negligible. 

• Like 1

+1 on DeSolvit for ABS @Fruitfly01

Can be tricky to find these days - and needs agitating for tight areas - but by far the best 👍

Not a fan of it on lexan / pc though - it still works but is a devil to time w/o risking a clouded finish ... and I’ve even come unstuck leaving it for the time it says on the can 🙄

These days prefer TamIya own brand remover for those + never had a problem - esp if loosened with thinners beforehand 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

Brake fluid

Are you saying that Tamiya paint remover is brake fluid or that one should use brake fluid instead of Tamiya paint remover?

I’ve tried a few different substances and I’ve found it really depends on the paint that has been applied that matters most.

De-solv it Graffiti remover from B&Q and Graffiti Go from Tool Station have both worked for me, but with varying degrees of success, because you don’t know what paint type you are removing if it’s something you’ve got off eBay.

I tried to get a spray of de-solv-it from B&Q, local store have a space and sticker on the shelf, their website says their stores don't stock it. I ordered for click & collect, it got refunded in a day or two as they were not able to supply.

You could try isopropyl alcohol (make sure its 99%). I've used this just recently by applying with a brush and then covering (e.g. in a plastic bag) so it doesn't evaporate. leave it say 45 minutes and then use an old toothbrush to agitate and then re-apply if needed, repeat again if needed. I've not had any issues with it softening plastic but I might be a bit hesitant about submerging it without further research.

I did try some "no nonsense paint remover" from screwfix, while that was ok on polycarbonate it did make plastic go a bit gooey, so I would avoid that one.

Bit slow to this party but has anybody since tried 87183? 

On PS paint ? :) 

Better/worse than purple cap glass bottle polycarbonate cleaner? Or just same liquid in a bigger plastic bottle. 

image.jpeg.82147de1cc03fc36911fdf0f3c680e88.jpeg