Novamadcars

Holiday buggy repaint?

Evening today I received a re re holiday buggy for me and my nephew to build and bash he’s decided he don’t want the body in its original blue and wants it Kawasaki green. I’m wondering how I would go about it? Is it just a matter of sanding off the body Lay some primer down and then colour? I’m only asking as on the box it says body can not be painted.

If it's made of lexan then it has been painted from the inside, so it's not easy to change. I believe there are ways to remove the paint, but I have no experience of that.

The box speaks the truth. 

While there are various tricks to help adhesion, none are truly effective long term AFAIK. The paint will come off after a while no matter what you do, unless you keep it for shelf display or only very gentle use. 

Perhaps try a vinyl wrap instead?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

The box speaks the truth. 

While there are various tricks to help adhesion, none are truly effective long term AFAIK. The paint will come off after a while no matter what you do, unless you keep it for shelf display or only very gentle use. 

Thanks for the advice. I’ll have a look into vinyl wrap.

32 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

I like the idea of that - hope it works out

Painting the original Holiday buggy successfully is not impossible, but it sure is a pretty complicated and risky thing to try. And if you miss one you can ruin your body for good.

Two master Tamiya builders in Europe discuss here the appropriate methods: https://tamiyabase.com/forum/38-scratch-builds-paint-a-body-shop/53-painting-the-holiday-buggy?start=0

I have heard about using plastic primer for plastic bumpers, but can't assure you how good that works. I think TCer @terry.sc mentioned it years ago somewhere.

This one I particularly LOVE (If I ever have the chance to come across one of these buggies, well, I'd love it to look half as good as this one) :ejercicio:

https://i.imgur.com/xOfQ3a0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mI8NneH.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/7/2014 at 4:48 PM, wigtype said:

No worries - here it is:

We bashed it about some more today & the paint is holding on really well. It flexes & takes scrapes with no marks, but hard hits that gouge the plastic do show... this has only happened on the front bumper as you see on the pics, so I might just protect that with a carbon sticker.

The video explains the process in detail. Great stuff! :blob7:

• Thanks 2

Just to let you know the end results of me trying to wrap the shell was not good. So time to start prepping for a paint job. What grade paper is recommended to key the bodyshell?