Green Tokyo

Do You Race a Tamiya Off Road?

Ok... 

Specifically, I've been looking at near by clubs...I'd like to get to a track and have a bash. I've got the buzz for giving racing a go. But I'm seeing a lot of Associated and TLR etc...would a brushless Tamiya actually hold up? 

How would you be received turning up to the track with a tamiya? This is purely on a club circuit level. 

Do you race a Tamiya Off Road buggy? If so, what's your setup? Motor etc? 

All I'm saying is, these are pretty cheap kits compared to an Associated kit (for example). Yes I've been looking, because I'm actually wanting to give this a blast. 

My nearest 1/10th off road seem very welcoming about bringing a TT02B for some personal time...but what would a kit like this need to actually be competitive? 

Or.. Is it a fact that you should hit the button and bite the bullet on the initial cost of a higher end kit like Associated or TLR etc? 

Just asking because I'm considering options track wise. Hope that's ok! 

Thanks! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Green Tokyo said:

How would you be received turning up to the track with a tamiya?

At our Glasgow Club (And most clubs I'm guessing) , you'd be fine, you wouldn't be competitive, but tbh, if you've not driven on a track before, turning up with all the best gear, you probably wouldn't be that much quicker anyway! 

On a relaxed club night, the guys would probably fit wheels/tyres for you, best to suit the track (bearing fronts might be an issue, not many carry spares of those 😂) , maybe swap out shock oils etc, and if we knew you where coming, set up the spare, club car, we've got.

We also set out wee coloured cones, for braking points , turn in, apex etc , to help new guys (And some of us others too...🙄

Once you're a member of a club, or at least been a few times, people know you're keen, and looking for a competitive car, one will turn up, it might be one of the guys cars from last year, and they've got another (some of the sponsored guys might go through 2 cars a year anyway), but perfectly serviceable.

Get yourself along, talk RC for a few hours, and have fun 👍

• Like 3

My son started with a Dessert Gator DT02 and did fine with it for 6 months, before moving onto a 2nd hand AE B4.

check out my thread ‘Diary of a Pit Dad’ somewhere further down in this section.

Not many people race Tamiya at club level in the UK. Unless you’re a die-hard Tamiya fan, you’ll want to run a brand that is popular at your local club. Typically this will be either Schumacher, AE or Yokomo.

That way there will (should) be plenty of support when something breaks or goes wrong (and it will 😁).

• Like 4

If you are buying a car to race, then I wouldn't spend the money on a Tamiya. If you have one already to take along, take it and see how it goes. Most clubs have some kind of allcomers class so you can just run what you have to give it a go.

The main issue with a Tamiya is they will break a lot more than a race kit like those Associated and TLR you see there. The race kits are really durable and designed to handle the big jumps at a modern track.

To start I would look for a secondhand chassis, preferably from a club member so its already setup for the club (most people will upgrade a few things to suit the club,  they don't add to the resale value but can save you quite a bit compared to buying them). Strip it down, check bearings, redo oils etc and put it back together so you know how to repair it when it breaks.

Get a decent servo, either new or secondhand. It doesn't really matter how much you spend as you'll have them for years. I like the Savox 1258TG which is great value for money and one I bought secondhand 3 seasons ago is still going strong.

I would get a cheapish new ESC and motor. I find my ESC last a couple of seasons before giving up, so a secondhand one may not last long before it dies. Something like the Trackstar 80a turbo is a great entry level ESC. Check what classes they run though, it won't run low turn motors. SkyRC TS120 is another good option to start and will run anything required. You could buy a motor secondhand or a cheap new one, it doesn't really matter, but you will reach a point where you will want a new one. They get faster each generation, but initially won't be holding you back.

Edit. Onroad is a different story. TRF420, TA07 or TB05, TRF103 or F104 and even older stuff like TA05 or TB03/4 are all capable club racers, some require some upgrades, others are perfect out of the box.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Green Tokyo said:

I'm seeing a lot of Associated and TLR etc...would a brushless Tamiya actually hold up? 

Tamiya don't make a buggy that's designed for racing right now. Who knows when they will again. Closest that are still readily available are probably the DN01 and the DF03. You could make either borderline competitive depending on the track; the DN01 is basically the old TRF201 rear motor 2wd racing buggy so it's got good genes and is tough. But as above you'd need to carry a lot of spares or a spare car as it's likely you'd be the only person racing that chassis. 

