Sign in to follow this  
Juictetin

DT02 Brushed Motor Question

Sorry , this might be classed as a noob question...as the motor is on the left hand side on the DT02 (Sand Viper in my case) then rotational motors, such as Tamiya Sport Tuned, will be running in reverse. What are the consequences, will they run but just be slower?

How about brushed motors with advanced timing, I have an Orion 19t modified that I might put in but will advanced timing motors run okay in a DT02 ?

Don't worry - there are no stupid questions. We were all new to the hobby at some point.

The DT-02 uses standard rotation, so a Sport Tuned or any other motor timed for standard rotation would be running normally when going forwards.

If you look at the gearbox, you have the motor setting the pinion spinning clockwise when viewed from the endbell end - i.e. standard rotation. This sets the spur gear spinning anti-clockwise when viewed from the same side. Then there is a counter gear which spins clockwise again, which takes drive to the diff, spinning it anti-clockwise when viewed from the left, which makes the car go forwards.

Thanks. I get you. So with the motor on the other side, as on my Blitzer Beetle, it turns in the same direction but the gears operate in a different way to turn the wheels forward?

26 minutes ago, Juictetin said:

Thanks. I get you. So with the motor on the other side, as on my Blitzer Beetle, it turns in the same direction but the gears operate in a different way to turn the wheels forward?

That is correct, yes. The Blitzer gearbox lacks the counter gear of the DT-02, so there is one less change of spin direction within the gearbox, and the motor is mounted the opposite way, thus still driving the car forwards using standard rotation.

In the Blitzer, as with the DT-02, you have the motor spinning the pinion clockwise when viewed from the endbell end, but in this case it is on the right. The pinion spins the spur gear anti-clockwise, but it drives the diff directly, spinning it clockwise when viewed from the right, which drives the car forwards.

No apologies needed - it is all part of the fun!