Sign in to follow this  
burakol

ESC for Technipower Motor

Almost completed my Hotshot rebuild. I decided to do a quick test run today. I decided to do away from the MSC and chose to put a TBLE02S paired with a Tamiya Technituned motor using a 16t pinion. 

I'm not sure if the ESC thermaled on me but after about 10minutes of full throttle running, it kept cutting off. Signal from the radio shuts off and no servo response whatsoever. After a quick on/off, it will run for a few seconds then shut off again. 

Should I consider a different ESC or change the pinion? I do have a 13t andt 15 pinion. I do have a spare HW1060 but I was planning on using it with a lower turn brushed motor. 

Thanks. 

I reckon the ESC is thermalling. I would try it with the 1060 and the 13t pinion and see how you get on. 

I will start with the pinion. It's a pain to open the electric box again of the HS. So when the ESC goes into thermal, is it a normal behavior that there is also no servo response as if the unit is turned off? At one point I was starting to think that my radio was also a culprit... 

13 hours ago, burakol said:

Almost completed my Hotshot rebuild. I decided to do a quick test run today. I decided to do away from the MSC and chose to put a TBLE02S paired with a Tamiya Technituned motor using a 16t pinion. 

I'm not sure if the ESC thermaled on me but after about 10minutes of full throttle running, it kept cutting off. Signal from the radio shuts off and no servo response whatsoever. After a quick on/off, it will run for a few seconds then shut off again. 

Should I consider a different ESC or change the pinion? I do have a 13t andt 15 pinion. I do have a spare HW1060 but I was planning on using it with a lower turn brushed motor. 

Thanks. 

Good point, no your steering servo should still work if the ESC gets too hot. Transmitter batteries ? loose wire connection somewhere?

26 minutes ago, Juictetin said:

Good point, no your steering servo should still work if the ESC gets too hot. Transmitter batteries ? loose wire connection somewhere?

Now I'm thinking it also might be the NiMh pack I used... the packs I have have been so unreliable... and the sole Lipo I have won't fit the HS. 

I stand corrected... the motor is not Technituned...

Its actually the Technipower... which is a lower turn motor. 

Technipower is a 23 turn motor, not particularly high revving or amp load, it may be that your ESC is struggling with it but to be honest, I would be surprised if it was that. 

Its a real head scratcher ! 

As a reference, I have used a Team Orion 17 turn motor, 28.5k rpm on that speed controller without a problem. Admittedly I may have just been lucky, it did get a bit hot!

Not sure if you've seen the thread on this page discussing this ESC but the official tamiya line is that it is only rated down to 25 turns. I know some people have used them without issue for lower turn motors but consider that the hotshot is a heavy 4wd with a small, completely enclosed mech box meaning extra load with no airflow, which could in turn lead to thermal shut down using motors others have used without issue. I would second the hobbywing 1060 ESC recommendation as it is rated to a much lower turn than the Tamiya ESC. 

In respect of the unresponsive steering servo  - could be a battery issue, could be a radio equipment issue, could be a servo or connection lead issue. If you can connect your lipo (I know you said it doesn't fit) but connect it outside of the car eg put the battery on the floor/worktop etc next to the car and connect it up and then try the steering. If it works and you can get good range (by just walking/moving further away) then you can be pretty confident it is the nimh battery that is at fault.

Hope all that makes sense and good luck.

7 hours ago, Silver-Can said:

Not sure if you've seen the thread on this page discussing this ESC but the official tamiya line is that it is only rated down to 25 turns. I know some people have used them without issue for lower turn motors but consider that the hotshot is a heavy 4wd with a small, completely enclosed mech box meaning extra load with no airflow, which could in turn lead to thermal shut down using motors others have used without issue. I would second the hobbywing 1060 ESC recommendation as it is rated to a much lower turn than the Tamiya ESC. 

In respect of the unresponsive steering servo  - could be a battery issue, could be a radio equipment issue, could be a servo or connection lead issue. If you can connect your lipo (I know you said it doesn't fit) but connect it outside of the car eg put the battery on the floor/worktop etc next to the car and connect it up and then try the steering. If it works and you can get good range (by just walking/moving further away) then you can be pretty confident it is the nimh battery that is at fault.

Hope all that makes sense and good luck.

Thanks. I was able run it with the Lipo yesterday for a very short moment since the pack was in storage mode. I will charge it up today and run at full throttle and see if I get better run times... it might very well be that the problem is due to a poor Nimh battery. I'm just about to toss them all and get myself some lipo. 

No worries mate. I'm no expert on the tble02s ESC as I've never had one but I know one of the tamiya ESC doesn't have a lipo cut off. If this one does then great, if it doesn't you'd need an external alarm that connects to the balance lead of the lipo. Sorry if you know this already 🙂

2 hours ago, Silver-Can said:

No worries mate. I'm no expert on the tble02s ESC as I've never had one but I know one of the tamiya ESC doesn't have a lipo cut off. If this one does then great, if it doesn't you'd need an external alarm that connects to the balance lead of the lipo. Sorry if you know this already 🙂

Thanks. The TBLE02S does not have a lipo cutoff.... coincidentally, I also dont have a lipo alarm as I havent really fully transitioned to using LiPo so I am very cautious with my runtime...anyhow, today was much better when I used the LiPo....no loss of signal whatsoever... at one point, I think the ESC thermaled as theres no forward/reverse, but steering response was present... motor was noticeably hot to the touch where it will burn the skin after holding it for about 5 secs or more.... I moved the timing back and hopefully that will help...