If you want to see the old racing buggies head over to the TRF Off Road group on Facebook.

• Like 2

I have to agree with everyone here. If you have a car to run at the moment, give it a go.

Having the latest and greatest gear won't make you the fastest on the track.

I'd recommend buying something second hand that has all the hop ups already.

Buy what is common at your track, set up advice and parts can be shared easily.

• Like 5

What everyone else said. Don't forget you will also need to find out what transponder the club uses too. Most don't do loans and handouts these days. I guess first couple of times you could run untimed, but even 2nd hand my transponder for my touring car cost 35 quid. They just plug into the spare plug in your receiver, so they don't need special treatment. 

As mentioned, tyres/wheels are key. With the tt02b at least its 12mm hex all round. Find out from the club what's the go to tyre spec, and maybe see if anyone is selling some used. Some racers will sell tyres/wheels after 4 heats which will be perfectly good for a beginner to run with. 

If you are hellbent on running Tamiya, in 4wd a db01 with hop ups or trf511 would run nicely enough. In 2wd, i know people running competitively in the uk using tamiya based buggies, starting with a TRF201, but converting it using a Cobra Racing Products chassis and battery holder and one of my CTE RC 3 gear short laydown mid motor transmission conversions. Admittedly you have to REALLY want to do this, as its a bit of a project, but they do run well.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/cotic-rc?section=TRF211+%2F+TRF201+3+Gear+Layback%2FShort+Laydown+Gearb&sort=

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Don't forget you will also need to find out what transponder the club uses too.

That's a good shout! 

Bit of info-

The cheaper, half the price,  "MRT" Personal Transponders (PT) ,used to work with all the lap timing systems, but, My Laps (who make the timing system) altered the software in an update, so if a club updated their timing system and/or sent it off for repair, when it returned, the MRT pt wouldn't work.

90% of the people I know, (I've 2, cloned) run MRT , so the majority of clubs aren't updating systems.

MRT on facebook-

https://m.facebook.com/Model-Racing-Technology-698590320257568/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Admittedly you have to REALLY want to do this, as its a bit of a project, but they do run well.

Challenge accepted...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Howards said:

Challenge accepted...

Go for it! Message for advice if you need. Ken and Jason at Cobra are available via their facebook page. 

• Like 1

A couple of years ago someone in the north east regional was running a madcap and someone else a hotshot. Madcap went ok. The hotshot, not so much. But this was on grass which I think is fairly atypical these days. Most clubs drive high grip carpet if in door and astroturf, which is still relatively high grip if their track is outdoors. Most of the tamiya cars have too high CG and lack adjustability to be competitive, except for the top end kits like TRF etc. Ultimately, if you're happy pootling around the track then tamiya are fine. If you want to try to win stuff then proper race kits are the way to go - schumacher, Associated, Kyosho etc.

Edit. Just to add if you do like the idea of racing tamiya have a look at the iconic meetings. It is racing but more relaxed and you'd be racing against cars of similar ability, rather than the latest cutting edge stuff.

• Like 1

Wow, Thanks for all the replies folks! I'm taking in a lot of what you have all said.

I've been in touch with people at the track and I'm going to book in for a practice session, and hopefully meet some of the other folks there. I'll get to see what people are running, and what classes are available etc. One day I would like to upgrade to a more race standard kit like an Associated, Kyosho or TLR etc...(I have an old Kyosho nitro, but it's diffs are stripped), but I'm not willing to shed that amount of cash just yet. There's other things in life right now that need taking care of.

But, I've been told i'm more than welcome to book in and have a bash around the track. I think I'm allowed 3 sessions before I need the BRCA membership to carry on. So, one step at a time. However, the track is still closed due to the pandemic and I've been informed that it re-opens in August all being well. Can't wait to give a track run a go! I just feel a little apprehensive that if there's other people practicing for a race day, wanting to setup their cars etc...and I'm getting in the way through being inexperienced on a track.

Also, it turns out they held a buggython event where each team had to build a TT02B (Plasma Edge II) and race them as standard. Looked a bunch of fun! So I guess a TT02B can handle their track.

Anyways..TLDR. I've been in touch, and I'm taking my car for a bash on the track the moment it's available. My better half may not like where this leads. She's seen how much a race buggy costs :O Hopefully there's plenty more overtime at work :D

• Like 4

Hey bashing around a tamiya can be fun.   Having fun is the most important part.  But if you're actually racing in a tournament with good racers out there (even local), it won't look so good driving a tamiya in terms of racing.  There's a reason why you see Associated, Xray, TLR, and Kyosho out winning championships .  You see racers learn from other racers.  And you won't find anyone doing real racing using a tamiya because there really isn't any racers doing it to model after.  Plus you're going against people that have racing  kits that are built for the modern track.  That's not what Tamiya is about.

I've raced locally and regionally for years.  Even when I was a kid, I was lapping tamiya frogs, foxes, and hornets with my Ultima.  And I was being lapped by rc10's (I wasn't as good as the rc10 adults).  

But try it out.  Nothing wrong with seeing what happens.  What Tamiya were you looking at racing?  There are some local races that have a novice open class.  That might be the race you want to get in.

17 hours ago, Green Tokyo said:

I just feel a little apprehensive that if there's other people practicing for a race day, wanting to setup their cars etc...and I'm getting in the way through being inexperienced on a track.

Give them room, let them take the racing lines and you'll be fine.

4 hours ago, legacygt777 said:

Having fun is the most important part. 

Exactly. If it's not fun, it's not worth doing.

Some people take it too seriously and it can affect your own enjoyment.

I have experienced some pretty poor behaviour on the rostrum.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, legacygt777 said:

Hey bashing around a tamiya can be fun.   Having fun is the most important part.  But if you're actually racing in a tournament with good racers out there (even local), it won't look so good driving a tamiya in terms of racing.  There's a reason why you see Associated, Xray, TLR, and Kyosho out winning championships .  You see racers learn from other racers.  And you won't find anyone doing real racing using a tamiya because there really isn't any racers doing it to model after.  Plus you're going against people that have racing  kits that are built for the modern track.  That's not what Tamiya is about.

I've raced locally and regionally for years.  Even when I was a kid, I was lapping tamiya frogs, foxes, and hornets with my Ultima.  And I was being lapped by rc10's (I wasn't as good as the rc10 adults).  

But try it out.  Nothing wrong with seeing what happens.  What Tamiya were you looking at racing?  There are some local races that have a novice open class.  That might be the race you want to get in.

Of course :) I don't think I will race the Tamiya after some advice I was given here. I'm just going to go to the track with it on some personal time and have a bit of fun with it and get to know the folk down there. 

Hopefully get talking to some people etc. I do have my eyes on an Associated kit, but I want to scope out the club and see if I want to jump in before throwing the cash around. 

• Like 1

Well, I still race a TRF201XMW... but since I only race offroad about 0.5 times per year, I'm probably not the best example!

• Like 2

There were tamiyas that were made for brushless set up. They stopped making them around 2015 so you'd most likely have to source a used one.

TRF201, 211, 501X, 511X, 503X AND TRF502X. 

I know the last post in this thread was a while back now, but having got back into RC recently, I've seen a few Tamiya Racing Fighters at our club.  Not going to win the A-final (perhaps???!), but in the lower finals it's as much about getting round the track cleanly and consistently.  One guy was doing quite well until I think his transponder packed in.  He did say it was a bit of a handful with the front end being so light but he was still going pretty quick and consistent for a new guy.  My mate and his son have just got one each and again, fairing ok amongst the slower racers first time out.  They've set them up low (we run on astro) and I've had a drive, they handle pretty well.  They've since got faster motors and a few of the alu parts to strengthen the front end and are going to see where it gets them.  And there's enough adjustability in them before considering the different position pivot blocks and all the myriad of other adjustments the more expensive buggies have.

Importantly, everyone at the club is welcoming and no one really cares what you drive, just keen to have like-minded people to race and chat with.  

• Like 3

On 5/22/2021 at 11:34 AM, Mtbtomo said:

Importantly, everyone at the club is welcoming and no one really cares what you drive, just keen to have like-minded people to race and chat with.  

That's what a club is all about, they're just not scary.

While I agree 100% with the general sentiment of this thread - there's a twisted little part of me that wants to build one of the more capable 4WD Tamiya buggies (DB-01, etc) and set it up for indoor carpet and see what happens. How it handles, how tunable it is, even how people react to it. The race community around me is so blind to Tamiya I could probably fool them into thinking I have some exotic new car if I showed up with the Super Avante when it releases.

Well...at least until they get an up-close look at it. lol

11 hours ago, Unknown Driver said:

While I agree 100% with the general sentiment of this thread - there's a twisted little part of me that wants to build one of the more capable 4WD Tamiya buggies (DB-01, etc) and set it up for indoor carpet and see what happens. How it handles, how tunable it is, even how people react to it. The race community around me is so blind to Tamiya I could probably fool them into thinking I have some exotic new car if I showed up with the Super Avante when it releases.

Well...at least until they get an up-close look at it. lol

Been there, done that. Nothing fundamentally wrong with a DB01 at the time of release, but 4wd carpet buggy racing has moved on a lot since then, you'll spend a lot of time and money on upgrading the car but won't cause any surprises.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Unknown Driver said:

there's a twisted little part of me that wants to build one of the more capable 4WD Tamiya buggies (DB-01, etc) and set it up for indoor carpet and see what happens.

We all love the underdog, and we all love tamiya on here, but, my prediction, would be you'd spend ages setting it up, possibly spending a fair bit of money on upgrades in the process, just to be the same as someone of the same skill level ,with a new car out of the box, who can then quickly ask someone in the club or go online ,and get a set up that's close enough to only need a few tweeks their your personal style.

This is the Schumacher L1 Evo in the hands of one of the best in the world - Michal Orlowski, 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157626778151433&id=180970366432

Modern cars have the ability to go incredibly quick, and it's beneficial for a RC Race company to have everyone who buys their car, to be able to go quick, so set ups are posted online.

Set up for the run above.

https://site.petitrc.com/setup/schumacher/setupcatl1/L1Evo_MichalOrlowski_TitanRCArena20210107/

Older cars have less of a parts back up/availability,  break a wishbone on a race weekend, that could be you, but if you've a car that a few people are running, then you've a high chance someone will have a spare for you to buy/lend.

If you've already got a DB01, then perfect, turn up and race, you may get a few , WOW not seen one of those for a while, I used to race one of those, my dad used to have one of those, before I was born....😳

For me, if you're buying a car to race, then goto the club, and see what cars they're racing first, ask questions, you usually find the sponsored quick guys might go through 2 cars a year ,and sell their old ones off cheaper, especially to a keen RCer who's starting out. I've just bought (well a few months back now) an L1 with the evo upgrades for £150.

If you turn up with a tamiya lunchbox, a club should be able to give you track time, (unless it's a championship race, they might be pressed for time anyway). We've had hornet's, lunchboxes and boomerangs run a round our track, then they've borrow the 'club car' (Associated B5), and then bought a 'race car' .

• Like 1

Carpet's one thing. On an old-school dirt track lap times between stock modern and pre-96 vintage buggies are quite similar.

I can't see why you couldn't race a Super Astute or Top Force on this style of track and keep up with the modern buggies.

Wooders/SOSidge - that's the same advice I'd give if I heard someone thinking about doing that.

I've driven most of the current generation of carpet cars (B6, T6.2, SC6.1, Cougar Laydown, etc). Right now I have a CAT L1 that I've run for the last year or so in 13.5 'stock'. It's easily one of the best handling carpet cars I've ever had and I have zero delusions that any current Tamiya car would be able to hang with it. BUT - I like practicing, tuning, and experimenting - so just getting a "what if" answer to throwing down a Tamiya on the track would be fun.

And since I'd only be running on carpet - when the experiment was over it could go straight to the shelf with the rest of my collection. LOL

Sir Crashalot...I doubt that the Super Astute or Top Force would hang with a modern buggy on any track surface (though maybe I should reserve judgement on the Super Astute, who knows...). They're significantly less adjustable than the typical Losi, Associated, Schumacher cars which becomes a big disadvantage when you're trying to do more than just get around the track. The only exception I'd make is with something like the TRF501, but those are getting rare and are not cheap.

I WISH Tamiya would bring back the TRF. I'd switch over to them in a heartbeat.

10 hours ago, Unknown Driver said:

Sir Crashalot...I doubt that the Super Astute or Top Force would hang with a modern buggy on any track surface (though maybe I should reserve judgement on the Super Astute, who knows...). 

Yeah, probably.

The first offroad race meet I went to as a spectator was dominated by Tamiyas. When I started racing a few years later nobody had them.